It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2004, 06:16 PM   #1

katieoh54 HB User
HAIC test

Hi,
I had a HAIC test done today. Was hoping the doctor would've ordered a fasting insulin but he wouldn't.
I have no idea what this test will tell me and if it's a good indicator of insulin resistance.
Thanks for any help.

Old 01-12-2004, 06:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User
Re: HAIC test

The Glycosylated Hemoglobin A1c is a test that will tell you what your average blood sugar was over the last 2-3 months. It tests the amount glucose molecules attached to the hemoglobin. Hemoglobin is found in your red blood cells. Since the red blood cells have a life of about 4 months, the amount of glucose in the cell gives a pretty accurate, for the most part, view of what is going on with your diabetes.

The best indicator of insulin resistance will be the A1c combined with a record of your blood sugars from day to day. Since the A1c is only an average, lows and highs can cancel each other out. This is why daily blood sugar monitoring is so important. HTH and good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2004, 06:59 PM   #3

katieoh54 HB User
Re: HAIC test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommyof4
The Glycosylated Hemoglobin A1c is a test that will tell you what your average blood sugar was over the last 2-3 months. It tests the amount glucose molecules attached to the hemoglobin. Hemoglobin is found in your red blood cells. Since the red blood cells have a life of about 4 months, the amount of glucose in the cell gives a pretty accurate, for the most part, view of what is going on with your diabetes.

The best indicator of insulin resistance will be the A1c combined with a record of your blood sugars from day to day. Since the A1c is only an average, lows and highs can cancel each other out. This is why daily blood sugar monitoring is so important. HTH and good luck
Thank you for the detailed explanation.
I haven't been dx'd with diabetes so I have no way of knowing what my blood sugars are day to day.
What do you think I should make of the test results after I recieve them? In October I had a fasting gluclose of 98 up from a non fasting gluclose of 77 1 1/2 years ago.
He wasn't going to do any testing until I told him my father, grandparents and all 10 of their children have/were diabetic.

Closed Thread