It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2004, 05:33 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

cardinal HB User
Low blood sugar a precursor to diabetes?

I've had low blood sugar, well, along time. Test about 40. I had the 5hr deal, in the 40's. My PM says not to worry. Well my grandmother was insuline, my mother insuline died at age 62, grand mom died 52. My dad is insuline now too, age 80. I am 48, anxious, depression skin disease, thirsty etc. I finally went for a blood test, paid on my own at a clinic and waiting for results. If it shows low again should I pursue it? I am not obese but have gained weight. I don't have a PM anymore due to screw ups with changes in insurance. I have done all I can on my own to try to prevent it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2004, 09:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: Low blood sugar a precursor to diabetes?

Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) CAN be a precursor to diabetes, but not always. One of the best things to do is to treat it with diet. The usual hypoglycemic diet involves eating small amounts 5-6 times a day, rather than 3 larger meals, and eating a moderately low-carbohydrate, higher protein diet. Also, it's important to never eat carbs without also eating protein.

In hypoglycemia, the pancreas actually produces too much insulin in response to demand (carbohydrate consumption), so the carbs are utilized quickly, leaving too much insulin available in the blood stream. Over a period of time, the pancreas can actually wear out the islet cells (which produce insulin), thus the conversion to diabetes. However, this doesn't always happen.

When you eat high-glycemic carbs (regular pasta, potatoes, rice, white bread, etc.), the pancreas responds by pumping out way too much insulin. This is why it's better to eat fewer carbs, and to eat more complex carbohydrates (whole grains, vegetables which contain fiber), and protein, as the body breaks those substances down much more slowly, so the pancreas is not signaled to produce too much insulin. By following a hypoglycemic diet, you may be able to prevent this from turning into diabetes.

Do a google search for "hypoglyemic diet" to get more info on what to eat, how much and how often.

Ruth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2004, 06:36 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

cardinal HB User

Thanks Ruth! People always tell me to have "candy bar" when I get symptoms. I heard fruit, like oranges isn't real good either? I usually start my day with an enlish muffin and coffee, followed by snacks. I do eat alot of carbs. The beer should go too. Yes I will read more on it, I have a borrowed book on hypogly. alot of the things I do wrong! That's probabably why mornings are my worst! Thanks again for the reply, and should have my results tomorrow on the blood test.

Old 04-15-2004, 07:33 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Cardinal -
The symptoms of hypoglycemia are the same as for a diabetic who is having an insulin reaction. And yes, you need to get your blood sugar up with some carbs. The trick is to make sure you don't overdo it, and to make sure you follow the carbs with some sort of protein snack, otherwise you'll keep having "rebound" lows.

Starting your day with english muffins is a bad idea...unless they're whole wheat and topped with cheese or possibly peanut butter...then it might not be so bad.

I'm so glad you're looking into this and getting more info. Managing hypoglycemia can be every bit as difficult as managing diabetes, but it's also every bit as important that you DO learn how to manage it. Not only will it help prevent this from becoming diabetes down the road, but you'll start feeling better immediately as soon as you're eating right.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Ruth

Old 04-16-2004, 05:25 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

cardinal HB User

My sugar test was ok! 89 hemoglobin 5.9, so that looks ok. Maybe my symptoms are just transient? going off my meds? But with my family history I need to keep on top of it, so doing the hypo diet! can't hurt!! Thanks all for your help!!!

Old 04-16-2004, 11:45 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

I'm glad to hear that you haven't tested positive for diabetes. Now, if you can manage the hypoglycemia well, you may never get D. Good luck with everything.

Ruth

Old 04-20-2004, 12:17 PM   #7

rae-claws HB User

Thank you two, for these postings on this thread. I, too, have been diagnosed with hypoglycemia and have never been told any real resources to managing it (I was 18 when I was diagnosed and had no way to pay for any kind of health insurance since then, I'm now 26). I have had horrible horrible cravings for carbs/sugar/salt, no energy, and gained 45-50 lbs in the last 4 mos. Thanx again.

Old 04-20-2004, 10:20 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rae -
I'm not an expert on the hypoglycemic diet, but you should be able to find a lot of info on the internet. I do know (from two friends who have it) that following the appropriate diet can make a world of difference in the way you feel.

Ruth

Closed Thread