It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2004, 12:25 AM   #1
(female)

Bea HB User
Glucose Levels and High Blood Pressure Medications

My glucose readings were either barely in the normal range or just slightly over the normal range for a couple of years but I was finally able to get them under control with diet and exercise. My glycohemoglobin readings were 5.6 and 5.7 for an entire year so I thought I was home free so long as I watched what I ate. Then, I was diagnosed with high blood pressure last year and I started taking a beta blocker and a diuretic. They did wonders for my blood pressure which is now consistently well within the normal range, but my glycohemoglobin shot up to 6.7 and has stayed in this range all year despite no change in my eating habits.

I've read that diuretics and some beta blockers can raise glucose levels. I've also read that some newer beta-blockers work just as well for high blood pressure without the accompanying increase in glucose levels. The ones I've heard of are dilevalol (Coreg), carvedilol (Coreg) and a beta blocker called celiprolol. Does anyone out there know anything about these drugs, either good or bad? Have you heard of any reasons why these drugs aren't recommended over eg atenolol which I'm presentlly taking?

I know that ACE Inhibitors don't affect glucose levels but my doctor says beta blockers would work better in my case.

My doctor doesn't think my glychohemoglobin is high enough to worry about and he's telling me to continue with the high blood pressure medications I'm currently taking. I want to be more proactive than that so I'm doing some research on my own.

Any information you could provide would be appreciated.

Bea

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2004, 05:31 PM   #2

Michael3462 HB User
Re: Glucose Levels and High Blood Pressure Medications

Bea,

I have had high blood pressure for years. I have been taking Benicar, Procardia XL and Lasix. When I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes in December 2003, my doctor told me to stop taking the Lasix. I noticed a slight rise in blood pressure, but then I made a huge effort to watch my sodium intake. My blood pressure is now lower than when I was taking the Lasix.

You should ask your questions to a pharmacist. They know more about drugs than the doctors.

Old 02-02-2004, 05:41 PM   #3
(female)

Bea HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael3462
Bea,

I have had high blood pressure for years. I have been taking Benicar, Procardia XL and Lasix. When I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes in December 2003, my doctor told me to stop taking the Lasix. I noticed a slight rise in blood pressure, but then I made a huge effort to watch my sodium intake. My blood pressure is now lower than when I was taking the Lasix.

You should ask your questions to a pharmacist. They know more about drugs than the doctors.

Hi Michael:

Thanks for responding to my posting. I'm taking 25 mg of Atenolol and the lowest dose they make of diazide for my pressure. I don't think that would be anywhere near as strong as Lasix but it still might be affecting my glucose.

I like your idea about discussing this with a pharmacist and I'll follow up on your suggestion.

Bea

Old 02-02-2004, 06:02 PM   #4
Inactive

JacquelineL HB User

I was taking 25 mg of atenolol when I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. My doctor switched me to Altace, an ace inhibitor because it would be better for my kidneys. My blood pressure is lower now, actually in an excellent range.

Closed Thread