It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2004, 10:47 AM   #1
(female)

why_did_you HB User
mood swings?

A friend of mine was diagnosed with diabetes in december of last year. She's always been pretty moody and it's been a lot worse apparently because of this. I was just wondering exactly how it affects mood swings?

She tends to use it as an excuse for a lot of things and is always putting people down which is NOT on, but I do see that general grouchiness could be a part of this. Could anyone enlighten me please?

Thankyou. xXx

Old 04-25-2004, 11:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User
Re: mood swings?

Some people only need an excuse. What people attribute to health related concerns can actually be just a part of their personallity. People can be positive with this condition or negative. Negative people want to put every mood swing and ache on the fact that they are diabetic.

Swings in numbers can lead to mood swings. Chronic conditions like diabetes can lead to depression. If this person wants to be hateful to everyone on an ongoing basis, it is more than likely her personallity instead of her diabetes. Sorry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2004, 07:25 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

I agree with Mindy that one's basic personality doesn't change due to diabetes. It is possible, however, that her mood swings could be worsened by poor blood glucose control. Also, if she starts acting seriously combative, try to get her to check her blood sugar, as she may be experiencing a severe low.

Other than that, putting people down and just generally being a grouch is a sign of poor manners!

Ruth

Old 04-26-2004, 09:42 PM   #4

ShawnieShawn HB User

As for myself, I'll admit to being a bit of a grouch when my BG's are low, and when I can't get something to eat, I do get a bit irritated and any little thing can cause an argument. Afterwards, I'm fine.
But that is nowhere near my normal behavior so if someone sees me acting this way, they know that it's time for me to eat or something to that matter.
If it's happening more than often chances are
1 your friend is not controlling things
2 she doesn't know how to deal with the changes of diabetes
3 probably feels alone in this battle, and is seeking attention
4 doesn't know enough about diabetes and is unaware of supportive resources
amongst other things!!!
Tell your friend to be careful, because people eventually do get tired of the bad treatment and whinning and she'll may end up dealing with this thing all by herself......something she definitely doesn't want!!!

There is no time limit to dealing with diabetes. Everyday is a new struggle.
We just have to take control and make the best of it.......
Compared to a lot of other diseases.......We've got it good!!!!!
which is

Old 04-27-2004, 07:17 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

Moodiness and mood swings can be caused by many things. It could be her personality, stress, or psychological problems, but it also could be caused by changes in the body chemistry. If your friend's body has gone through dramatic changes this could account for mood swings and personality changes. This isn't necessarily directly related to diabetes, but it could be due to medication she is now on, dramatic changes in her diet, or even a new food sensitivity that she has developed from making changes in her eating habits.

Is she aware of the problem and how it is effecting others? If so, you may want to suggest that she keep a log of when she takes her meds and when and what she eats, along with a log of when she is feeling cranky, moody, or down. Then look for patterns or consistancies.

If she is not aware, it might not be a bad idea to discuss it with her. A good friend will appreciate the feedback and honesty - and maybe you can help her get some help. Explain to her that you care about her and you are concerned that she is alienating herself from loved ones. Even if the problem is not physiological, but emotional, this will give her an opportunity to seek out some help or support.

Closed Thread