It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2004, 01:42 PM   #1

oleman HB User
ACTOS and weight gain

Has anyone noticed any weight gain while on Actos...?????

Old 08-17-2004, 03:27 PM   #2
(female)

m2ej HB User
Re: ACTOS and weight gain

Actually I have lost 18 lbs since I began it in March of 2004. It also helped me conceive my beautiful b/g twins. Love it!

Insulin Resistant
Actos 15 mg
Adderall XR 30mg

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2004, 09:12 AM   #3

marvelroo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleman
Has anyone noticed any weight gain while on Actos...?????
That's one of the side effects of actos -- however, once your sugars are in good control, the weight goes away with maintenance of sugars and exercise. I took actos for many years, and my worst side effect was edema. This summer my ankles got huge, so I tried glucophage instead of actos. I couldn't take the intestinal side effects, so I'm on actos again with a lower dose of glucophage until actos kicks in fully.

A little edema is better than racing for the bathroom to my mind. Overall, however, actos has been a really good drug for me. You didn't mention how your sugars had been affected?

Old 08-24-2004, 10:42 AM   #4
(female)

kerrycats3 HB User

I gained 15 pounds taking actos. I felt like my legs were cement blocks. I am now on metformin and glipizide and have no problems.

Old 08-25-2004, 02:16 PM   #5

gipsie HB User

hello im on glucatrol and my doc put me on actos a few weeks ago my blood sugars have been up high i was wondering how long it takes for the actos to work as i have seen no change in my bs. readings i try and go for walks and ride my bike things like that im getting a little frustrated my bs usually runs about 3oo to 350 in the am and 500's in the pm i dont no what im doing wrong.

Old 06-07-2006, 10:23 AM   #6
(female)

mourning dove HB User

[QUOTE=oleman]Has anyone noticed any weight gain while on Actos...?????[/QU I have gained a lot of weight seems like all at once but I have an eating disorder so I don't know if the Actos is the cause. I have noticed some unexplained edema. My feet have been swelling really bad lately.

Last edited by mourning dove; 06-07-2006 at 10:30 AM.

Old 08-31-2006, 02:02 PM   #7
(female)

keynote1 HB User
Unhappy Re: ACTOS and weight gain

I tried posting, don't know where my reply went to, lol, anyway, I've gained WAY too much from taking these prescriptions. I started with glucophage, that made me run to the bathroom everytime I ate something. I then was put on Avandia, that made me swell up so bad I couldn't walk, and gained 10 pounds per month. Then switched to Actos. It made me swell up and gain also, just as bad, but then the swelling went down. I ran out of it, in Dec, having no job/insurance, I couldn't buy it so I was without for 4 months. My dr. got me on a free prescription program and since I started taking it again, I've gained even more, and I was so swollen I couldn't stand it anymore. My dr. wouldn't return my calls, all they ever say is, watch what you eat, and I hardly eat anything at all, trying not to gain.. that's a joke.. Anyway, I stopped taking the actos almost a week ago, now, and it feels like a load of cement has been lifted off my feet. They were so swollen, they were deep red and burning. Among other problems. So, now, I am feeling pretty good but blood sugar is high. I take amaryl also. I guess I need to find a new dr. I hope I can find something that doesn't make me feel like this. I've been taking it since april and the side effects have not changed, they just keep getting worse. I used to weigh 102 pounds, I now weigh over 300! I used to walk 30 minutes on the treadmill, now I can't even make it 5.

Old 09-06-2006, 09:12 PM   #8
(female)

Edi HB User

I haven't taken actos but I've gained about 30 lbs in 2-1/2 months on Lantus. I quit taking it on my own because my body felt really swollen, my joints started aching really bad and I was having a hard time breathing.

My doc wanted me to stay on it but I can't - it scared the bejabbers out of me.

So I don't know what to do either. Good luck and hope we find an answer.

Closed Thread