It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2012, 07:46 PM   #1
(female)

screamemily HB User
The Real World

I'm a college sophomore. I've also had depression, anxiety, SAD and ADHD since I was in Elementary school. I've gone to multiple therapists, was admitted into the psychiatric ward for two weeks when I was 16 for multiple reasons and everything keeps getting worse. I'm sad every day. I've been having paralyzing anxiety attacks and honestly I'm just scared. I'm only in my third semester at school and I'm already two semesters behind. I'm afraid that I will never succeed. That this will never go away. I guess I'm just looking to see how many people are as lost as I am. Or to see if this is possible to overcome.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

flamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB User
Re: The Real World

Hello screamemily.

Yes, I can relate to some of what you're going through. I've long since worried about whether or not I would be able to succeed in life. For a period of time I was quite depressed and I had serious doubts as to whether I would be able to finish my undergraduate degree program. Therapy and medication has helped to improve my mood and outlook. I've completed my undergraduate classes and am now working on my graduate classes.

Do you feel any of your previous therapists were helpful? Have you tried any medication to manage your depressive and anxiety symptoms?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2012, 10:38 PM   #3
(female)

screamemily HB User

Yes, some of my therapists have been helpful, but only short term. I've been on medication for years and been admitted into the hospital. I've tried exercising, eating right, taking vitamins, sleeping the right amount, sun lamps, occupational therapy... everything. I feel so lost. I'm almost halfway through my four years and I'm a year behind

Old 10-21-2012, 10:45 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

flamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB User

Are you currently seeing a therapist? Is it possible for you to see one for the long term? Do any of the medications help? Or do the side-effects just make things worse for you?

Old 10-21-2012, 10:49 PM   #5
(female)

screamemily HB User

I've been seeing the same therapist for a few years and she helps but her words can only go so far. And as for the medication. I honestly can't even tell that I'm on it. And the side affects are pretty bad.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:17 PM   #6
(female)

Jammy23 HB User

I completely understand, I'm going through the exact same thing right now. I've been seeing a therapist for a while now and it only helps for a few days and had to switch meds because of the intense side effects. I find myself thinking about school and how I should have graduated by now makes it so difficult to continue on, but you know instead of seeing it long term, try making it per semester or per month or even per week. I think it's less overwhelming. I have faith that you will succeed in graduating. I'll be rooting for you! From one lost student to another.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:31 PM   #7
(female)

screamemily HB User

Aw well thank you. I screwed myself over this semester but hopefully I'll get a new start in January.

Closed Thread

Tags
anxious, confused, depressed, lost, scared