It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2004, 10:20 PM   #1
tslask

Angry TRACE of glucose in urine???? Diabetes???

I'm a 17 year old female, and I have a family history of diabetes. My dad had diabetes and so did his mom. I'm not sure how far back it goes after that.
A couple of years ago, when I was visiting the doctor, they decided to do testing on me for diabetes just to make sure I didn't have it. They found that I had a "trace" of glucose in my urine, so they told me that we would keep watching it. I have gone in two more times since then for the same tests, and they found the same thing: a trace of glucose in the urine. I just wanted to know if anyone shares this "trace" of glucose, or if anyone has any info for me? Could it be something besides diabetes?
I know some of the symptoms for diabetes are frequent urination, increased thirst, blurry vision, headaches. I have been having frequent headaches for the past month, and I thought they were migraines. I decided to visit my chiropracter regularly, and since then my headaches have pretty much gone away. I was told that they weren't migraine headaches. So maybe I shouldn't worry about the headaches having something to do with diabetes? I also had blurry vision along with the headaches. I'm just worrying a lot! Has anyone had similar experiences?? Any info?? Thanks! - Nikki

Old 04-21-2004, 08:08 AM   #2

AlbertaGal HB User
Re: TRACE of glucose in urine???? Diabetes???

I am very new but my understanding is that your blood sugar would have to be really quite high before there is spillover into your urine. If it were me, I would insist on a blood test to determine my blood glucose levels. Good luck.
Anne

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2004, 08:11 AM   #3
tslask

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaGal
I am very new but my understanding is that your blood sugar would have to be really quite high before there is spillover into your urine. If it were me, I would insist on a blood test to determine my blood glucose levels. Good luck.
Anne
Hi- I've also had blood tests when they did the urine tests. They said the blood tests were normal. I'm just confused, I guess I'll have to wait until they test me again.

Old 04-21-2004, 08:15 AM   #4
tslask

Just one more bit of info that I left out before. I'm 5'7" and I weigh about 160 lbs.. I don't think I'm too overweight. (?) Also I have a glucometer that I use once in a while and the levels are fine. I usually show 80-120 when testing - depending on when I ate.

Old 04-21-2004, 11:23 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User

There are quite a few reasons this could be happening besides diabetes. If your kidneys have a low glucose threshold, they will spill glucose into the urine. Stress and a high carb diet can also lead to glucosurea. If all of your blood sugars have been fine, I would watch it. If it goes beyond a trace, I would insist on a renal function test just to make sure everything is fine with your kidneys. HTH

Old 04-21-2004, 08:59 PM   #6
tslask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommyof4
There are quite a few reasons this could be happening besides diabetes. If your kidneys have a low glucose threshold, they will spill glucose into the urine. Stress and a high carb diet can also lead to glucosurea. If all of your blood sugars have been fine, I would watch it. If it goes beyond a trace, I would insist on a renal function test just to make sure everything is fine with your kidneys. HTH
Mindy (or anyone else who knows)-
What kinds of things could be wrong with kidneys and how would it be treated? For example the low glucose threshold. Any info at all would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 04-22-2004, 09:13 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User

Actually, there might be nothing wrong with the kidneys. Some people have trace amounts of glucose or protein in their urine and that is normal for them. I wouldn't worry about it as it was only a trace amount. If it bothers you, which larger amounts would me since I don't like health ?'s left unanswered, I would ask for a referral to a Nephrologist just to make sugar your kidneys are fine. Chances are, this is simply normal for you or will pass. Good luck

Closed Thread