It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2004, 01:42 PM   #1
(female)

noodles886 HB User
Glucose Readings Rising....And I Don't Know Why!

I was diagnosed in February and my A1C was 6.6 at that time. My latest A1C which was a couple of weeks ago was 6.3 and doctor was pleased. I am not on medication and everything seemed to be going along fine.......until the last week or so. My glucose readings have been getting higher and I don't know why. I am doing everything exactly the same, eating the same amounts/type of food but my fasting readings have gone from the low 100's to about 115-120. Today was the icing on the cake...I took a 2 hour after lunch reading and it was 174!! Checked it again and it 167. The lunch I ate usually gives me great readings so I was very upset. I feel like my body is losing control and no matter what I do, the numbers seem to be out of whack. I am meeting with a dietician next week but am very anxious (yes, I know stress will make the situation worse) to straighten this out. Help!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2004, 02:48 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User
Re: Glucose Readings Rising....And I Don't Know Why!

Asside from changes in diet and excercise, there are other things that can effect your blood glucose levels. The most likely causes would be your menstrual cycle and/or stress. Your mentrual cycle will most likely effect your bg about 1 week before menstruation - it can cause it to rise OR it can cause it to drop. I don't know if there is an explanation for this, but it is documented that it occurs. Stress can cause you bg to rise any time, and its not something that should be brushed off as insignificant. I would say that it is VERY possible that increased stress could easily cause your fasting bg to rise 15 points.

How many days has your fasting been over 115? Is it every day? I don't think 115 is terribly high for a T2 diabetic, and 15 over your normal range is not that dramatic a change. It would be more concerning if you were normally 90 fasting and jumped to 130 fasting. But still, you are wise to be concerned.

When your bg rose to 174 after lunch, exactly what had you eaten for lunch? You say it was the same type of food, but was it EXACTLY the same food? In other words, if you ate a sandwhich was it exactly the same bread? The same brand of deli meat? Or are you not sure? Little tiny things that may seem insignificant sometimes are not... a different brand of bread may have more carbs or sugar, a different meat may have sugar or preservatives that effect your numbers.

For me, I track EVERYTHING... I mean every little thing. I also gave up foods with long ingredient lists because I found I had less control. You just never know what one thing may cause you lose control - so the more you simplify your diet, the better control you will have.

I guess I would advise you to keep close track of things for the next week - if your raised numbers persist, then you should probably mention it to your Endo... this could indicate another problem, such as thyroid, which would very likely effect your bg levels. Do you have other medical conditions you are aware of? Are you on any medications?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2004, 04:40 PM   #3
(female)

noodles886 HB User

Thanks for replying so quickly. I will answer each of the points you raised in your message.

Since I went through menopause in 2001, my menstrual cycle is not the culprit raising my blood glucose readings.

I don't feel stressed in the morning when I take my fasting reading. However, it is always on my mind now that the reading will be high. Guess that could raise it.

Following is a list of my fasting readings for the month of July. Although they might seem ok, be aware they are higher than my June readings. In June, I actually had about 6 days with double digit readings.
109, 110, 107, 115, 103, 111, 111, 112, 117, 116, 108, 111, 105, 103, 113, 117, 120, 114, 115, 108, 106, 116, 113, 119, 122, 116, 109, 114, 108, 120, 118.

When my bg rose to 174 after lunch, I had eaten EXACTLY the same thing I've eaten on other days........tuna salad (prepared with light mayo and a little minced onion) on an English muffin, 2 sugar free cookies, diet soda.
What I find interesting is that my bg was 110 before lunch (12:30pm) , 174 at 2:30pm, 120 at 4:00pm, and 85 at 6:00pm.....quite a drop!! Today I had the same tuna on whole wheat bread with diet soda and 0 cookies. Two hours later, my reading was 130.

The only medical conditions I'm aware of are high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I have been on the same medications for years...and both conditions are under control at the moment.

Old 07-31-2004, 09:38 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

I don't think we can ever make this an exact science. But we can try to identify the things that cause probems, eliminate them, and see if it helps. You did that, and you now have some evidence that the english muffin (a refined white flour product) and the sugar free cookies (also probably a refined white flour product) definately affected your glucose readings. My recommendation is to take your diet to the next level of control and be more stringent with the quality of your carbohydrates. For now, and until you are satisfied with your readings, you should consider eliminating all refined white flour products. I realize that you were doing fine with them for a while, but something has changed, and this may be a necessary step for you now.

I obviously take carb counts into consideration when choosing foods, but I also consider specific ingredients. In addition to eliminating refined white flour products, I also avoid food products labeled "low-carb" or "sugar-free" - they make me nervous. If you look at the ingredients they are often mostly chemicals additives, which can raise your glucose levels (by inhibiting liver function). My feeling is that most of these products are marketed for low-carb dieters, not for diabetics.

I am not sure if the stress over taking a glucose reading would be enough to raise your glucose, unless you are stressed over this constantly. The reason stress raises the glucose levels is actually a cortisol response. When you are stressed, your adrenal glands release cortisol (adrenaline) which triggers the conversion of amino acids into glucose. This is actually a more complex process, but this is an abreviated explanation.

It is more likely a metabolic response to your diet - how often do you eat? From your post, it sounded like you eat lunch at 12:30 and then not again until 6pm or later. This may very well be a probem for you. I really recommend that you eat every 3 hours regardless of hunger. This will help to stabilize your glucose levels throughout the day, and will likely improve your fasting levels too.

Just curious - how did you feel when you dropped to 85? For whatever reason, I get terrible hypoG symptoms if I fall below 90. This does not make sense because it is a completely normal range, but for me, it triggers symptoms. This is partly what prompted me to take my diet to the next level of control.

My eating schedule is 9am, 12 noon, 3pm, 6pm, 9pm, and if I happen to still be up at midnight I eat another snack. I am careful to make sure that every meal and snack contains about 25-30% of the calories as protein, because protein helps to slow the conversion of carbs to glucose. Now, my bg levels range between 100-120 throughout the day.

In summary, my suggestion to you is this - for the next week, increase the number of meals and snacks you eat so you are eating at least every 3 hours. Also, eliminate refined white flour products, artificial sweeteners, and as many chemical additives and preservatives from your foods as possible. Be sure to get 25-30% of your calories as protein. My guess is that after a week of these adjustments, you will notice you numbers start to get back into the range you want them. I may be wrong, but its only a week!

Old 08-01-2004, 05:15 AM   #5
(female)

noodles886 HB User

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try to follow them. I never could understand how eating more was better for blood glucose control. For instance, if I eat breakfast at 7AM (like today) and then have something else around 9:30am-10:00am, aren't my bg levels still a little elevated from breakfast? And doesn't eating again raise them? The other thing I know I should do is increase my exercise level.

By the way, this morning my fasting glucose was 116.

Old 08-01-2004, 06:57 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

The goal should be to keep the glucose levels steady throughout the day, not just to keep them low. There are several benefits to eating smaller meals more often:
1. You prevent your glucose levels from dropping too low, which can cause hunger and stress.
2. You eat fewer carbs with each smaller meal, so the impact on your glucose is less each time you eat.
3. You are providing your body with nutrients as they are needed througout the day - much more efficient use of fuel.
4. You place less of a burden on your vital organs - they can function more efficiently if they have less to do more often.
When you eat 3 large meals per day with long gaps of time between you cause a bit of a rollercoaster effect - your bg drops really low, then you raise it really high, then it drops really low again, etc etc etc. This may make the results of your HA1C seem okay (because its based on an average of your highs and lows), but your metabolism is not actually functioning at its best. Think of the best way to keep a campfire going... you don't let the fire die and then add another huge log to it... you aim to keep the fire at a steady level by adding smaller amounts of wood to it on a regular basis. That's the best analogy I can come up with.

Excercise will definately help you control glucose. It has more of an impact than you can imagine.

Old 08-02-2004, 09:06 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

CobaltBlue HB User

Noodles,

I just wanted to ask a few questions about your situation, if you don't mind. Where I am coming from is that I am a T2 diabetic, diagnosed in Nov 2000. Fasting: 348, 328 mg/dL at the time. In 2001 my HbA1c was 7.2% on 2 mg Amaryl at 225 lbs and sedentary still. After the MI in 2002, I picked up exercise daily, dropped the weight to 160 lbs and came off all meds. My HbA1c has been 4.7% for every measurement over the past 2 years. My fasting glucose ranges from 77-90 mg/dL.

I can remember using diet to control my overall glucose level, but even though my body in that state had its own idea on what "normal" glucose levels were for it. I jokingly call this it's "dysfunctional glucose level." In my case, that was around 105 mg/dL on 2 mg Amaryl. I would wake up each morning and had I gone to bed below that value, my glucose would creep upwards towards that number. If I went to bed at 140 mg/dL, then it would drop throughout the night to approach 105 mg/dL. It looks like you tend to migrate towards around 110 mg/dL.

Unfortunately, the response to the same foods will never be identical on a day to day basis, because other factors come into play. The physiological state of your body can factor in (illness, digestive function), what you ate earlier may impact absorption or digestion speed, the state of your muscles, and that comprises the level of exercise/exertion prior to or just after eating. Add these into the other factors mentioned by jdimassimo and it shows just how complex it is.

So, what I was curious about in your case...

1. What kind of exercise do you do? When do you exercise and for how long? Do you measure your glucose pre-and post- exercise?

2. Where you are with your weight or BMI (granted BMI is not always the best indicator)? Above ideal or not?

The primary factors for the control of my diabetes (or rather with rendering it asymptomatic) are:

1. Maintenance of a healthy weight
2. Daily exercise

(Carbohydrate intake no longer matters , provided the weight is maintained and exercise is consistent)

Old 08-03-2004, 05:04 AM   #8
(female)

noodles886 HB User

Unfortunately, I don't exercise as much as I should. I try to do 20-30 min. a day, usually either a couple of hours after lunch or breakfast. My exercise consists of either aerobic dancing (Richard Simmons' Sweating To The Oldies) or an exercise machine called the Airwalker. As for my weight, I have lost 22 lbs. since I was diagnosed in February. I still need to lose probably another 25.

Old 08-03-2004, 08:31 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

CobaltBlue HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodles886
Unfortunately, I don't exercise as much as I should. I try to do 20-30 min. a day, usually either a couple of hours after lunch or breakfast. My exercise consists of either aerobic dancing (Richard Simmons' Sweating To The Oldies) or an exercise machine called the Airwalker. As for my weight, I have lost 22 lbs. since I was diagnosed in February. I still need to lose probably another 25.
Noodles,

Then you just might have better control in the days ahead if you can keep the exercise going. There were days when I would walk 2-3 times a day. Other days I run once, or run once and walk once. If you notice a trend where your glucose levels rise consistently at a certain time of the day, or after a certain meal, perhaps do your exercise following that meal if you can?

As for weight, even a 10 lb reduction in weight can make a huge change in where your baseline plasma glucose level settles at. That small of a change is the difference between 120/80 and 100/60 blood pressure readings for me, and 20 lbs puts me back up near 130/90 with observed impaired glucose in my nighttime readings....

Keep up the good work, and best wishes that with the weight loss, your T2 resolves itself such that you don't have the worries about your glucose level.

Old 08-22-2004, 04:55 PM   #10

aimless HB User

I read your post and want you to know I've been where you are with the blood sugar thing. I found a cure for the high levels of blood glucose and wanted to share them with you. I would like to recommend to you a wonderful book that will change your life and stop this diabetes in its tracks. It is: "Protein Power" by eades and eades. I promise it will get you in control. Hope it helps.

Old 08-23-2004, 05:15 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

CobaltBlue HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimless
I read your post and want you to know I've been where you are with the blood sugar thing. I found a cure for the high levels of blood glucose and wanted to share them with you. I would like to recommend to you a wonderful book that will change your life and stop this diabetes in its tracks. It is: "Protein Power" by eades and eades. I promise it will get you in control. Hope it helps.
Aimless,

I am confused by this post and one you posted concerning your dependence upon insulin as a type II? It sounds as if you require the insulin to control your blood glucose level, so are you saying that the "diet" of protein power helped you tighten your control? If so, then its not really a "cure."

I would consider a "cure" to be a situation where your reliance upon meds is obviated, as is the need to watch diet, where your blood glucose levels reach the levels of non-diabetics.

That situation is possible in some cases of type II diabetes--and requires consistent exercise and maintenance of proper weight, regardless of "diet" followed.

Closed Thread