It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2005, 06:58 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASDGRMama HB User
another question

Well, we are monitoring my toddler's low blood sugar at home now with a glucosometer. I tested my other children's fasting glucose (before breakfast) mostly for comparison.

My 5 1/2 year old's fasting glucose was 104 and two hours after breakfast it was 145. At bedtime it was 155. The booklet defines this as impaired glucose tolerance. I can't find much that talks about children with these slight elevations. There is a lot of info about the possibility of it leading to type 2 diabetes in adults though. My daughter has no risk factors for type 2. She is actually small for her age (born premature and had whooping cough at 7 wks so it was a rough start for her). She eats well (we don't allow junk food of any kind in the house), gets regular exercise and only her great grandparents have type 2. Although my brother has reactive hypoglycemia; I don't know if that affects things or not.

She doesn't seem to have obvious symptoms but then again with five children I don't typically monitor who goes potty when and since we have a drinking fountain down stairs I can't really gauge how much she's drinking. She's not losing weight as far as I know but it's hard to tell as she's getting taller and thinning out. I weigh her only a few times a year.

We took my toddler to urgent care today. The doctor is doing more tests and will be referring us to a pediatrician who can better direct us. I'm making an appointment for my 5 1/2 as well but in the mean time am wondering if anyone knows anything about impaired glucose in children.

One more question : If my toddler drinks water at night is that going to affect her fasting glucose? She takes a bottle of water to bed at night and I'm not sure when the precise time she stopped drinking it is. How long should she fast ideally?

Love and Prayers, Kelly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2005, 06:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sharon1030 HB User
Smile Re: another question

Hi Kelly,

I can't help you with your first question, but I'm sorry you guys are having such problems. Hopefully someone will be around soon who knows more than I about your first question. I will say those numbers aren't normal and if I were you, I'd take her to the doc and tell him/her what you've found. About the water drinking before a fasting test....I've always been told that water doesn't count, but we'll see what others have to say. Good luck.

Sharon

Old 04-08-2005, 11:13 AM   #3
(female)

lindiana53 HB User
Re: another question

A test two hours after a meal isn't really a fasting test, so I wouldn't worry about a reading of 100. Even 155 is possible in a normal child, my son's doctor told me. Also, remember that there is a margin of error in meter readings. Of course you should mention your concerns to your pediatrician.

Old 04-08-2005, 11:15 AM   #4
(female)

lindiana53 HB User
Re: another question

Sorry, I totally misread your first post. Anyway, I wouldn't worry but would speak to a doctor. The numbers are a bit high, but there may be reasons that aren't serious.

Closed Thread