It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2013, 05:57 PM   #1
(male)

rickyabc123 HB User
help?

I am really struggling with the meaning of life and stuff. I feel like everything we strive for (happiness, accomplishment, etc.) is just result of evolution and I feel like those things kind of aren't real I guess. I have been happy my whole life until the last few months when I started thinking really deeply about this stuff. If life has no inherent meaning and we just die eventually anyway then how do I find meaning? I also struggle with hard determinism and thinking that we don't really make decisions. I feel like humans are just chemicals and atoms and a lot of what we see and feel is just an illusion.

People often give me advice to do certain things but since I feel that I can't make decisions I have a hard time believing I have control over my own life. Has anyone else struggled with things like that and does anyone have ANY advice they think might help me?

Old 07-13-2013, 01:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

keenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB User
Re: help?

Hi,
It seems that you are very analytical. Truth be told there is this existence we have and based on what I have seen, heard and understood about the universe is that staying alive and enjoying our time is what makes us humans. After all getting deeper and deeper into the meaning of life gets no where because beyond science no one really has any logical answer.

On a note relating to this board, maybe you can explain what has happened in recent times that has made you feel like this. Just in case its just knowledge maybe you have felt like this all your life and now you have realised that this question is bugging you all your life. Let me know more. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2013, 11:57 AM   #3
(female)

heretohelp13 HB Userheretohelp13 HB User

I'm glad you are asking yourself these questions. You are correct in feeling like these "worldly" things we strive for (good job, money, education, etc). are all insignificant in the big picture. They are important for our lives but unless you know the basic truth about life....it doesn't really matter right?

I personally discovered the truth of life in Christianity and Jesus Christ. I encourage you to ask Jesus to lead your heart to learn more about Him and God. Jesus is the meaning of life. And then you will understand why we are here and what your personal purpose really is.

Last edited by heretohelp13; 07-13-2013 at 11:58 AM.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:21 PM   #4
(male)

rickyabc123 HB User

Thanks for the reply keenobserver! I am only 21 years old but there is no doubt I have been really interested in philosophy and been a deep thinker for a long time now. I have always wondered a lot about hard determinism and if we really make decisions and what everything is and if life is an illusion and everything like that. I think deeply way more often than I should which is what inevitably led to this depression/anxiety about the meaning of life and what everything means. I have also been diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder a couple years ago but it was never anxiety about stuff this deep before.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:24 PM   #5
(male)

rickyabc123 HB User

Sorry heretohelp, I didn't see your post but I just don't think that is the right path for me. I consider myself somewhere between agnostic and atheist and I have thought about religion before. I think I would probably be happier at this point in my life had I been raised in a religious house but the unfortunate truth is that you cannot really choose what you believe. You just believe what you believe and I don't think that christianity is the answer for me, but I appreciate your reply.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:56 PM   #6
(female)

heretohelp13 HB Userheretohelp13 HB User

No problem. I understand sometimes people choose not to "believe" because they were not raised Christian, they see bad things happen in the world or their lives weren't the greatest and they come to not believe in a God. But the truth is....God is a good God and He loves you very much! You are His child and He is your Father.

You can choose to believe at any time in your life. When you ask Jesus to come into your heart and show you the meaning of life....He will do the changing...not you. Your life will be better than it ever was. I believe that is why so many people are depressed nowadays. Because we are searching for "answers" in all the wrong places (jobs, friends, money, etc). When truthfully....the answer is in the Bible.

There will never be another YOU. Nobody will ever be exactly you....because God created us all unique. The love, food, fresh air, sunshine, animals, family, friends, water, and laughter we get to enjoy are because God created it for our pleasure. How can anyone possibly believe all of LIFE came from just chemicals and evolution is a surprise to me. But that is just my perspective.

Best of luck to your journey to finding peace and happiness.

Last edited by heretohelp13; 07-13-2013 at 01:57 PM.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:54 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

keenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB Userkeenobserver HB User

Hi,
Depression is usually triggered by things that are not in your control and there are times when it may make no sense as to why it is affecting you but does trigger depression in anyone. At least now you can get medicine or advise to help you overcome this illness.

Reply Reply