It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2012, 05:43 AM   #1
(male)

jsanjaeke HB User
stopping Zoloft; sex drive, emotional

I am 29 and have had depression since my late teens. I have been on and off antidepressants a few times. I donít like taking drugs for depression because it makes me feel weak to have to take something to feel good or to get through the day. I know thatís not a good way to think, but I canít get around it.

I had been on zoloft for about a year and a half. I felt good on it but wanted to try to go off if it. I finally went off zoloft. I reduced my does slowly over about two months. I thought that would make for an easy transition, I was wrong. I had very bad head aches and would get very dizzy. Now I have been off for about two months and notice I have lost all sex drive or interest in sex. I know people have problems while on antidepressants but this was not the case with me, but now that I am off zoloft I have no sex drive.

I have also noticed I have been extremely emotional particularly when watching moves. I am a man and I almost am in tears during every emotional part of a movie. There is nothing wrong with being emotional but it isnít me and I have never been like this in the past.
I just wanted to know if anyone has had this type of experience going off of Zoloft or other antidepressants.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:03 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

flamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB User
Re: stopping Zoloft; sex drive, emotional

Hello jsanjaeke.

I'm in the process of decreasing my Zoloft dosage because of the lack of emotion and tiredness I experienced at the higher dosages I've taken. A challenge I've been going through is working out whether it's depression or the meds that's the cause of these symptoms.

Perhaps its depression that causing your lack of interest in sex and being unusually emotional? Have you experienced these symptoms when getting off of any of the other antidepressants you've tried?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2012, 08:05 AM   #3
(female)

DirtCleen HB User

I have been off of zoloft for about a year now. I hardly remember the feeling of being on anti depressants. Probably because they made me feel distant from myself. But what I do remember is coming off of them.
Much like your post, the reason I wanted to stop taking them is because I felt embarrassed at the time for having to take a pill everyday just to cope with my life. I would take them at night when everyone was asleep so I didn't have to look my family in the eye. After being off them for so long I feel silly now for thinking a pill would change the way my family and friends think of me. I've stopped feeling weak about taking them because I realized that everyone goes through hard time in there life but taking a stand is where real strength shows. It doesn't matter if its a pill, a change in eating, or just setting a new goal for the day.
When I decided to quit. I just stopped. I didn't slowly take myself off them. I threw out all the pills and stopped calling my doctor. It was difficult for a while I had to adjust to the emotions that all came flooding back to me at once. But after being happy for so long on the pills it was easier to find comfort even without them.
I did have the same problem as you though. I cried at almost every thing I heard. Especially during movies. (Something sad always has to happen in a movie...) little things would set it off. But sometimes its good to just cry and get It all out. For me I just used it as a part of the healing process. The hardest thing overall for me to adjust to was my lack of interest in sex.. (difficult for an 18 year old girl) but in time even that passed.

The Following User Says Thank You to DirtCleen For This Useful Post:
jsanjaeke (12-09-2012)
Old 12-09-2012, 03:54 AM   #4
(male)

jsanjaeke HB User

Well it has been a couple of months since I have been off Zoloft and I feel like I have evened out emotionally from the extremes that I was going through while going off the Zoloft. From my experience of going off Zoloft cold turkey, DO NOT DO IT. Get help from your doctor and go off slowly. I am just now starting to feel normal. Going off Zoloft cold turkey, was rough to say the least. I was extremely dizzy, walking around corners I felt like I was going to fall over like I had vertigo. I was always tired and very angry, felt like I would have fits of rage where I had to get away from everyone. I think going off Zoloft without tapering also made me EXTREMLY depressed, it seemed to amplify all of my emotions, it was horrible. Going off I also gained about 25 pounds in the first month or so. I am not sure if I was eating more due to emotions or the chemical changes? Recently I have lost about 8 pounds without any change in diet or excising. I am not sure if this is my body bouncing back after the sudden change of stopping the Zoloft.
I am still having the same depression problems that I was having before. I went to a new doctor because I recently relocated and I was interested in going back on the Zoloft or something and she said that I just needed to be happy. I am not sure how to do that, she did not really give me any tips but I guess I will try to be happier.

Closed Thread