It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012, 01:05 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User
Can Depression Make You think your sick

I always get the winter blues and I am going through it now. I exercise and I am on a supervised eating plan to lose weight. I have already had a physical and found out I have thyroid problems. Anyway, I have been stressed out for a long period of time and now it turned into depression. Negative thoughts about everything. I meditate to help change but now I have focused on my body. I feel pain in my knees and I think the worse like "oh no will I need knee surgery" or if I get a pain in my liver area "oh no, I have cancer" my question is Can depression make you feel sick like physical symptoms - say pain in the legs or stomach whatever. I know the mind is a powerful thing. I guess subsconciously I am really worried about my weight - like I really messed my body up and it is too late to fix it.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

flamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB User
Re: Can Depression Make You think your sick

Hello gigi11.

Yes, I think depression can cause unexplained aches and pains in your body. Being stressed out too much can also take a toll on the body. Have you tried talking to a therapist to help change your negative thinking?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2012, 02:05 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesabers View Post
Hello gigi11.

Yes, I think depression can cause unexplained aches and pains in your body. Being stressed out too much can also take a toll on the body. Have you tried talking to a therapist to help change your negative thinking?
No, not yet, usually it is seasonal and then it goes away. I have never been on meds and never will. I mean if it gets real bad then I will seek help. I remember one time I was depressed, I kept getting back pain and I swore something was wrong with me so I went to the doctors and they tested me for everything. The doctor said I had nothing wrong. I saw a therapist after that. I think when your depressed you manifest pain in your body and then it appears so real.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:49 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Whoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi11 View Post
I always get the winter blues and I am going through it now.
I can totally can relate to that problem. I can even go through it when it's been rainy and overcast for a few days. So, as you know, one can only imagine what it's like to go through month after month of cold, dark and bad weather times. Although I've never technically been diagnosed with SAD, I'm pretty sure I have it to some degree and I'm guessing you may too. I'm not too sure what to do about it but I'd mention it to the doctor and he may have some ideas on how to help you.

As others have said, Yes your mind can play an incredibly large role in pain. It can both make you imagine pain and increase a problem area as worse than it really is. The mind is very powerful, so I'd get on top of things before they get out of hand. Just my two cents and I do wish you all the best of Luck going forward!

Closed Thread