It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2005, 11:27 AM   #1
(female)

ShadeMeJaz HB User
Unhappy Eating Disorder - Feeling Out of Luck... :(

I've struggled since very early childhood with an eating disorder (compulsive overeating, binging, emotional eating, habitual eating - started very very young). So, yes, major weight problems here.

Type 2 runs in my family. I figured one day I'd probably get it, but nobody in my family gets it until they're in their 40s or later. I'm not yet 30. But I still think I probably have it. I'm having some pretty hard-to-ignore symptoms. Extreme, excessive thirst that is pretty much non-stop. I always have to carry water with me and have it by me even at night in bed. The thirst NEVER goes away.

Also, just feelings of sometimes despite my eating disorder, actual hunger even after I've already eaten. (I recognize the differences of when I'm emotionally or binge eating without being hungry as opposed to actual hunger signs)

I have very dry skin, dark dry skin patches, very dry lips (Need lip balm lots every day), just lots of things. Now, I do have hypothyroidism, but it is NOT the cause of my weight problems. It COULD contribute to the dry skin though. I'm supposed to go to a lab for a quick blood test just for thyroid again soon to see if I need my med increased. Might be.

But I just feel that it's very likely despite my age, that I have type 2. And I'm afraid to bother with going to the doctor. I mean, my lifestyle is unhealthy and I always worry and figure I'll die much younger then I should, but have not been able to fight my eating disorder successfully at all.

So I feel like, what's the point of getting an official diagnosis when I know what they'll say? They'll say, diet, lose weight, get excersise. I may be able to slowly put in more physical activity but the changing my eating styles and losing weight isn't something I can magically do or do as easily as most people seem to be able to. (Okay, not easily, but my food addiction is so deeply imbedded into who I am, it makes it feel impossible!)

So am I doomed? I mean, if a heart attack won't get me by the time I'm like 40, then my blood sugar levels probably will. What can I do? I'm trying my best to work on the eating disorder. Haven't been able to find much support or help there.

So is there nothing I can do if I have diabetes other then suffer ridicule and criticism for my eating habits and for letting myself be ill? I guess I won't find answers, but I have to keep searching.

It is VERY hard for me to come out and admit all of this in such a public forum, so although I fully appreciate feedback, please TRY to be gentle. I'm having a very hard time right now and telling me things like,"Yep, you'll die young if you don't stop eating like a pig." Will NOT help and is just hurtful and useless.

Thank you for your time.

Jaz

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2005, 04:38 PM   #2
(female)

Linda1629 HB User
Re: Eating Disorder - Feeling Out of Luck... :(

Hi Jaz,

It is possible that you could have type 2 at an early age. They are seeing it in younger and younger people all the time. Okay, let's say that you go to the doctor and you have it. Yes, they'll tell you all the stuff you already know but they can also give you some medication to help your insulin production.

You said you have a thyroid condition. That's an auto-immune disease, as is type 1 diabetes. Just throwing that out there.

My husband is overweight, has high blood pressure, eats wrong, has high cholesterol and he thought he might be heading toward type 2. When he went for his regular checkup he asked the doctor to run a quick A1C blood test. They did and it came back fine. No one gave him a hard time about it, in fact they thought it was a good idea that he suggested it.

Sounds like you have a lot going on with your health and I can empathize with part of it. I struggle with an eating problem myself. Had it under control for awhile but seem to be losing it again. Don't ignore symptoms though, just ask your doc for a quick test and that can tell you all you need to know. And no, you're not doomed, there's always something you can do. Small steps and one day at a time. Good luck. Hope I've been helpful.

Old 04-10-2005, 06:16 AM   #3
(female)

ShadeMeJaz HB User

Hi Linda. Thank you much for your reply. I don't know much about auto-immune diseases, and that could be a possibility, though it's doubtful in my case. My family history and my lifestyle just tend to point to type 2 big time, if I have diabetes. Either way, I know it's a serious disease to deal with and yeah, I'm scared here thinking about that.

That's something else, though I'm not sure anyone on this board can help me with it. I have a lot of trouble with swallowing pills. I can do it, but it's psychological. I have to take pills daily for my thyroid and for depression and I have to fight myself every step of the way, sometimes not quite making it. I get physically sick from even thinking about having to take them. So, if I do have diabetes and they try to add another pill to my day, I'm not sure what will happen there. I'd be better off if all my pills were either in liquid or even injectable form. I know those of you out there who are needle-phobic are going "ARE YOU CRAZY?" But I never had a problem with needles. Just pills. I know, I'm jumping the gun here. It's a possiblity that I don't have diabetes.

Okay, I have no clue what an A1C is, what is that? What kind of blood test do I ask them to run? Just say check me for diabetes? I really am very clueless here...

I'm sorry you've had to deal with an eating problem of your own. Those seem very much the norm these days.

Sorry I'm so long-winded here. Anyway, I really, really appreciate your input and thank you for making me feel like there is hope for me yet. I think people need to keep reminding me of that one day at a time thing.

Jaz

Old 04-10-2005, 06:32 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

Shademejaz,

I am sorry you are having so many health problems. You can't be afraid to go to the doctor - have you ever seen an Endocrynologist? Was your thyroid condition dxd by your general practitioner or an Endo? All glandular diseases are closely tied together. If you do have Hypothyroid it can be related to T2 diabetes. Your symptoms could be from a number of things.

I firmly believe that people with auto-immune diseases need to focus on dramatically improving their health through proper nutrition and balanced diet. I can get more into that with you if you are interested. The bottom line is that you are young, and you can take control of your health now, before you develop irreversable conditions. I won't scare you in this reply, but I can assure you that if you ignore these things now, you will deeply regret it when you are older.

What is your diet like now? What medications do you take? What are other lifestyle factors (do you drink, smoke, drugs?). How overweight are you? Do you excercise? I can give you some recommendations if you are ready to focus on healing your body, but you do need to be mentally ready for change.

Meanwhile, you must see an Endo and have a total work-up done. You many need changes in your thyroid meds or you may have developed other conditions.

Let me know how things go and I am happy to help with the things you can control yourself

Last edited by modert; 04-10-2005 at 11:44 AM.

Old 04-10-2005, 07:46 AM   #5
(female)

Linda1629 HB User

An A1C is a blood test that gives your average blood sugar readings for about the past 10-12 weeks. It doesn't take much blood and the test only takes a few minutes in the lab. Just ask for an A1C and the doctor will know what it is and then the doctor can tell you if your results are in normal range or not. Generally you're looking for a number lower than 6, I think. Diabetics try to get their reading in the 6 to 7 range.

Jdimassimo is right, you shouldn't be afraid to go to the doctor. Or even if you are....go anyway. Let us know how it works out. Good luck.

Old 04-10-2005, 11:48 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

About the A1C - it is very important to remember that this test does not replace the need for regular daily glucose testing. The A1C is based on averages and it is rather unreliable as a sole diagnostic tool. For example, a diabetic could be experiencing very high highs and very low lows (in other words poor glucose control) yet the A1C will indicate a number that implies good control. The A1C should really only be used in conjuction with regular glucose metering.

Old 04-12-2005, 08:16 AM   #7
(female)

ShadeMeJaz HB User
Unhappy Re: Eating Disorder - Feeling Out of Luck... :(

Linda, thank you for explaining about the A1C for me.

Jdimassimo, thanks for your help. I appreciate all the help I can get. But boy you ask some tough questions!! No, I haven't been to an endocrinologist before. You wouldn't believe it, but my thyroid condition was original recognized by a psychiatrist I was seeing! She apparently noted some of my symptoms she recognized could be related to a thyroid problem and sent me for some tests. I don't have a general practitioner and just go to whatever doctor is available and that I can afford. Part of this also has to due with frequent moves that make it difficult to find a regular doctor to see.

I am definitely aware of consequences as I already know my health is poor and I've seen other family members go through major health issues. My father, still alive, had a massive heart attack at only 39 years of age. So, unfortunately, I do know some of what can happen when people don't take care of themselves.

My diet right now is pretty much eat whatever is cheap and handy and it's rarely healthy food. Usually TV dinner type meals. I don't like to cook. I'm very overweight. I've always struggled with my weight. I inconsistently exercise. For me that is just taking short walks or doing extra things around the house that I don't normally do, nothing like aerobics.

Medications I'm taking right now are unithroid and strattera (for depression, not ADHD). I also have xanax, but do not take them regularly. I only take them when absolutely necessary.

I know something else I probably do wrong is have no real set schedule.

Well, I'm feeling pretty low right now with listing all of these negatives about me. The only good I feel I can say about me here is I don't drink, smoke or do drugs. Mentally, I think I'm ready for some changes, but slow, realistic ones. I'm dealing with a lot of things in my life, some of which are out of my control and I can't magically flip a switch and change my life. If only it were so easy.

But any input, advice, help is welcome.

Jaz

Closed Thread