It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2005, 07:27 PM   #1
(male)

Patrick426 HB User
Numbness in my feet

Since I have become a type 2 diabetic I have been having severe numbness in my feet from the ball of my foot to my toes. The doctor gave me Amitriptyline which has helped very little. Could I have Nuerophy, I have read something on this disease and it really sounds like what I have. Is there anything that I can do to ease this pain or fine out if I do have Nuerophy?

Old 01-17-2005, 08:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: Numbness in my feet

Yes, it does sound as if you may have neuropathy.

First thing to do is to make sure you get your blood sugars under as tight control as possible. This will prevent further damage and, in some cases, can even reverse some of the damage.

Several members of this board and another board I belong to have had great success with the use of Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA) and Gamma Lipoic Acid (GLA) for treatment of neuropathy. If you do a search for "neuropathy" +Alpha Lipoic Acid, you should be able to find the threads where that's been discussed.

Ruth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2005, 04:57 PM   #3
(male)

Patrick426 HB User

Thank you Ruth for your advise. My diebetis stays between 85-100 I only have problems with it dropping too low. Could you please tell me if Apha Lipoic Acid (ALA) is a prescription medication? If so should I ask my doctor about it?
I have only been a type 2 diabetic for 2 yrs. and never had any problems until my feet starting hurting.

Thank you,

Patrick

Old 01-18-2005, 06:50 PM   #4

jbot HB User

Hi Patrick,
Your problem sounds exactly like mine. Right now my feet are burning and throbing to my knees. I was dx about 2 yrs ago also and my diabetes is under control. The dr told me you can have diabetic neuropathy even before you have the actual diease itself. All I k now is it is a form of neuropathy. and not a pleasant one at that. I have had foot and leg pain for 12 yrs now. One day it wasn`t there and the next it seemed like it was. For a long time I blamed it on a confortable pair of shoes I had that cut across my toes. That still may be part of the problem but not all. Foot dr doesn`t see anything to make my feet hurt like this. Another thing it could be is arthritis in my feet as I have it bad in my hands. The dr gave me the med for seizures (Forgot name) and I took it for awhile and didn`t know what world I was in and it didn`t help the pain. I started hearing things about it and desided it wasn`t something I wanted to be on the rest of my life. I have enough memory problems. I wish I could be of more help but other then to say I FEEL your pain there isn`t much I have found that helps. Good luck to you and keep keeping you b/s under control.......jb

Old 01-18-2005, 08:41 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Patrick,
No, ALA and GLA are not prescription medications. I just did a search for them on this board, and the threads that come up are not the ones I was remembering...perhaps they are too old at this point. So, do a Google search instead...alpha lipoic acid +neuropathy...that should bring you some info re the dosages. If you search this board for "neuropathy", you will get some interesting threads that discuss medications for painful neuropathy, which might also be helpful.

Ruth

Last edited by SamQKitty; 01-18-2005 at 08:42 PM.

Old 01-28-2005, 06:24 PM   #6
(female)

elegantlyblue HB User

i was wanting to know if this neuropathy can cause your hand to tingle and your legs to cramp at night after you go to bed????

Old 01-28-2005, 06:44 PM   #7
(male)

breadmaker HB User

Sorry to hear about the numbness you are experiencing. I feel it is important for you to consult a physician who specializes in diabetes. Often if you have access to a hospital or community diabetes program they can assist you in the right direction. Some preventative things you may consider is to routinely check the bottom of your feet w/a mirror each evening. Especially if you do a lot of walking. Foot care at this point is extremely important such as proper socks and shoes. Usually neuropathy is an advanced complication of diabetes so you may have had diabetes years prior to diagnosis which is usually the case. Controlling your blood sugars is a must at this point and routine foot care is also a priority. good luck and hang in there.

Old 01-28-2005, 06:59 PM   #8
(female)

elegantlyblue HB User

have you patrick or any one else tried this alpha lipoic acid and if so did it work my husband has problems with feet staying cold and feet being numb and bad leg cramps and now his hand tigles can anyone tell me more info on this neuropathy.. he is a siabetic .....

Closed Thread