It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2004, 08:35 PM   #1
(male)

Spydc HB User
Lightbulb Blood sugar level 120? Should i be worried?

Hi everyone. I am 24 and today at my job there was a health fair where one can be tested for hiv, blood sugar levels, and blood pressure. I had my blood sugar level checked. They just *****ed my finger and put it on a strip which was read through a tiny device. The result was 120. I was told normal levels are below 100. She told me that it was borderline okay and a little high. Now, I had this done like about 30 minutes or so after a ate my lunch with a soda. Would that cause it to be so high? I had my blood work done probably about 3 times in the past 9 months (fasting blood tests) where they basically checked for everything and my blood sugar levels were always good according to the doctor.

I was kind of nervous at the results so I made an appointment to see my doctor on monday so that I can do another blood test just to be safe. Does anyone know how high blood sugar levels rises after eating and drinking? Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2004, 09:09 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User
Re: Blood sugar level 120? Should i be worried?

I don't think your test was abnormal at all. I am quite suprised that they would tell you it should be 100, especially if they knew you just had lunch. Sodapop alone will cause the glucose levels to rise - the fact that you were only 120 is a sign that everything is working just fine. If I drank a sodapop, my glucose would shoot up over 200!

There are several accurate ways to test - a fasting glucose, taken first thing in the morning before any food is consumed, is one of the primary indicators of diabetes because it shows your body's glucose response in the absence of food. Another way to test is called post-prandial - this is precisely 2 hours after the first bite of your last meal. So it would have been better to check your blood 2 hours after lunch, rather than 30 minutes.

Here are some standards for blood glucose levels (also note that some of these numbers have been recently lowered):

Non-diabetics
Before Breakfast (fasting) - < 110 (used to be 120, now they look for 100)
Before lunch, supper and snack - < 110
Two hours after meals - < 140
Bedtime - < 120
HA1C - < 6%

Diabetics
Before Breakfast (fasting) - 90-130 (now 80-120)
Before lunch, supper and snack - 90-130
Two hours after meals - < 160 (now 80-140)
Bedtime - 110-150 (now 100-140)
HA1C -< 7%

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2004, 11:06 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

That level is perfectly normal considering you had just had a soda (non-diet, I assume?).

The "below 100" is for fasting blood glucose levels, not for postprandial (after meals) levels, and JD's given you the standard ranges.

Isn't it sad that not all medical personnel are as well educated as they should be?

Ruth

Old 11-12-2004, 11:28 AM   #4

mamak HB User

JD I've printed out the bs guideline you posted. Ruth your absolutely right about the medical profession. When my diabetes was first diagnosed, I was given pills and told to take one a day. I was not told to check my blood sugars, or to get more exercise, and what to eat and not to eat. To be honest, I'm learning more here than I did my first doctor. Mama Kay

Closed Thread