It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2004, 08:26 PM   #1

BillyW HB User
Glucose urine test strips, My results.

Hello.

Funny thing. My dad had adult-onset diabetes. Many of my uncles do as well.

I'm 26 yo. Last year, just because I was curious, I purchased a bottle of urine glucose color strips.

I tested myself then and the strips stayed normal - no excessive glucose in the urine, at all.

Today, once again out of curiosity, I do the same and the strip turns dark purple almost immediately, the highest range.

I've always known that I'd get type II diabetes eventually, but now it seems as though I finally have it.

I will go to the doctor if after testing myself again, I continue to get "dark purple" as a result. My major concern is to stay as healthy as possible and to protect my organs from damage.

My questions:

Is it possible that because the strips are a year old, they are no longer valid? I can understand having positive results and not being able to rely on them for judging just how positive or how much glucose there is in my urine, but can it be that they can give me such extremely incorrect results? Does anyone have experience with this?

Presuming I have diabetes now, what do I do? I'm not overweight at all, though I'm not "ripped"; I don't eat much but, of course, I should change my diet as it consists of some junk food. - No more Ramen, Wendy's, Pizzas for me. That said, what should I be eating? Is cereal with fruit, ok?

I'm looking, of course, only for some preliminary information; first-person anecdotes would be useful.

Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2004, 06:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User
Re: Glucose urine test strips, My results.

With glucose strips, you can't rely on the date on the bottle. The reagent strips are only good for a little while before their accuracy is off. I would go and buy another bottle and test. I would NOT first thing in the morning when you haven't eaten. Your urine collects glucose spilled out from the liver through the night. You will have a higher reading on a reagent strip simply due to the fact that the urine has collected in the bladder. Take it at different times of day. If the strip reacts, I would make an appt with the Dr

Assuming the strip is correct. You will want to start paying close attention to what you eat. This is only after you have called and made an appt with the Dr You want to start knowing everything you consume and what it does to your blood sugars. This is not as hard as it sounds as you simply log your food and blood sugars. Watching foods that are high sugar but empty calories is a good bet. The best rule of thumb is to eat healthy and well rounded. Focus more on complex carbs and protein. Along with the appt with the Dr, you will want to get a referral with a dietician. They can tell you what you need to focus on regarding your individual situation. Good luck

Old 10-18-2004, 07:52 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

german30 HB User

Great advice Mommy of 4, I have been diagnosed with type2 and am able to keep my blood sugar under control with diet and exercise( 14 day ave. at 103 this morning). I also worked with a dietician to learn what food I can eat, it is also best to set up a diet for the individual and not a blanket diet. Good Luck to you!!

Old 10-21-2004, 12:34 AM   #4

BillyW HB User

Thank you two for your replies. I really appreciate them.

Here's an update:

In the morning when I test, I get negative results. After I've eaten a meal- maybe something like chicken patty sandwiches, and test myself an hour or two later, test strips come in negative. It seems that they are positive whenever I've eaten something like "Fruit Harvest" cereal. Today, I admit, I cheated and have been drinking regular soda. (Is diet soda, good for Diabetics?)

I'm still not sure if indeed I actually do have diabetes. I'm sure that the test strips are consistent -- whenever they've turned purple (and sometimes, off the chart, dark blue!) -- I'd take out another strip and test and I'd get the same exact result. But I am wondering if it's possible non-diabetics can have that amount of glucose in their urine. Otherwise, I feel perfectly fine, my vision is fine, though I do have a very vague feeling in my kidney area, though that may be my imagination. In anycase, there's no pain.

I'd definitely appreciate any anecdotes and other information.

Thanks again!

Last edited by BillyW; 10-21-2004 at 12:35 AM.

Old 10-21-2004, 01:39 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Mark Munday HB User

Billy,

The fact that you are getting postive readings from urine tests suggest that you may have diabetes. Glucose shouldn't normally spill over into the urine in Non-diabetics. It is not possible to reach any other conclusions on the basis of urine tests. To get more insight on what is going on, you need to analyse blood glucose levels.

The next step is for you to have a glucose tolerance test done by a doctor. After consuming a measured amount of glucose, your blood is tested at hourly intervals to see what happens. It provides an accurate picture of just how well your body is able to process glucose. It will either confirm your suspicions, and reveal how far the diabetes has progressed. Or it will show that you have nothing to worry about.

You could also buy a finger***** blood glucose monitor and do some more tests yourself. But I would go to a doctor and have a GTT done if I were you.

Cheers,

Mark

Last edited by Mark Munday; 10-21-2004 at 01:41 PM.

Old 10-22-2004, 11:46 AM   #6

Kiowas72 HB User

Where do i buy those Glucose urine test strips ? can they detect if your blood sugar level is too low ? or only if its too high ?
thanks

Old 10-23-2004, 01:45 PM   #7

BillyW HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiowas72
Where do i buy those Glucose urine test strips ? can they detect if your blood sugar level is too low ? or only if its too high ?
thanks
I went to a local pharmacy and picked them up. I forget for how much - anywhere between 20-40 $. Strips test for the presence of glucose in urine and not, of course, for the absence of it. Abnormally high amounts of glucose in the bloodstream gets its way into the urine.

As for me, I'm still using my urine strips just for the sake of getting a preliminary sense of what's going on. I'm going to have a GTT done next week.

Since I've discovered my own problems, my health has been deteriorating - or maybe it's because I'm stressed out by everything? I feel weaker, I notice in retrospect that the scrapes that I had took an awfully long time to heal. And finally I think I'm becoming borderline sexually dysfunctional. I don't feel "full" down there - is this supposed to happen? In this regard, does it ever get a better? Perhaps with better exercise?

Thanks again for the replies.

Last edited by BillyW; 10-23-2004 at 01:45 PM.

Closed Thread