It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2004, 08:24 PM   #1
(female)

marykatherine HB User
Talking Low blood sugar fix?

I was wondering if there are any low sugar quick fixes you all might recommend? I have been diabetic for a long time and usually have low sugars most of the time because I'm so active. I try to keep my weight down but the things I use to bring my sugar back up to normal levels are high in calories. I usually keep a bottle of Hawaiin Punch handy to use if needed. That alone is a meal!!!! But I'm looking for an alternative to this. Is there a shot available to bring the sugar levels back up? Something quick and low fat and maybe something that won't rot your teeth? I have tried the quick dissolving tablets but I don't care for them much since they only provide a temporary fix until you can get to something better. Any advice would be great. Thank you.

Old 02-24-2004, 08:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User
Re: Low blood sugar fix?

My favorites are Jelly Belly Beans and Tootsie Rolls. Jelly Belly's have 4 calories per bean but they also have 1g of carbs. They can raise your blood sugar faster than the Glucotabs can.

12 Tootsie Roll Midgees have 130 calories and 25g of carbs. To add to the benefit, the small amounts curb the cravings without going overboard. I think others will have solutions but mine are all candy

Last edited by Mommyof4; 02-24-2004 at 08:18 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2004, 08:29 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: Low blood sugar fix?

I know they usually tell you not to eat anything with fat because it takes longer to bring your blood sugar up, but I have had very good results with peanut butter crackers. There's a brand called Austen that packages them in fours, and one package is 15 g of carbs. They have the added advantage of lasting longer than straight sugar products because of the protein content.

The other thing that works for me is life savers. I picked a flavor that I like well enough to get down, but not so well that I'll be tempted to snack on them. Usually 3-6 work fine.

If your blood sugar is frequently going low, have you looked into changing your insulin or oral medication routine? Perhaps a different regimen would help prevent the frequent lows?

Another option, if you're on insulin, is an insulin pump. It works well for me, not only eliminating the frequent lows (and rebound highs) but also helping me lose weight because I'm able to keep my levels much more even with half the insulin, and I don't have to constantly treat lows anymore.

Ruth

Last edited by SamQKitty; 02-24-2004 at 08:30 PM.

Closed Thread