It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2005, 11:24 AM   #1
(female)

needhealing777 HB Userneedhealing777 HB User
A1C---what is a nomal range for non-diabetic

I was told I was borderline a few years ago...I am on no medicine, I know if I don't be good with food, I can have high readings on my meter..anyway, I had A1C and the nurse said it was normal..it was 6.0..what does that mean? Normal for anyone or normal for someone who has problems.

The following user gives a hug of support to needhealing777:
Barbelle1201 (07-29-2011)
Old 04-18-2005, 02:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: A1C---what is a nomal range for non-diabetic

An A1c of 6.0 or less is considered normal for a non-diabetic, according to The Joslin Diabetes Center.

I would not take this as a green light to go off your diet and exercise programs, but rather as an indication that you are doing everything right to delay or prevent the onset of Type 2 diabetes.

Ruth

Last edited by SamQKitty; 04-18-2005 at 02:51 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2005, 05:46 PM   #3
(female)

From what I understand the A1c test is the most accurate test...so do I need to still daily monitor? And why do my readings come out as 115 average in morning...169 average 2 hours after eating and sometimes takes a few hours to get back below 120..I'm confused what to follow...just A1c or still readings at home and why am I having such bad readings when my A1c comes out as non-diabetic..just trying to figure this all out.

Old 04-18-2005, 08:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Your A1c averages out your blood glucose for every second of every 24 hours for 8-12 weeks. Your home blood glucose monitor tests only capture a few moments each day. For example, most of us don't test several times during the night, when our glucose levels are likely to be lower than during the day/evening. An A1c of 6.0 corresponds to an average blood glucose level of 135.

Blood glucose levels, even in a non-diabetic person, fluctuate dramatically over the day. Levels go up after eating, whether or not you're diabetic. The difference is, a non-diabetic's levels won't go up as high and they will return to normal much more quickly. Yours are coming down to 120, which is good for someone who is "borderline" (this usually refers to a condition called "impaired glucose tolerance" or "insulin resistance".)

Yes, you should continue testing, although, if you're not on medication, you probably don't need to test 3-4 times every single day. You can scatter your tests throughout the week. Check a few times fasting, a few times after lunch, a few times after dinner, etc. I'm a big believer in testing, because I think it keeps us on track and helps spot any problems that may be occurring.

By the way, although an A1c of 6.0 or less is within the "normal" range, it's at the very top of the range for a non-diabetic. Non-diabetics more typically run levels of 4.5 to 5.5

Ruth

The Following User Says Thank You to SamQKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2005, 05:02 AM   #5
(female)

Thanks for all the information...i was wondering what the range was..the nurse just called and said it was normal and it was 6 and not knowing the range I didn't know how close I was to high end, etc..that helps to know that..
As for going back down to 120..is it still good, that it could take 4 hours to do that after eating or should I arrive there sooner.
And if i REALLY tried to eat "well", would these levels be better...I do not ever want to cross the line nor go on medicine.

Old 04-19-2005, 06:06 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Most likely someone with NO metabolic problems (no insulin resistance, that is) would probably go down more quickly after a meal. The only thing I can tewll you about those 120 readings is that for a non-diabetic, the pre-bedtime range is supposed to be less than 120, and that would be approximately 4 hours after dinner.

Yes, if you REALLY tried to eat "well", those levels would probably improve somewhat, but don't do something you can't stick to. In other words, if you ate nothing but some salad and protein for every meal for a while, you'd probably get thinner as well as getting your levels down even further, but the downside of that is that if you feel too deprived, and your diet is too limited, you might not stick to it and, in fact, may "rebound" and give up! Just try to eat healthy 90% of the time, and don't beat yourself up if you're not perfect.

As for your statement, "I do not ever want to cross the line nor go on medicine."...You can certainly slow the progression dramatically with diet and exercise, but sadly Type 2 is a progressive illness and eventually you may have to go on medications. The longer you can defer that, of course, the better off you'll be. Just don't be so resistant that you allow your blood glucose levels to run higher than they should be because of some notion that going on medication indicates "failure"...it does not! The important thing is to control your blood glucose levels by any and all means necessary.

Ruth

The following user gives a hug of support to SamQKitty:
The Following User Says Thank You to SamQKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2005, 05:05 AM   #7
(female)

Thanks for helping me understand all this...I'm one that needs to understand and know how things really work and I do want to know how to stay as healthy for as long as I can...now it's just doing it..the hard part...eating healthy..UGH!! That's hard!

Old 04-20-2005, 10:33 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

All of Ruth's advice is great. I also want to add that you should not eliminate all carbs from your diet for fear that they will raise your glucose levels. That would be like never putting gas in your car so you don't ever have to have to worry about running out of gas. (works in the short term but leads to other more serious problems in the long term)

The key to maintaining your health and avoiding the onset of diabetes is learning to eat a healthy balanced diet - a diet that includes healthy types of carbs (whole grains, veggies, fruit, beans, etc), quality protein (fresh lean meats, fish, eggs, beans, nuts), and low "good" fats. Eat the correct number of calories so you get the right amount of fuel for your body to function. Avoid "junk" food, high sugar, refined starches, bad fats, and avoid chemical additives and preservatives wherever possible.

Carbs are needed in the diet. They provide a necessary fuel source for your muscles. Eliminating them or reducing them drastically can lead to metabolic disfunction and can cause ill-health. They key to controlling diabetes is learning to control glucose levels while still providing your body with necessary macronutrients, including carbs.

Old 04-21-2005, 12:03 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Such a good point, JD! You know I'm with you on this one...eliminating an entire category of food doesn't strike me as a wise idea, precisely because of the macronutrients one might be eliminating.

Ruth

Old 04-21-2005, 03:30 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by needhealing777
From what I understand the A1c test is the most accurate test...so do I need to still daily monitor?
I also wanted to add some thoughts about the A1C test. I don't know if I would consider the A1C more accurate, but rather a different type of measurement. The A1C is based on averages - how much glucose is evident in your blood over the course of a 3 month period (its complex to explain what they are actually measuring). So for example one specific A1C result could imply very low readings combined with very high readings, or that same A1C result could imply consistant normal readings. It is not possible to know unless you metering your glucose levels regularly. In other words if person A is testing 50, then 300, then 60, then 200, etc, they could have a similar A1C result as person B who always tests at 120. Person A is clearly having difficulty controlling their glucose while person B is on the right track. This is why it is so important to continue with both. If your daily glucose tests look good AND your A1C is good then the doctor can be sure that you are truly in control. If your daily glucose tests look good but the A1C is high, this implies that something is still not right and you may be missing it with your daily tests.

Old 04-21-2005, 04:22 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Cher2005 HB User

My A1c is now at 5.7. The Dr is thinking of taking me off medication or lowering the dose to every other day. I only take 5 Mg. of Glucotrol.
I started taking the medicine in November when my reading was 276 and A1c was 11.5
I know that I have done very well. But I do watch my diet strictly. My fasting levels are from 100-120 and I can go low during the afternoon. My 2 hr. after meals levels are good too... usually in the 120's.
I think I should stay on the medicine. But I'm worried cause my A1c is low. It goes down a point a month. Maybe I should just start eating more fruit in between?

Old 04-21-2005, 04:52 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

Cher, Your A1C is not too low, you probably don't need to worry about it dropping further. Your glucose readings are okay, but the low A1C may be indicating that you are experiencing much lower lows in the afternoon than you might realize. Do you know how low you are getting in the afternoon? Is it a result of the medication? How long do you wait between lunch and dinner? Do you eat an afternoon snack now?

If you do choose to eat fruit as a snack, make sure you have some protein with it - an egg, an ounce of cheese, some nuts, etc. You should not be eating snacks that are 100% carbs.

The doctor may want you off the meds to see if you can avoid the lows and still maintain control with diet alone. If you do decide to go off the meds you will likely need to refine your diet.

Keep us posted! I'm happy to offer some tips on controlling without meds.

Last edited by modert; 04-21-2005 at 07:59 PM.

Closed Thread