It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2004, 03:15 PM   #1
(female)

lmtickell HB User
Shaky and jittery?

I am not sure if this is where I should post this question. I am a 28 yr old female who is 24 weeks pregnant and have been having some serious anxiety and stress the last few weeks. I am physically feeling okay except the last 2 mornings when I wake up I feel like I have just had a pot of coffee! I feel jittery and shaky yet when I hold my hand out to see if it shakes it is completely still. Does anyone know if this may be a stress related symptom or a blood sugar issue or something? I am not sure where to look for answers. I usually feel fine after I have been awake for a bit and am up but waking up to that feeling is not comfortable. Any input would be great.

TIA,
Lisa

Old 07-13-2004, 10:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User
Re: Shaky and jittery?

Pregnancy changes so many things. Your hormones fluctuate, different systems are put under stress, etc. You should be getting a glucose tolerance test soon as a normal part of pregnancy. That should tell you a lot about what is going on with your blood sugar.

It could be that you are having low blood sugars in the morning. A person who is used to normal blood sugars will have symptoms when they drop below their norm. This means that the blood sugars might not be dangerous or anything, just noticable. It might help if you got up in the night and had a light snack. You could also try a snack of complex carbs or protein right before you go to bed.

Pregnancy in and of itself is stress so added stress can lead to anxiety and depression if not kept in check. Your symptoms are something that I would make sure to bring up at you next OB appt. Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2004, 02:47 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User
Re: Shaky and jittery?

I'll also add that stress and anxiety can be directly related to low blood gucose levels. When your blood glucose drops too low your adrenal glands release cortisol, a hormone that naturally raises the blood glucose levels without food. But cortisol is also the "stress hormone" - it can cause an adrenaline rush, the fight or flight syndrome, or just general feelings of anxiety, depression, etc...

I suspect that if it does turn out that your blood glucose has been low, that once you get it under control much of your stress and anxiety will level off as well.

Closed Thread