It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2004, 11:20 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User
GFCF Diet and Diabetes

Some of you know that my 21 month old son has developmental delays. His newest diagnosis is Sensory Integration Dysfunction and we are waiting to see a Neurologist to give him a diagnosis somewhere on the Autism Spectrum. His Occupational Therapist mentioned a diet that seemed to help kids with the same problems he has. Basically it is taking Gluten, the protein in wheat, and Cassien, the protein in milk, out of your diet.

I started reading about the signs of a gluten sensitivity and was alarmed at my own diet. I crave carbs which can be a sign, have problems with being irritable and lethargic which can be signs, and also fight yeast infections on a regular basis.

Has anyone heard anything about this diet? This is the same diet that people with Celiac Disease go on. My main concern is going on this diet as a type 1 diabetic. BTW, my GP has NO idea.. I called the dolt

I just wonder what calming the yeast in your system would do to diabetes... Any thoughts?

Last edited by Mommyof4; 05-05-2004 at 11:23 PM.

Old 05-06-2004, 10:27 AM   #2
Inactive

JacquelineL HB User
Re: GFCF Diet and Diabetes

I wouldn't think a gluten free diet would be much problem for you. My husband is gluten intolerant and I am a type 2 diabetic. We avoid many of the the same type foods. No cakes, cookies, any baked goods, pasta. But he can eat rice, corn, oats, so there are plenty of cereals available. There is also a gluten free bread.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2004, 06:25 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sharon1030 HB User
Smile Re: GFCF Diet and Diabetes

Hi Mindy,

I don't know anything about this diet. Sorry. Will your whole family be on this diet if you decide to go with it for you son? I do remember a woman on another board on this site who wrote a lot about a gluten free diet. I have a disease of the sympathetic nervous system called Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) and it's new name is Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS). If you check out that board, you might find some of the stuff that woman wrote about this diet. She swears by it that it helped her get rid of the RSD. Good luck.

Sharon

Old 05-07-2004, 06:02 AM   #4

Jfran HB User

You might want to look into the Specific Carbohydrate Diet or SCD. It was developed for people with inflammatory bowel disease but it has been used successfully with children with autism. It's gluten free and can be dairy free. There's also a book called Breaking the Vicious Cycle that explains the diet. I follow it and adapt it for diabetes. The diet allows a lot of fruit and honey which I don't have. I have found that it has eliminated my ibs.

[ removed ]

Jean

Last edited by moderator2; 05-07-2004 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Not allowed to post other boards. Please carefully read, know and follow the Policies and Guidelines. Click on FAQ at the top left of this page. Thank you!

Old 05-07-2004, 08:08 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User

Thanks so much to all of you. I think the diet will be great for our family. I am also going to check out the IBS diet so thanks for the ideas.

I just think that there is no reason to go on feeling like this if a diet change can help with the symptoms. Thanks again

Old 05-07-2004, 09:12 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Mindy,
I'm sorry to learn about your son's problems, but it's good that you're getting some help this early. I don't know exactly what the issues are, but if you're talking about autism, have you ever heard of Asperger's Syndrome? It's a mild form of autism, and there are some special schools that kids can go to for treatment AND regular schooling. Basically, they teach them the sensory cues they don't pick up on their own. I've heard there's been some tremendous success in integrating these kids so that they can live a pretty normal life, make friends, etc.

If you google "Asperger's Syndrome", you should find lots of info on this. I know the Boston Globe did an article several years ago which mentioned some schools near here, and I assume there must be some in other locations.

Ruth

Old 05-12-2004, 11:23 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

Somehow I missed this post earlier and am just seeing it for the first time. I am so sorry about your son's health problems, and hope that you can find something that will work for him.

I don't know much about the specific diets you mention, but I can tell you what I know and what my experiences have been. As you have probably read from other posts, I was diagnosed as reactive HypoG 23 years ago and was treated at a mental health clinic. This clinic specialized in in-depth nutritional anaylis of children and young adults and was successfully treating a WIDE range of children's psychiatric and physiological diseases, including many nervous system disorders. Their theory was that food sensitivities, allergies, and nutritional deficiencies were leading to diagnosis (and sometimes misdiagnosis) of these and many other illnesses.

I believe that there are many clinics out there that do similar types of analysis and treatments, and they can help assess the situation and determine an appropriate diet and treatment plan for the individual. I would not go as far as to say that the right diet for your son would necessarily be right for you or other family members. I do think that nutritional analysis and allergy testing (by a respectable clinic that specializes in this type of treatment) would be appropriate so you can target a specific plan that will help your son.

I also have experience with food and other allergies. I went to an immunologist for 8 years and successfully overcame most of my allergies (except one - poultry!). During my treatment there, I learned a lot about allergies to wheat, gluten, and milk products - and remember specifically learning that these were prevalent contributing factors to many children's illnesses. An immunologist will always do a more thorough diagnosis than an allergist - they can actually pinpoint exact tolerance levels of a substance which speeds up the treatment plan (an allergist usually treats everyone at the same levels without taking the extra steps to individualize).

There is a fine line between yeast infections and sensativities or allergies to wheat, corn, sugar, and other refined carb products. I have had my share of all-body yeast infections (to the point where I was so dizzy I could not walk straight), and this was at its worse just prior to going to going to the immunologist. Since I completed my allergy treatment plan (my last injection was in 1994), I have never had another problem with yeast. They really never determined that I was actually allergic to wheat, gluten, corn, or sugar, but when my allergic load was reduced, my body was better able to combat the tendancy toward yeast infections. While reducing or eliminating these foods from your diet may find you relief from symptoms (which of course is a primary goal), you may never really know if these foods were the actual cause of the problem, or if your allergy load was just reduced. With that said, you will always find that the best relief from yeast problems is to eliminate all things from your diet and environment that yeast thrives on. Do a google search on "candida albicans diet" and you will find lots of things that will help.

Closed Thread