It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2004, 05:36 AM   #1
(female)

MyOMy HB User
A1C of 6.3

Hubby's last A1c was 6.3. The Dr. said that it was a little elevated but nothing to worry aabout. He likes readings between 4.5 and 5.5. A lady that I work with is diabetic and she said that she thought 6.3 was pretty good. Different websites say anything under 6 is really good. I have even had some people tell me that their Dr. said that anything under 7 is considered pretty good. What does 6.3 come out to if you convert it to a regular number? Opinions? Thanks.

Old 04-01-2004, 07:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

CobaltBlue HB User
Re: A1C of 6.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOMy
Hubby's last A1c was 6.3. The Dr. said that it was a little elevated but nothing to worry aabout. He likes readings between 4.5 and 5.5. A lady that I work with is diabetic and she said that she thought 6.3 was pretty good. Different websites say anything under 6 is really good. I have even had some people tell me that their Dr. said that anything under 7 is considered pretty good. What does 6.3 come out to if you convert it to a regular number? Opinions? Thanks.
To be honest, my opinion differs from that of your physicians. A value of 6.3% is indicative of an average plasma glucose of about 147 mg/dL. Keep in mind that "normal" response of non-diabetics will almost always have a plasma glucose <100 mg/dL, and even post-prandial spikes should not cause an elevation above 140 mg/dL, and if it does, this should only happen for such a short interval that it would not drive the HbA1c reading up that much.

If the average is 6.3%,that means that there has to be a substantial portion of the time recently that your husband has been above 140 mg/dL. The numbers (at least before) were that non-diabetics should have a HbA1c of 6.2% or less and the goal for diabetics is to keep it below 7.2% (avg 179 mg/dL plasma glucose). It is elevated, and I think it is something to worry about. From what I described above, you can see that in the least, there is an impaired glucose tolerance issue (if not type II diabetes already) that should be watched and affected (if possible) through lifestyle changes.

Also keep in mind that the HbA1c is an average and only part of the equation. If one goes through extreme hypoglycemic periods then hyperglycemic periods,the average will still look alright.

I would say that "pretty good" for non-diabetic and diabetic is keeping the HbA1c closer to the 4.5% value of that 4.5-5.5% range (83-118 mg/dL). That should really be the goal, in my opinion. Just to give you a further reason of why I seem to be hypervigilant about this...I am 37, I am a type II diabetic that had A1c's in the 6-7 range--I had a heart attack at age 35.

I now make sure I keep my HbA1c <5.0%--many difficulties solved that way.

Last edited by ubernier; 04-01-2004 at 08:02 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2004, 10:27 AM   #3
Inactive

JacquelineL HB User

I agree that 6.3 is too high. I was diagnosed with 6.4 six months ago and put on a diet. The doctor said I was definitely diabetic. With a low carb diet, I am now at 5.5.

Old 04-01-2004, 02:41 PM   #4
(female)

MyOMy HB User

Maybe I should clarify my post a little. My husband is diabetic. Like you ubernier, he had a slight heart attack last Memorial Day. We found out that he is diabetic at the same time he had the attack. The good news is that he had a heart cath and all of his other vessels were completely open. He was the only one that day that did not require a stent or bypass surgery. He is 46 (today as a matter of fact). What the doctor may have meant was that 6.3 was not that bad for a diabetic. His cholesterol levels are good. I hope this clarifies things a little. Again, thanks for the replies.

Old 04-01-2004, 07:07 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

I think the target A1c is going to depend largely on how one is being treated. For a diabetic on insulin to set a goal of an A1c much below 6% is just asking for trouble. It's almost impossible to get below that while on insulin without experience a lot of extreme lows.

On the other hand, if one is controlled by diet, shooting for the A1c of an average, normal, non-diabetic person makes a whole lot of sense.

For those on oral medications, it's going to depend on what types of medications one is taking.

Ruth

Closed Thread