It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2005, 11:47 PM   #1

Infowanter HB User
Question Can u Drink at ALL while taking insulin? I just noticed sticker that said no alcohol.

I take humalog and lantus insulin.
I just noticed for the FIRST time, and no one told me... that the box has a sticker saying do not drink alcohol while on this medicine.
Are they saying not to drink it right when I take it becasue it may lower my blood sugar more or I might not realize how low its going if I got drunk or are they saying I should no longer drink alcohol at ALL because of some danger insulin and alcohol do long term?

I dont drink much at all. To tell you the truth once or twice a month and I may drink too much a couple of times a year (meaning intoxication).
But this really worries me because I try to take good care of myself.

Can someone help me with this and please dont answer unless you know for a FACT.
Not to make anyone mad but I really want to get accurate information and a ''as far as I know'' or ''I think'' is really not what im looking for.

Thanks all!

Old 01-02-2005, 04:55 AM   #2
(female)

Linda1629 HB User
Re: Can u Drink at ALL while taking insulin? I just noticed sticker that said no alco

Okay, I will tell you what I know. Alcohol has unpredictable effects on blood sugar and after two or three drinks it will inhibit your liver's ability to produce glucose and therefore your blood sugar will drop. It can happen fast and you may or may not feel it coming on, especially if you've had a few.

One or two drinks may be okay for you (occassionally) but you may want to try it at home first to see how your body reacts to the alcohol. What you then can do is adjust your insulin amount when you do have a drink. Oh, and never have a drink without eating. Think of it like exercise. You wouldn't exercise without eating so don't drink without eating. And like exercise, you just have to know how it effects your blood sugar, everyone is different.

Remember, I am only talking one or two drinks and at that, it has to be very occassionally. If you have a good endocrinologist then they should be very honest with you about things like this. There's no reason they should tell you that you can never drink. Things come up and diabetics just have to be more careful but there's no reason you shouldn't be able to have a drink once in awhile. Hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2005, 08:57 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: Can u Drink at ALL while taking insulin? I just noticed sticker that said no alcohol.

Linda's advice was excellent! NEVER, NEVER drink without eating, and NEVER, NEVER drink more than one or two drinks!

Ruth

Closed Thread