It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2012, 08:52 AM   #1
(female)

ires HB User
Depression?

Hi everyone. First of all I'd like to say that I don't know if this is appropriate, if I shouldn't be posting this in this board, so I apologize in advance. I don't know what I should do now and I really hope someone could help.

I don't know if I'm depressed. I've read sites on symptoms on depression but I don't know if I'm just, what my friends call, being ''emo'', being ''sad'', being in a state that doesn't count as depression, or if I really am depressed.

I can concentrate, my appetite is normal and my grades are doing fine. During the day I am usually fine, and am able to socialize.

But sometimes during the day, and every night (like now) I feel a sense of worthlessness and helplessness washing over me - it's as if it's weighing me down and has put a perpetual fog on my brain. Sometimes I sink into bouts of self-loathing. Previously I used to cry myself to sleep but it's better now. But that sense of worthlessness never fades though.

I don't know. Am I depressed? Or is this just a phase of teenage angst? A year back, I couldn't eat, I couldn't sleep and there was a sense of worthlessness, though not as strong as now. I don't want my parents knowing about this so I've never tried to seek any professional help, though I've been talking about it to my friends but I don't think they see it as something serious (and maybe it's not? maybe I'm making too big a deal of it? I don't know)

Please help. Thank you so much.

Last edited by Administrator; 10-02-2012 at 09:20 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to ires:
Phoenix (10-02-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2012, 10:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User
Re: Depression?

hi there welcome to the board and first let me say please don't apologize!! its what it is here for. To vent, talk, whatever. I have problems with depression and it sounds like me you are having a bit of it as well. Not sure of your age there may be some hormones playing in there too.

and about your parents, is there one that your closer to than the other? maybe you could try talking to that one? Don't be embarrassed please. Its a chemical thing in the brain. You might just need to go see someone, get evaluated and maybe everything is fine (I'm no dr.).

Do you have a part time job? That may help, keeping busy helps. Or even volunteering. My son did some volunteer work w/ the rescue squad, hated hated the idea of it at first, fought me tooth and nail I'm telling ya. But once
he got into it he LOVED it. Stayed with it for 4 yrs. He also did volunteer work at a local hospital one summer before that. didn't like that as much to be honest.

Let me know what you decide to do, ok? Cathy

The following user gives a hug of support to noevr:
Phoenix (10-02-2012)
Old 10-02-2012, 11:30 AM   #3
(female)

ires HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by no34evr View Post
hi there welcome to the board and first let me say please don't apologize!! its what it is here for. To vent, talk, whatever. I have problems with depression and it sounds like me you are having a bit of it as well. Not sure of your age there may be some hormones playing in there too.

and about your parents, is there one that your closer to than the other? maybe you could try talking to that one? Don't be embarrassed please. Its a chemical thing in the brain. You might just need to go see someone, get evaluated and maybe everything is fine (I'm no dr.).

Do you have a part time job? That may help, keeping busy helps. Or even volunteering. My son did some volunteer work w/ the rescue squad, hated hated the idea of it at first, fought me tooth and nail I'm telling ya. But once
he got into it he LOVED it. Stayed with it for 4 yrs. He also did volunteer work at a local hospital one summer before that. didn't like that as much to be honest.

Let me know what you decide to do, ok? Cathy
Thank you so much! : ) I am seventeen this year. It's not that I'm embarrassed to talk to my parents but... I don't know. I don't want this to blow up, and they do tend to overreact.

I don't have a part time job but I do volunteer work 3 times a week. I always suspected that the main source of my feelings of worthlessness came from the commitments I have/should have - good grades, good portfolio etc. - and I don't think I'm the type for it, so it simply perpetuates into a vicious cycle and I have no idea how to stop it.

Thank you again (: You have no idea how much this means.

The following user gives a hug of support to ires:
Phoenix (10-02-2012)
Old 10-04-2012, 07:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

hi there again, are you saying you feel pressure to get the good grades to do the volunteering, etc?

I was wondering if you didn't do the volunteering what would you do with your time? is there something else you'd rather do? are you planning on going to college once you graduate? there is a lot of pressure on folks these days especially in school.

You know, I don't know how you feel about it, but maybe you could speak with someone at the school if you don't feel like talking w/ your parents. They most certainly know more than we do about this stuff.

Let me know what you decide,k? at least you're asking questions. some folks don't. that's what this board is for. (((HUG)))) Cathy

Old 10-05-2012, 11:12 AM   #5
(female)

ires HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by no34evr View Post
hi there again, are you saying you feel pressure to get the good grades to do the volunteering, etc?

I was wondering if you didn't do the volunteering what would you do with your time? is there something else you'd rather do? are you planning on going to college once you graduate? there is a lot of pressure on folks these days especially in school.

You know, I don't know how you feel about it, but maybe you could speak with someone at the school if you don't feel like talking w/ your parents. They most certainly know more than we do about this stuff.

Let me know what you decide,k? at least you're asking questions. some folks don't. that's what this board is for. (((HUG)))) Cathy
Hello. Yeah And it's really stupid because most of the pressure comes from myself and I don't know how to deal with it.

I'd probably have more time to rest and recuperate and spend time with friends? I don't mind doing volunteering but on top of which I have projects and school work and event planning and club activities and... Yeah I plan to go to college or rather it's expected of me to go to college

I'm just afraid that the people in school may contact my parents or my teachers and I just don't want people to worry y'know? They've done so much and all I am is being a burden.

Thank you so much once again. It took me a year just to get myself to register for this board and I'm so glad.

Old 11-24-2012, 02:23 PM   #6
(female)

lovedoll HB User

hey
i understand what you are going through because ive been there i felt that and it sucks....im no doctor but im going to have to say yes you are falling into a depression if not you are already there.. im not going to try and ell you what to do to make it better but tell you that your not alone for months i went to school and acted like everything was fine,,, but deep down i knew i wasnt ok people though i was but i wasnt it go soo bad i knew i wouldnt be able to do what i was doing for much longer so i did tel my parents.. 4 years later im now 17 almost 18 and im still dealing withh depression but not as bad never apoligize for your feelings they are yours and yours alone... i adk only one thiong of you that whhen you wake up and before you go to bed you look in the mirror and say 3 positive things about yourself.. yes i know that sounds funny but trust me it works
never apoligixe for your feelings they are yours and yours alone
ally

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: lovedoll
Phoenix (11-24-2012), Psychologos (11-27-2012)
Closed Thread