It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2005, 09:39 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

irys HB User
extreme fatigue after eating

Does anyone know if this could be related to diabetes/hypoglycemia??

I just finished lunch, oh about 15 minutes ago and now I can't stop yawning.. If I wasn't at work I'd lay down and take a nap, but it's all I can do not to nod off..

For lunch I had a ham sandwich and some sun chips.

I'm being tested for diabetes/hypoclycemia but the results aren't in yet. When I did the 2 hour glucose tolerance test, the same thing happened to me then - except I was asleep in the lab room.

Please, and thank you

Old 03-15-2005, 10:32 AM   #2

LoriZ HB User
Re: extreme fatigue after eating

Hi irys, I am a type 1 diabetic/26 years. I can't say if your fatigue would be caused by diabetes but you may be lacking digestive enzymes. I do get tired when I eat a lot of sugar (even though I'm on an insulin pump) or when the blood sugar is real high. I use enzymes religiously and they help me a lot with blood sugar control after eating carbs. Some ways of knowing whether or not you need enzymes: of course fatigue, heartburn, gas, bloating, indigestion, hiccupping after eating. Good luck to you and I hope your results are negative!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2005, 10:42 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

irys HB User

well I definatley have the bloating thing going on.. not so much the others aside from the fatigue.

I'm waiting on a call back from the doctors office so hopefully they can at least relax my mind a little and tell me what the results were (my appointment isn't until mid-april!) I'm just tired of being so tired all the time, then being even MORE tired after meals.

Old 03-16-2005, 11:34 AM   #4

bastila HB User

Food allergies can cause fatigue Which can be related to lack of the right enzymes. Have you taken a lot of antibiotics the past year or so. Antibiotics kill the good yeast and enzymes in your digestive system. If it is a type of low blood sugar then try eating a few almonds 15 to 30 min. after you eat a meal, and protein is very important in helping level out the blood sugar. Limit fats and sugars. Best wishes.

Old 03-16-2005, 11:49 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

irys HB User

I'm allergic to most antibiotics, so to answer your question, no.. Usually when I'm sick I have to fight it myself with lots of rest and fluids.

My doc also tested me for food allergies when she tested for diabetes - those results aren't in yet either I hate waiting! I'll try the protein thing.. I don't like almonds, but I have some other nuts at home I can try that with. Usually in the afternoons around 2:30/3:00 I have a banana and low-fat peanut butter, which helps a little I guess.. I'm not *as* tired as I am after lunch.

Thanks for the tips..

Last edited by irys; 03-16-2005 at 11:51 AM.

Closed Thread