It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2004, 02:22 PM   #1

mamak HB User
Diabetes and Low Carb Diet/ Atkins

At one time I did the Atkins diet and did lose weight and my blood sugars went down. But since having the bypass, I'm not sure if its a good diet for the heart or not. I've wondered if the high protein may have played a roll in the 3 clogged arteries. Are there any diabetics that do the low carb, meat, cheese and eggs with heart conditions? Mama Kay

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2004, 12:49 PM   #2

Kiowas72 HB User
Re: Diabetes and Low Carb Diet/ Atkins

just a little tid bit , weather you are going low carb or not. Buffolo meat is WAY lower in fat then beef. A lot of stores at least carry ground Buffolo so you can use a little of it. so that would reduce your fat intake. though i'm not a nutritionist Protien isn't gonna clog your arteries.

i actually just read in a book that most of the fat that clogs artiries is Polyunsaturated fat. even though that's what is "recomended" Grr wish i had that book with me to post the numbers and the study that produced them... i'll maybe grab it during lunch

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2004, 01:57 PM   #3

mamak HB User

Thanks Ki, I did the low carb diet once and did really well with it and the blood sugars did go down but you hear some much about eating all the meat and high cholestrol (sp) foods, then it makes one wonder if conquering one problem isn't creating another. Thanks for your reply, Mama Kay

Old 10-22-2004, 09:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

arkie6 HB User

I would recommend that you go over to the High Cholesterol forum here and read some of the recent topics there. Many of them discuss the benefits of a low carbohydrate diet with regards to cardivascular health.

It is not excess protein, fat (at least not the natural forms of fat), and cholesterol in your diet that you need to be worried about, but the carbohydrates and in particular the sugars and starchy carbohydrates.

As a side note, manufactured fats like partially hydrogentated vegetable oils (in shortening, margarine, cookies, crackers, etc.) which are high in trans fatty acids have been shown to increase insulin resistance and have an adverse effect on cardiovascular health.

Old 10-23-2004, 01:09 AM   #5

mamak HB User

Thanks Ark, I do love red meat and from what I hear people say is that its a no-no for someone with heart problems. You can only eat so much chicken or fish. I'm trying so hard to find something that agrees with the diabetes and heart disease. I thank you for your advice and will read the cholestrol forum. Mama Kay P.S. I've also stepped up to walking everyday. My body has been idle way too long.

Old 10-30-2004, 04:40 PM   #6

snoozin30 HB User

My mom has type two diabeties and kidney disease and her doctor recommended the South Beach diet for her. We have both been on it now for a couple of months and it is working out right. This diet isn't as extreme as the atkins and is better for diabetics. Do a search on the south beach diet and you should find their website. You can join for like $30 and then it is $6.00 a month. Best of luck to you.

Old 11-02-2004, 09:34 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

Not sure how I missed this post -sorry for my delayed reply!

I do not agree that Atkins or any low-carb diet is the answer for controlling diabetes. You are right to be concerned about creating additional health problems. And you really need to look at the BIG picture when considering your diet and how it will effect your health.

The biggest problem with a low-carb diet is that it forces you to over-consume the other macronutrients, protein and fat. There are risks in consuming excessive amounts of protein and fat for healthy people, and these risks are magnified for diabetics.

Diabetics do not have difficulty controlling glucose levels BECAUSE they consume carbs... the problems lie in insufficient (or non-existant) insulin production or insulin resistance (inability for the insulin to penetrate the cells). IMO omitting carbs from the diet is merely a bandaid fix - it may help to control glucose levels, but it does not heal the body where it's broken and it does lead to other problems.

The fact is that carbs are needed by your body - carbs are your body's preferred fuel source. Sure, if you don't eat carbs, your glucose will not elevate as dramatically, but there ARE other things that cause your glucose to rise besides consuming carbs.

I believe a better approach is to ration your carb intake and learn which carbs your body can best tolerate and in what quantities. This way, you are not depriving your body of fuel AND you are not placing your health at risk by overconsuming protein and fat. So what are some of these risks? Well I won't break out into the details here unless you want me to, but here they are in a nutshell:
Excessive protein consumption causes kidney disease and weakens liver function. (many people dispute this but it is a FACT!)
Excessive fat consumption causes heart and liver disease, and raises your cholesterol.
Lack of carbs leads to loss of lean muscle mass (which weakens your body, slows your metabolism, and leads to less efficient use of glucose)
I do agree that saturated fat is not completely to blame for high cholesterol, heart disease, liver disease, etc., but it is a contributing factor. Unhealthy carbs such as refined flour products and sugars will cause problems too. But all too often ALL "carbs" get the bad rap when it is really only certain carbs that cause the problems.

There are many people that don't like the idea of having to work so hard at planning a meal - because it does take a bit more work to balance a diet that includes carbs while still acheiving glucose control... but only in the beginning. For example, its much easier to have an unlimited portion of meat and a salad loads of dressing. It's more difficult to measure out a modest portion of meat, brown rice, and veggies, but MUCH healthier for you. In addition to balancing the diet, excercise is critical. There is nothing that burns through glucose better than excercise.

The bottom line is that it will take some work to discover the right mix of carb consumption and exercise your body needs to gain control of your diabetes - its different for everyone. But it is DEFINATELY worth the effort. And once you get into a routine, it becomes second nature.

Let me also add that my diet still includes saturated fats AND carbohydrates and I have not only acheived glucose control but my cholesterol has dropped in half. I have mentioned before that chemical additives and preservatives in food are the greatest cause of health problems but few people ever discuss this. Toxins have a much greater impact on your liver and metabolism than carbs, fat, or protein - avoid them and your health will improve dramatically!

Old 11-02-2004, 01:51 PM   #8

mamak HB User

Wow JD, I had already recieved the message in the pit of my stomach that low carb wasn't the way to go. Your right, I was looking for the easy way out. Planning and cooking meals, I'm not good at doing. But in my heart, I know I have to learn. Your information about the carbs was something I didn't know. I was blaming my diabetes on Carbs. While on the diet the last time (which I gained the weight back) after reaching my goal and starting up carbs again, did take my bs down, but I felt like heck, no energy or motivation. A problem with my cooking is I grew up with meat and potatoes. Really never had to eat any vegetables. Usually a can of corn, green beans, blackeyed peas were opened up when we ate vegetables. So I have some learning to do. I would like to share one encouraging thing in this post. This last week my bs have been down in the 200's instead of the 500's. I know I still have work to do to get below 150, but after my ordeal, I'm ready. Thanks for all your information. When I see that you've posted, I think praise the Lord, some more education on how I can live. You are appreciated, a bunch...Mama Kay

Old 11-02-2004, 03:25 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

Let me clarify, overconsumption of carbs, especially "junk carbs" definately DOES contribute to the development of T2 diabetes.

What I was trying to say is that once a person is diagnosed as a diabetic, and they continue to have difficulty controlling their blood glucose levels, carb consumption is NOT necessarily to blame. There are many other factors. Once the metabolism is malfunctioning, glucose can be out of control from eating, not eating, excercising, not excercising, stress, sickness, etc etc etc. Its not just about carbs.

There are a few of us on this board who have regained the ability to consume higher levels of carbs with no problems. Though I usually do limit my carb consumption to 50-60 grams in a meal, I can and sometimes do have as much as 80-90 carb grams in a meal and my glucose levels remain normal. But I NEVER consume white flour products, pasta, bread, sugar, candy, cakes, juices, etc. My carbs are brown rice, potatoes, beans, veggies, fruit, and soy.

I know I sound like a broken record but I am telling you - the chemical additives and preservatives have a greater impact on your metabolic function than any real food you consume.

I guess the bottom line is that this is a puzzle that needs to be pieced together. And every individual must find a way to make it work...

Old 11-02-2004, 05:08 PM   #10

mamak HB User

JD, I totally understand what your saying. And yes there are more things that contribute to high blood sugar, such as stress. Which had been a big part of my life. I know that illnesses also contribute. One of my most major problems is I need to exercise more. This last couple of years, I've slowed down and I know I need to get moving. Mama Kay

Old 11-03-2004, 08:15 AM   #11
Senior Veteran

jojo64 HB User

I agree that the South Beach diet seems to be a good diet for those with T2 diabetes or insulin resistance. I've been on it since April, and I've been able to totally stop taking my meds. My cholesteral has also come down quite a bit, although I'm still on those meds. And I've lost about 25 pounds and am now easily maintaining the loss.

South Beach is about eating whole, unprocessed foods. Lean fats and protein, complex carbs such as veges, beans and whole grains. I think the reason it's working so well for me is that I finally have an actual list of foods and ingredients I should avoid, as well as a list of foods that I can eat. So I just choose from the good foods to plan my meals and snacks. It sounds easy but when I tried doing a similiar way of eating on my own I just never really knew if what I thought was a "healthy" food was actually something I should have been eating. South Beach has taken the guess work out of it for me and given me clear guidelines on how to take control of my diet and my health.

Now, I need to work on exercising more, which is just about my least favorite activity on earth!!

Old 11-03-2004, 10:55 AM   #12

mamak HB User

Jojo thats just the type of diet I need, a list that says what you can eat and what not to eat. I know my choices aren't always the best. I will be taking a look at the South Beach diet.

Old 11-05-2004, 06:22 AM   #13

pamperedglitter HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdimassimo
Let me also add that my diet still includes saturated fats AND carbohydrates and I have not only acheived glucose control but my cholesterol has dropped in half. I have mentioned before that chemical additives and preservatives in food are the greatest cause of health problems but few people ever discuss this. Toxins have a much greater impact on your liver and metabolism than carbs, fat, or protein - avoid them and your health will improve dramatically!
Your post is just what I needed to hear! I am a new type II diabetic. Just found out this morning.

How long will it take do you think for my blood sugar to get to a low level with vigorous diet, like you described, along with daily exercise?

I am wondering what to do, My blood sugar is 161 this morning. I am going to exercise and do a strict diet. How long before I will see results?

Old 11-05-2004, 06:27 AM   #14

pamperedglitter HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo64
I agree that the South Beach diet seems to be a good diet for those with T2 diabetes or insulin resistance. I've been on it since April, and I've been able to totally stop taking my meds. My cholesteral has also come down quite a bit, although I'm still on those meds. And I've lost about 25 pounds and am now easily maintaining the loss.

South Beach is about eating whole, unprocessed foods. Lean fats and protein, complex carbs such as veges, beans and whole grains. I think the reason it's working so well for me is that I finally have an actual list of foods and ingredients I should avoid, as well as a list of foods that I can eat. So I just choose from the good foods to plan my meals and snacks. It sounds easy but when I tried doing a similiar way of eating on my own I just never really knew if what I thought was a "healthy" food was actually something I should have been eating. South Beach has taken the guess work out of it for me and given me clear guidelines on how to take control of my diet and my health.

Now, I need to work on exercising more, which is just about my least favorite activity on earth!!
jojo, I am glad for you! That is great! What was your average Blood sugar before you started the diet? Which oral medicine were you on? I am a new type II diabetic. Just found out this morning! My head is spinning right now!

I am going to try the diet, I have the book. Should I follow the diet like it explains or did you do any modification?
Thanks

Old 11-05-2004, 08:11 AM   #15
Senior Veteran

jojo64 HB User

MY BS was all over the place before, although with meds (I was on Metformin) I was keeping it under pretty tight control. I didn't modify the diet at all - the only thing I would suggest is to read the entire book first, and to keep a close eye on your BS if you're taking meds cause they could drop too low if your carbs are relatively low and your meds have not decreased. Be sure to get enough carbs, too. Don't be scared of them. You can eat tons of veges and beans and they are a good source of healthy carbs. In the later phases you can also add whole grains and fruit (go easy on the fruit if you are diabetic). I would also suggest checking out the SBD online (there is a charge though), or finding a free website for SBD'ers, cause as more research is being done the allowed foods lists change. For example, you can now have bean/legumes on Phase 1, as well as dairy. The food lists for the other Phases are updated periodically as well.

Closed Thread