It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2013, 06:07 PM   #1
(female)

clash77 HB User
Unhappy Can't Stop Crying and Overwhelming Saddness

Hi, I do not suffer from depression but from anxiety. My family has a history of depression that is my mom, grandma, brother (bipolar) and uncle and cousins. I just have a question about how to deal with overwhelming sadness.

My friends dog last night had to be put down. She is the sister of my dog. When I heard I cried for 2 hours then calmed down. I went to bed. Today when I woke up again I started thinking about the dog and crying again. When I snapped out of it I just was sad all day. My mom said to not be so sad and stop mourning the dog. I got in the shower and just broke down sobbing in the shower. I seem to just start having crying fits at random times and I cant pull myself out of it. Is this normal? I mean I know its not my dog but I loved her and all I can think about is her as a puppy and thinking about her in pain and needing to be put down. I am overwhelmed with sadness and so tired of crying. I feel like I won't ever stop crying and thats its going to haunt me forever. I just love and miss her so much all I want to do is sleep the days away until I can't cry anymore.

Is it normal to be so devastated by this? I feel like I cant pull myself out of this sadness and I cant stop thinking about her which leads me to cry. How do you cope with this? How can I make the crying and sadness stop? I feel like this isn't normal and I just think how can such a little innocent helpless dog have to suffer through such things that require her to be put down (which was the right thing to do to save her pain). It doesn't seem fair

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2013, 10:32 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Liarose006 HB UserLiarose006 HB UserLiarose006 HB UserLiarose006 HB User
Re: Can't Stop Crying and Overwhelming Saddness

It's okay to cry over this, it is a very sad time for you. I wouldn't be too worried if you cry for a few days but will stop crying, so don't worry. You seem to be a compassionate person and thinking about the pain and suffering of the dog is very upsetting to you. You will see it will get easier with time so don't be to hard on yourself. Remember this is an upsetting situation and your reaction is normal. Sorry to hear about the poor little dog.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:06 AM   #3
(female)

growagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB User
Re: Can't Stop Crying and Overwhelming Saddness

I agree, We all process grief differently, and we should take the time to mourn our losses before moving on. No one can decide when it is "normal" for anyone else to get through the mourning process. You will likely be able to begin to focus on all the good things the dog brought to everyone's life, and how happy you are to have had such a sweet animal in your life in good time.

You sound like a very sensitive and caring person and that will always make you more affected by these kinds of things. Just know that about yourself and allow yourself the extra space to process events in life.

Crying is always a healthy release, and holding in our feelings in can lead to our feelings being pushed deeper down, where they can be difficult to bring back up later.

Use this time to take extra good care of yourself, hot baths, pamper yourself and make sure you keep hydrated and well fed and rested, as much as possible.

Reaching out like you have done here is also a great way to ease yourself of the feeling of isolation you can get. You are not alone, we all have to go through difficult times, and having the comfort of others makes the pain pass faster.

Another dog lover...

Reply Reply