It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2004, 07:15 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User
Effects of a high protein diet on glucose levels

I have been having several problems over the past year and I have been working with many doctors trying to figure it all out. I am currently trying to learn everything that I can on diabetes. I would like to ask some you veterans about the effects of a high protein / low carb diet and it's effects on glucose levels.

Usually my glucose level is around 89 on a 12-hour fast. However, my last test showed 65 which is the lowest I have ever seen. I know it can fluctuate all depending on when, where, .... the blood was taken. I also know 65 is still within the normal range limits. Also, the week of the blood test was my week of starting a modified Atkins type diet. I am basically trying to limit sugar and simple carbs but mostly I have been eating hardly any carb of any kind. Anyway, I attributed the low glucose level on the diet.

I bought a self monitor kit and I plan to test myself when my symptoms occur to see where my glucose levels stood. Last night was my first time using the tester. The tester showed 60 and I hadn't eaten for about 9 hours. I ate dinner and tested it agin about an hour later and my results were 120.

This morning upon waking my results were 79. I know there is probably some variance around these numbers since I bought the cheap tester.

Anyway, I guess you can tell that I am trying to figure out if I may be hypoglycemic. When you are on a high protein diet like Atkins, can you expect your glucose levels to go down? I guess it makes logical sense that it should. However, how low should your levels go and how should you go about testing your levels (basically when to test - before breakfast, after breakfast, ...)? Like I said, I really only planned to test when I am showing symptoms but this may not be the way to go if i am testing for hypoglycemia. I need some info please. Thanks for taking the time to read my message.

Also, I keep referring to my symptoms. Not to get in too many details, but the major symptoms that I am talking about are a lightheadiness/funny (tingling) feeling w/ headaches at times. Since I started taking Limbitrol, I don't get headaches as often but I still get those weird head feelings. I was also suffering from vertigo and couldn't focus on objects (I like to call it jittery eyes). The vertigo and jittery eyes have pretty much abated too after I got on the Limbitrol. Also, when my symptoms were really bad, my blood work was always well within the normal ranges. I have had mris, ct scan, and many other tests which have all been negative which is why I am on my own personal journey of testing myself for everything to see if I can figure out what is going on.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2004, 10:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: Effects of a high protein diet on glucose levels

I don't understand why you are trying to lower your blood glucose levels. It seems to me that they were fine until you started Atkins, and now they're TOO low! 65 is not within the normal range limits. Normal limits fasting are 80-110; two hours after a meal, normal limits are 80-150 (depending on the amount of carbs ingested). Those levels are for non-diabetic people. Blood glucose levels below 70 are considered hypoglycemic.

Ruth

Old 01-30-2004, 08:10 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User

Thanks for replying but I am not trying to lower my glucose levels and I am doing the semi-Atkins diet to lose some weight. I was just wondering if an Atkins like diet can lower your glucose levels too much or should your glucose levels still be in the normal range even while on the diet. But I want to clarify that I am not trying to lower my levels. I know 65 is too low because usually my readings are in the 80's. However, that has changed since being on the diet. If the diet is what is causing my levels to be so low, I will stop the diet and lose weifht by watching all of what I eat instead of just concentrating on ridding the sugar and carbs.

Old 01-30-2004, 09:33 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

jojo64 HB User

Well, it seems pretty obvious that they diet is what's causing your levels to drop so low. I'm surprised you haven't just passed out on the floor!

Old 01-30-2004, 11:05 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo64
Well, it seems pretty obvious that they diet is what's causing your levels to drop so low. I'm surprised you haven't just passed out on the floor!

Well maybe it could be the reason. My problems started happening and continued happening before I ever tried an Atkins diet and my glucose levels were normal. I am now going to get off Atkins for awhile and continue monitoring my glucose levels to see if they get back to normal. Most of my problems are digestive related and head problems (tingling, headaches, virtigo,...) which is why I post more in the digestive disorders section. But when my glucose levels came back low and combine that with my digestive problems, I am just trying to see if there is any connection with the two. So I guess I will just eat a balanced diet for awhile to see how my levels do.

Old 02-03-2004, 01:11 AM   #6

jfx04 HB User

I was trying the atkins and my doctors told me to stop. It can seriously harm your kidneys especially if your a diabetic.

Old 02-03-2004, 07:10 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

There's no question that a low-carb diet (which Atkins is) can lower your blood glucose levels. In fact, many diabetics use high-protein low carb diets to gain control of their blood glucose levels.

However, for most people who are actually hypoglycemic, a high protein, low carb diet should greatly improve their symptoms. In hypoglycemia, the pancreas actually produces TOO MUCH insulin in response to carbohydrates. For people with hypoglycemia, the treatment usually IS a high-protein, low carb diet. If you are, in fact, hypoglycemic, I'm not sure why this would cause your blood glucose to go even lower.

Ruth

Old 02-04-2004, 02:12 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Eagle HB UserEagle HB UserEagle HB User

Could you use those glucose tablets, sometimes orange, that are over-the-counter for diabetics' use when they've taken too much insulin or missed a meal? (Then you'd also eat something protein.) You're supposed to eat smaller amounts MORE OFTEN, to stabilize blood sugar and also rev up your metabolism, which might help with the weight loss. On Atkins, you eat a couple of salads a day, don't forget. And my doctor said if you're developing kidney problems you'll know by having some swelling.

Maybe you should also carry a med-alert bracelet or necklace, because if you pass out you could die unless somebody gives you a glucose shot or something. Is your doctor taking you seriously enough? Didn't he or she tell you this? Did you report that you wait so long between meals?

I think pre-diabetics also go through a period of hypo-glycemia problems sometimes, so you'll want to always watch it.

Old 02-04-2004, 06:48 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User

Thanks for all the useful information. I am going to continue monitoring my glucose levels when I start having those weird feelings like my sugar level might be low. I had also read before I read your replies that an Atkins like siet should help metabolize blood sugar so I will continue to watch my sugar and carbs but not in the strictest sense. It's more of trying to find a balance of fats, protein and carbs by eating a healthy diet. Again thanks for your responses and I plan to go over all this with my doctor next week.

Old 02-07-2004, 09:47 PM   #10
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamQKitty
I don't understand why you are trying to lower your blood glucose levels. It seems to me that they were fine until you started Atkins, and now they're TOO low! 65 is not within the normal range limits. Normal limits fasting are 80-110; two hours after a meal, normal limits are 80-150 (depending on the amount of carbs ingested). Those levels are for non-diabetic people. Blood glucose levels below 70 are considered hypoglycemic.

Ruth
I agree with your post. however, on the nih.gov and web md websites it says for diabetics not below 70 and not over 170.

Closed Thread