It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2004, 11:15 PM   #1
(female)

Bea HB User
High Blood Pressure Beta Blockers that Don't Increase Glucose

I kept my glucose under good control by watching my diet and without any medications until I started taking the beta blocker Atenolol for my high blood pressure. It did wonders for my pressure but my glycohemoglobin has increased significantly since I started taking this medication, going from 5.7 to 7.0 with no change in my eating habits or exercise. I understand that this is a common side effect of Atenolol in people who have a tendency toward glucose intolerance to begin with.

Since my doctor feels a beta blocker would work best to control my pressure in my particular case, as opposed to, for example, an ACE inhibitor such as Altace, I'm interested in learning more about some newer beta blockers that have just come on the market that don't have a negative impact on glucose levels, specifically, the CARVEDILOL, DILEVALOL and CELEPROLOC.

Since my doctor isn't sufficiently proactive for my tastes, I doing some research on my own and trying to learn as much as I can about these medications .

Has anyone out there had any experience with these newer beta blockers? Have they worked well to control your blood pressure? Have they had any negative impact on your glucose levels?

Any information you could provide would be appreciated.

Bea

Old 05-11-2004, 11:55 AM   #2

arubagal HB User
Re: High Blood Pressure Beta Blockers that Don't Increase Glucose

Sorry no one has posted a reply here.
I to take the same medication. 2 different Dr.s have tried to get me off of it because of my diabetes. It just does not work for me to get off it. I am also on a lopressor which then helps to protect my kidneys with the diabetes. So, that means I just have to be more careful to get the good readings.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2004, 06:02 PM   #3
Inactive

JacquelineL HB User

I don't know anything about the newer beta blockers, but I was on atenolol when I was diagnosed with diabetes last year. My doctor switched me to Altace to protect my kidneys. I am happy with it and my blood pressure is quite a bit lower, which is good too.

Old 05-13-2004, 12:34 PM   #4
Inactive

Random2 HB User

What B.S. I'm 33 5 '11 153 & have never had high glucose that I know of. I'm on altenolol as well. All of my other blood tests including a full CBC, metabolic panel, as well as testing for hyperthyroidism was perfect. My glucose was 103. My doc. said that it was pre-diabeteic (103 pre-diabetic)????? Yeah riiiiiight. Can the altenolol have something to do with this.

I'm under 45
thin (my doc. told me not to drink sodas with sugar, nor eat many carbs at all)
My mom & dad don't have diabetes
***???

Guess I will turn into a skeleton. I have no sweets in my diet & eat very well. I guess the next guidelines will be anything over 80 will be pre-diabetes.

Old 05-13-2004, 01:03 PM   #5
Inactive

JacquelineL HB User

Yes, atenolol can cause a slight rise in blood sugar readings. For that and other reasons, it is not the preferred drug for treating hypertension in diabetics. Your doctor does seem a trifle cautious to test again in 6 months, but readings can vary a lot. Do you have test results for earlier years?

Last edited by JacquelineL; 05-13-2004 at 01:04 PM.

Old 05-13-2004, 02:22 PM   #6
Inactive

Random2 HB User

No I don't but my blood sugar was 103 fasting. It isn't even pre-diabetes. She wants to be extra cautious to protect her a** & make more $'s with more appointments when nothing is wrong with any of the tests.

Old 05-15-2004, 06:12 AM   #7

peteers HB User

hi iam on carvedilol this two years and have not found any increase in my clucose level, or so the tests have shown, or Iwould have been told by my doctor ,so I think it is very good and little side effects.

Old 05-16-2004, 09:52 AM   #8
(female)

Bea HB User

Thanks for sharing your experience with Carvedilol. I'm definitely going to pursue it as an alternative medicine for my high blood pressure.

Bea

Closed Thread