It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2005, 08:51 PM   #1
(male)

Ken1728 HB User
Diabetes and Yeast Infections in Men

I am 59 yr old M with type II diabetes. I keep getting yeast infections under my arm pits and groin area.

What gives and how do I prevent this?

Old 03-05-2005, 08:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

delrae4753 HB User
Re: Diabetes and Yeast Infections in Men

its seems to be a very common thing with men my husband has the same thing you can use any antifungal cream powder or spray but use it often even when you dont have an outbreak aslo you may ask your dr for a rx sometimes they use nystatin for this good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2005, 03:57 PM   #3
(male)

MikeP19602 HB User

Hi,
Don't know if this would be called helping or not.
Alittle over 1 year ago I complained to my diabetic doc about red irriation on skin in groin, under my gut and under armpits. He said some kind of fungal infection more than likey yeast. I had been putting Desitin cream on it already, which wasn't helping. He gave Rx of Nystat powder. I did that for a few months and it was like a cycle get better and then start again with little red spots that grew. I complained to my regular doc and she looked at it and said same thing but gave me a Rx of Nizoral tabs for 2 weks. No improvement and she said keep using Nystat while taking it. And tried Lamsal cream and lotrimon powder until next visit. Then she gave Rx for 2 wks of Diflucan tabs and it cleared just about completely. I thought would finish clearing up on it's own but got worse again. Next appointment she gave another Rx for Diflucan for 90 days. About 2 weeks into it skin was awful go got appointment for a dermatogolist. He looked at it and said more than likey had fungal infection but thought skin needed help healing. He gave Rx of 2.5% hydrocortisone cream to put on Bid. Everything looked good after couple weeks and repeat visit to skin clinic they said keep Rx of cortisone to use prn, keep my blood surgars good and drink plently of water. And said more than likely will be an on going thing from now on. Was clear about 2 months now have a couple pink spots in groin so been using cream again.
Werid thing is I drink plenty of water daily(@least 2 liters of plain water daily not counting other drinks), my blood surgars have run great during all this time and my A1C was running alittle over 7 and last week was 6.6( agv. 134).
Hope you good luck and hope you get it cleared up quickly.
Later,
Mike

Old 03-17-2005, 09:01 AM   #4
(female)

lightinthehouse HB User

hi there.i don't know if you have seen my posts in the kidney donors thread...but my s/o has been having this problem for the last couple of months...and just recently for some unknown reason,it seems to be clearing up right now.He had a kidney t/p in Oct.of 2003...and has been on antirejection meds and antibiotics.The t/p hospital did a EGD[looking down his throat]...and found yeast all up and down his throat...the doc said most probably the antibiotic was causing the problem.Diflucan was prescribed....this did the trick for him....when the yeast was present...sugars were running high...The Diflucan suddenly brought the sugar readings down...the yeast disappeared. So...IMHO....i am not an expert....this is just my opinion....i researched a lil,and i see a connection between high glucose readings and yeast problems....Sugar aggravates yeast....Also moldy type foods[that develop mold after awhile]such as cheese products and breads....also aggravate yeast....i have tried to get my s/o to limit his eating so much cheese,which he loves....and drink more water...to 'cool the innards'...since heat also activates yeast multiplication....maybe something here will make sense to you....

Old 03-17-2005, 06:44 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Once you get a yeast infection cleared up, the surest way to prevent its reoccurrence is to keep your blood glucose levels tightly controlled.

Ruth

Closed Thread