HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Diabetes (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/diabetes/)
-   -   Inositol? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/diabetes/182290-inositol.html)

modert 06-14-2004 02:00 PM

Inositol?

Anyone using Inositol?

I have been doing some reading and understand that Inositol (one of the B Vitamins) taken in extremely large doses has shown to help control blood glucose levels AND help heal nerve damage. My multivitamin had a measly 10 mg of Inositol, but the recommended dosage for full benefit is 2-4 grams!

Just curious if anyone has used this or had any luck with it.

KrFr 06-16-2004 04:21 AM

Re: Inositol?

jdimassimo, I have never heard of this but I have heard that Chromium will help. My DH's doctor tells his diabetic patients to take Chromium for the same purpose. Have you heard and used it and what were your results?

I do hope you get some answers about Inositol as you have helped so many others. I will be checking back in here myself since my nephew is having frequent blood tests to see if he can get his sugar under control with diet and any help he can get with that would be appreciated.

modert 06-16-2004 05:03 AM

I do take chromium and its hard to know if chromium alone is doing anything. I take 200 mcg daily. I am controlling my bg with diet and excercise, so [I]something[/I] I am doing is working!

I have just recently heard about inositol and that some Endos are having patients take 6 [I]grams[/I] per day. And the usual dosage I see in supplements is only 25 mg, my multivitamin only has 10 mcg.

I asked my chiropracter about Inositol (because he also consults on supplements) and he said that Inositol is best when taken in a powder (crystal) form and several doses throughout the day (because like all the Bs your body uses and excretes all excess after about 4 hours)

I was just curious if anyone else has tried this. My understanding is that Inositol not only helps to control glucose, but also supports the adrenals (which are closely tied to the pancreas and insulin production) and can help relieve depression and anxiety. Sounds like a miracle!

KrFr 06-16-2004 07:07 AM

Yes, it does sound miraculous! I have my fingers crossed that someone here has experience with it and that the the results are true.

Kalar 06-27-2004 11:29 AM

I've been type 2 for a few years now....stress-induced.....the last straw was one of those high-powered one-a-day antibiotics. :)

Anyway, I'm always on the lookout for things that are supportive of the body and the mind when diabetes is muddying up the water. I tried the chromium thing but since I'm already thin, it had a tendency to decrease my appetitie which I did not need. However, I'm beginning to get a handle on dosage of things and it could be that the supplements in the stores are just too big a dose so I look for things that are in caplets that I can pull apart and dump some of it out. Depending on what it is, I'll settle for tablets that can be broken.

The last time I was in the supplement store, I noticed a combination of inositol and chromium. I already had a bottle inositol at home and hadn't yet decided to try fooling with the chromium again. The point is that it was in a section that deals with cholesterol which is something my doc wants me to keep an eye on. It's not out of control but it has inched up a little. So when I got home, I started breaking the inositol into smaller pieces and taking it twice a day. I don't know if it's doing anything yet but I'll know on my next labwork trip.

One thing about cholesterol is that it's a natural thing your body produces to repair tissue....most significantly blood vessels. If it's high, that's a clue that there is a lot of damage going on and the body is flailing mercilessly to patch the damage caused.

Too much sugar damages tissues, overworks organs, etc. On the other hand, too much insulin whether produced by the body or taken by syringe, can create a cellular resistance to it and also exhaust the related 'sugar-engines' like the pancreas, adrenals, the spleen, the liver, etc.

Diabetes type 2 can result from a breakdown in the sugar processing cycle that involves those organs. It's like keeping an engine revving and never turning it off to let it cool down and/or never changing the oil. :D It stays in what it thinks is a fight or flight situation....on alert all the time. The body is burning itself up.

Today's world promotes the context of striving and push, push, push. That's why there is an epidemic of diabetes. ;(

Kalar

davitude 06-27-2004 02:33 PM

Forgive me if this seems long. If you don't care to read it all, the long and short is that I don't see a real benefit in supplementing with inositol for diabetics.

Some thirty years ago, scientists found that inositol gets depleted in diabetic rats, which led to supplementation studies (in mice and rats). It worked like a charm, reducing nerve damage and assisting with glucose control.

When a schister...er supplement company tells you about the benefits of inositol and says it's backed by clinical studies, guess what...they are referring to rats. If you have a diabetic pet rat, it will probably work great for him.

So anyway, shortly thereafter, came the human studies, this is from one of them.

[COLOR=Sienna]Oral supplementation of myoinositol: effects on peripheral nerve function in human diabetics and on the concentration in plasma, erythrocytes, urine and muscle tissue in human diabetics and normals.

Gregersen G, Bertelsen B, Harbo H, Larsen E, Andersen JR, Helles A, Schmiegelow M, Christensen JE.

28 young diabetics with short disease duration participated in a double-blind study by taking 6 g of myoinositol or placebo daily for 2 months. The aim was to demonstrate a possible beneficial effect of this compound on subclinical diabetic neuropathy. Measurement of vibratory perception threshold, motor and sensory conduction velocity and amplitude of nerve potential [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][B]did not disclose any effect of the myoinositol given[/B]. [/COLOR] In accordance with this, [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][B]no indication for a lack of myoinositol in human diabetic blood or tissue could be found[/B]. [/COLOR] [/COLOR]

As far as glucose control, D-chiro-inositol (a specific isomer found in buckwheat extract) has been shown to help with glucose control in PCOS induced insulin insensitivity.

There are many herbs/supplements that help with glucose control and stand up to scientific scrutiny in humans, but no one that I know of has been able to just take herbs and control diabetes.

Dietary manipulation and exercise is another story, though.

Kalar 06-27-2004 04:29 PM

Just for clarification:

I don't take inositol to control diabetes. I take it to support good cholesterol and heart function. I think someone mentioned that inositol might be good for depression. It certainly seems to have had a slight effect on me in that regard....to the good. I feel calmer and think a little clearer. Granted, it might not be the inositol all by itself. It could be that the addition of it to everything else I'm doing created a positive shift. Nothing in our body works in isolation. It's a team effort. :D

Thanks for the info. It's good stuff to know. However, I learned a while back to take just about everything with a grain of salt. I set about getting to know myself as well as I could and read everything I could get my hands on that I was led to by a curiousity. I'm a big believer that there is something in us that will lead us where we need to go if we'll shut up and be still and not be so arrogant as to think we've got it all nailed. ;)

modert 06-28-2004 08:13 AM

Here is some of the info I have found on Inositol... I still say that it seems there is good enough reason to try it - especially since it won't harm you. From these excerpts it sounds like the studies were done on humans :D

[U][B]From a website entitled "Neuropathy - Nutrient Therapies":[/B][/U]
Choline and inositol also seem to be very important parts of the combination of vitamins needed for neuropathy resolution. Diabetic neuropathy is known to be associated with a reduction in myo-inositol levels in nerves and tissues. The decreased level of myo-inositol is believed to cause a decrease in the activity of the sodium-potassium pump and, thus, to change the sodium permeability of nerves. [B][COLOR=Navy]Both diets high in inositol and inositol supplementation have been shown to improve diabetic neuropathy. Researchers at the University of Alabama found a statistically significant improvement in nerve function in diabetics placed on a diet high in inositol. Included in the diet were high-inositol foods such as cantaloupe, peanuts, grapefruit, and whole grains. Other researchers have reported that supplementation with inositol in doses of 2-6 grams per day has resulted in improvements in neuropathy. Robert Atkins, M.D., has reported his successful use of 2-6 grams per day for reversing diabetic neuropathy, and notes that physicians at St. James Hospital in Leeds, England, have reported good results with even smaller dosages.(2)[/COLOR][/B]

[U][B]From a website entitled "D-chiro-Inositol Metabolism in Diabetes Mellitus"[/B][/U]
D-chiro-Inositol is a rare inositol isomer present in inositol phosphoglycans which are proposed mediators of insulin action. To study D-chiro-inositol metabolism in diabetes mellitus, a sensitive and specific assay was developed using negative-ion chemical ionization gas chromatography/mass spectrometry. Median urinary D-chiro-inositol excretion, which was 2.1 μmol/day in nondiabetics, was substantially increased to 12 μmol/day in non-insulin-dependent diabetes (P < 0.0001) and to 74 μmol/day in insulin-dependent diabetes (P < 0.0001). Urinary D-chiro-inositol was strongly correlated with fasting plasma glucose (r = 0.568, P < 0.0001), glycated hemoglobin (r = 0.529, P < 0.0001), and urinary glucose (r = 0.368, P = 0.01). [COLOR=Navy][B]The renal clearance of D-chiro-inositol was selectively elevated in both non-insulin-dependent and insulin-dependent diabetes when compared with the clearances of L-chiro-inositol or myo-inositol and exceeded the glomerular filtration rate in 71% of the diabetics but in none of the nondiabetics. In poorly controlled diabetic patients insulin treatment reduced urinary D-chiro-inositol losses by 63% and increased plasma levels by 8.8-fold. The metabolism of D-chiro-inositol is abnormal in diabetes and appears to be influenced by short- and long-term metabolic control. [/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=Red][I]Note: My interpretation of this rather technical excerpt is simply that they have proven that inositol is not metabolized properly in diabetics, leading to deficiency, and that controlling diabetes results in improved metabolism of inositol. But this leads me to believe that if you are a diabetic you might very well benefit from supplementing with inositol that your body is not naturally metabolizing.[/I][/COLOR]

[U][B]From a website with no title (Sorry, I can't post the url!):[/B][/U]
Inositol is recognized as part of the B-complex vitamins. It works closely with choline as one of the primary components of the cell membrane. The human body contains more inositol than any other vitamin except niacin. It is found in large quantities in the spinal cord nerves, the brain, and the cerebral spinal fluid. It is also needed for growth and survival of cells in bone marrow, eye membranes, and the intestines. It encourages hair growth and can help prevent baldness.

[B][COLOR=Navy]Like choline, inositol helps to move fat out of the liver, and helps prevent serious liver disorders, as well as disorders involving high cholesterol. Serotonin and acetylcholine, two neurotransmitters, both depend upon inositol, and supplementation can therefore assist in the reduction of depression and panic attacks. Loss of inositol from nerve cells is the primary reason for diabetic neuropathy, so inositol supplementation can assist in improving this condition.[/COLOR][/B] Phytic acid, the plant source of inositol, has been shown to have anticancer properties, which may be one reason why a high-fiber diet protects against many cancers.

Inositol also has a prominent calming effect on the central nervous system, so it may be helpful to those with insomnia. Studies on brain waves have shown that it has an effect similar to that of librium or valium. It can gradually lower blood pressure, and can be helpful in cases of schizophrenia, hypoglycemia, and those with high serum copper and low serum zinc levels.

Because it stimulates muscles of the alimentary canal, inositol is helpful in cases of constipation. It can also induce labor contractions in pregnant women.

The dosage of 100mg per day is the Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA), but be aware that this dosage is the minimum that you require, to ward off deficiency of this particular nutrient. In the therapeutic use of this nutrient, the dosage is usually increased considerably, but the toxicity level must be kept in mind. Although no toxic effects are known, diarrhea has been noted with the intake of very high dosage.

It is best used with choline, which should be taken in the same amount as inositol. It is best to take the entire B-group vitamins with it. Vitamin E, vitamin C as well as folic acid and linoleic acid are thought to increase the functioning of inositol.

Inositol is available from both plant and animal sources. The plant form in which inositol is available is phytic acid, which can bind with minerals and so affect their absorption negatively. The action of the intestinal bacteria liberates inositol from phytic acid, which is found in citrus fruits, nuts, seeds and legumes, wheat germ, brewers yeast, bananas, liver, beef brains and heart, whole grains such as brown rice, oat flakes, unrefined molasses, raisins and vegetables such as cabbage.

Kalar 06-30-2004 07:20 AM

Great info! Thanks so much for taking the time to post it. Apparently it wasn't my imagination that taking the inositol affected my mood. :D I think I'm gonna make a run to the health food store and check out choline/inositol combos to be sure I'm getting the right ratio. Wouldn't it be a kick if that turns out to be the one thing that helps me turn the corner with my diabetes?

What's been happening is that feeling bad and depression makes me indifferent to the diabetes to the point that I can't focus on diet and can't get myself moving to do exercise. This creates a feedback loop, of course. The less I do the proper things, the more I don't care.....can't get my will into it. So it feeds on itself. Something gets me moving again and gradually I begin to think straight and begin to discover new options that might turn out to be 'just the ticket'. :)

Bottom line: I know that if I keep putting one foot in front of the other, I'll get there......even if I have to do it kicking and screaming and rebelling all the way. :) I have a very juvenile rebellious streak. :D However, it has held me in good stead many many times. I've lerned to depend on myself when it looked like the doctors would kill me if I turned myself over to them. There is so much they don't know. I think folks don't realize that most doctors (a) didn't graduate at the top of their class, (b) don't have the time to stay up to date on everything, (c) are too focused on the 'science' of medicine, and (d) can't walk on water. Today's doctors are not the last word in knowingness. Give me a break, it wasn't that long ago that they bled people.

Thanks again for the great info on inositol!!

Eagle 07-01-2004 09:38 PM

I'm grateful to hear about this substance, and all the others we discuss.
Never heard of it but will watch for it now.

Anyone know anything about Prandin? You only take it when you're going to eat, and can take 2 or even 3 or 4 I think of the 1 mg if it's going to be a fairly large meal. So it's evidently not limited to 6 per day. I can't find much web search info about it. Works pretty well, when your eating is erratic, at least for me. I'm also on Avandia and Glucotrol.

My supplements I don't always keep up with very well, but I have some chromium. I take a blood thinner that sometimes causes me to almost faint. Seems to be helping my foot ulcer finally start healing. I had some plaque in the arteries of that ankle.