It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2003, 11:18 AM   #1

Ms. J HB User
Just can't get warm..............

I'm usually a warm-blooded person... Always too warm when others are just right. But, this winter is different. (I've only been diagnosed since June.... so it's all new to me.) Whenever I go outside and the weather is cold, I become very uncomfortable in a short length of time... I get really, really cold... especially my hands (even tho' I wear gloves)... This lasts for hours after I come into the warm house.... I've been out putting up Christmas decorations this morning... but I've been inside now for over an hour and I'm still shivering... my hands are so cold I can hardly type this post. What the heck is this all about? Is this part of the disease process? I'm really concerned that this might be the beginning of some neuropathy problems... Is this common for diabetics? It's really unusual for me!!! (Before, I was NEVER cold.) I see my doc next week and will ask him about it, but just wondered if anybody else has the same problem.......

Old 12-11-2003, 11:40 AM   #2

cjheinz HB User
Re: Just can't get warm..............

Have you had blood tests lately? I was always the "hot" one in my family and in any crowd, until I became anemic. When my feet were so cold in the car in the middle of the summer that they cramped up, I knew something was going on. I also got leg cramps. Once my anemia came under control months later after tons of iron pills, my warmness returned. Just a thought.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2003, 12:51 PM   #3

Michael3462 HB User

Hi Ms. J,

I was wondering the same thing. I was never cold before. I hated wearing sweaters in winter because I was always too hot. I normally kept the heat in my house at 62 degrees, and I live in the Chicago area where it gets cold in winter. It hasn't been that could here yet this year and I am always freezing. I had to but a heavy sweaater to wear under my winter coat. I am also wearing gloves. I never wore gloves before, even when I was shoveling snow. I have an appointment with my doctor on 12/19, and this subject is on my list.

Stay Warm!

Old 12-11-2003, 02:13 PM   #4

Ms. J HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael3462
Hi Ms. J,

I was wondering the same thing. I was never cold before. I hated wearing sweaters in winter because I was always too hot. I normally kept the heat in my house at 62 degrees, and I live in the Chicago area where it gets cold in winter. It hasn't been that could here yet this year and I am always freezing. I had to but a heavy sweaater to wear under my winter coat. I am also wearing gloves. I never wore gloves before, even when I was shoveling snow. I have an appointment with my doctor on 12/19, and this subject is on my list.

Stay Warm!
My appointment is on the 15th.... we should compare notes after we get all the "professional opinions". It has me pretty concerned, and I'm sure it does you also... maybe it's nothing to do with the diabetes thing. Keep in touch.

Old 12-11-2003, 02:18 PM   #5

Griz1960 HB User

same here cant figure out why I cant take the cold any more I use to go out in the winter and shovel snow without gloves because my hands would always get to hot, i could ring water out of my gloves when I wear them, now this winter if I go without gloves my finger hurt so bad i cant stand it,, might check into the iron thing, also this is the first winter I have to wear slippers in the house, most of the time I ran bare foot, I guess I might have to move south,

Old 12-11-2003, 02:54 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

If you lost weight after diagnosis, that may very well be the cause of your not being able to take the cold. Body will take a year or so before it adjusts to less insulation. I lost 65 lbs. and froze the first winter and second. Hope this winter will be better. I wear those silky longjohns or freeze for sure, (called Cuddles? something or other).

Thyroid problems can also cause intolerance of the cold.

Anemia is another cause.

Old 12-11-2003, 04:45 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User

I have the same problem especially in my extremeties. I have always been given the reason of decreased circulation. Reduced blood flow can cause you to feel cold. I always know when that is the problem when I can rub my legs and feet and they feel warmer. HTH

Old 12-11-2003, 06:52 PM   #8

Feather HB User

Several years ago I developed a 'cold' problem. It turned out being the thyroid. Even though my thyroid reading fell within the acceptable range, it had differed from previous tests, and even though it had just changed a little bit, it was enough to start the coldness. After I took medication to fix the thyroid, my temperature returned to normal.

Though I think three of the most common diabetic problems causing coldness would be circulatory, thyroid and anemia.

Old 12-12-2003, 03:34 AM   #9
(female)

MyOMy HB User

My mother in law is diabetic, and they run kerosene heaters, their house is always 90 degrees, (way to hot for me), my husband is also diabetic and complains of always being cold. He has bad circulation, I blame it on the circulation, which is a conplication of being diabetic.

Old 12-13-2003, 05:20 AM   #10

Susan70 HB User

I am newly diagnosed Type II. I am also not handling the cold weather as I have in the past. Not sure it it is the diabetes or age creaping up. I do not that I have lost about 45 pounds since last winter so I don't have as much fat keeping me warm either. On my diet, I am only getting four fats/day - someone at work mentioned that the lack of fat to burn could make a difference too.

Old 12-13-2003, 08:45 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User

I really do think my problem is circulatory as I dont have these fabulous weight loss stories I have PLENTY of padding!!!LOL

The frustrating thing for me is getting people to understand that it goes beyond just feeling cold. I actually hurt when I get too cold. Anyone else feel pain like that?

Old 12-13-2003, 09:08 AM   #12

Susan70 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. J
I'm usually a warm-blooded person... Always too warm when others are just right. But, this winter is different. (I've only been diagnosed since June.... so it's all new to me.) Whenever I go outside and the weather is cold, I become very uncomfortable in a short length of time... I get really, really cold... especially my hands (even tho' I wear gloves)... This lasts for hours after I come into the warm house.... I've been out putting up Christmas decorations this morning... but I've been inside now for over an hour and I'm still shivering... my hands are so cold I can hardly type this post. What the heck is this all about? Is this part of the disease process? I'm really concerned that this might be the beginning of some neuropathy problems... Is this common for diabetics? It's really unusual for me!!! (Before, I was NEVER cold.) I see my doc next week and will ask him about it, but just wondered if anybody else has the same problem.......

I was told it was because with the cutting out of excess fats in the diet, it takes awhile for the body to deal with it and it is much harder to stay warm. I walk around the house with my space heater trying to stay warm!

Old 12-16-2003, 07:52 AM   #13
Inactive

Josie115 HB User

Have any of your doctors done thyroid tests? If your thyroid is abnormal, (low) it will raise your blood sugars and make you very sensitive to cold. Dry skin, sluggishness, cold hands and feet etc. are all symptoms. Even if the test appears to be in the normal range, if you take your temp each morning and it comes up lower than 98.6 it can indicate a low thyroid. Make sure they test that if they don't usually test it.

Old 12-19-2003, 01:06 PM   #14

Michael3462 HB User

I saw my doctor today and I asked him about a possible connection between diabetes and being cold. He said that he has not seen any cold problems arising from diabetes, but that it is probably because of all the weight I have lost and my dietary changes.

Old 12-20-2003, 05:59 PM   #15

Susan70 HB User

I have also been extremely cold this winter - I just can't seem to get warm. I walk around the house with my space heater. Everyone else seems to think that I'm nuts! My only reasoning is that I have lost about 50 lbs since last winter and no longer have the added insulation. Does having diabetes make you more susceptible to the cold?

Closed Thread