It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2005, 08:18 AM   #1
(female)

Pinay1229 HB User
Conflicting test results?

I am a recently diagnosed Type 2 Diabetic. I'm confused with my tests results.

Dec 14 2004 HBA1C = 9.1
Dec 14 2004 CBC Glucose Fasting = 4.3
Dec 14 2004 Urinalysis Sugar = negative

Jan 19 2005 HBAIC = 5.3
Jan 19 2005 OGTT Fasting = 72.70
OGTT 1 hr = 170.85
OGTT 2 hr = 236.28

April 15 2005 Glucose (PPBS) =72.7

One-Touch Ultra Glucose Monitoring
14 day average = 97
30 day average =91

Most of the time my readings before breakfast and at bedtime are in the mid-80sand 2hrs after meals readings are below 100. I even get readings between 57-80.

Why do my tests seem to have conflicting results?
I thought diabetics have high glucose levels? I always seem to be on the lower end inspite of eating very often?

I'm 39 years old and am not taking any medication or insulinn

Old 04-23-2005, 01:22 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Keraly HB User
Re: Conflicting test results?

These do seem perplexing and mismatched to me, also, but maybe someone else will understand them. Do you see an endocrinologist, or simply a physician? Usually I'd think the A1C's would hold the most weight for diagnosis. ~ Tracy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2005, 08:31 PM   #3
(female)

Pinay1229 HB User

Thank you for the reply. Yes, I've been seeing an endocrinologist and a dietician. I am supposed to take 2 tests again in a month (FBS, Lipid profile) to see if the diet they put me on will help me lower my cholesterol and get me more balanced. I'm having trouble following the diet, though.

I sought a second opinion from another doctor and the diagnosis was confirmed.

Old 04-24-2005, 09:53 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

CobaltBlue HB User

Pinay,

What might be less strange is if you had mentioned that between December and January you had dropped weight, started exercising more than before and changed your diet. The 9.1 A1c put you up in the diabetic range, and the 5.3 takes you back down to what is considered normal range, but still for most people normal is going to be < 5% even though the cutoff is stipulated at 6.2% for diabetes. Having said that, if you spend most of your time at lower than average glucose levels and only have impaired glucose tolerance (which your OGTT levels do indicate that in the least you are there--type 2 after all is a further degree/state of IGT) then your January 15 values are definitely plausible. Still doesn't explain why the Dec ones are so high...?

As for the One Touch measurement, that might be a product of when you measure coupled with the probability based on your measurements that you are eating carefully (to your credit, either on purpose or not), such that you don't tax your body with a high carb load at meal time (unlike what the OGTT did).

Last edited by CobaltBlue; 04-24-2005 at 09:56 AM.

Old 04-24-2005, 07:17 PM   #5
(male)

jerrytom HB User

Pinay, When was the last time you used the glucose test solution with your meter? I have a One Touch and they recomend it every month. Check your codes also. I know it seems silly but sometimes I forget to change the codes. Good luck finding a solution. Jeff

Old 04-27-2005, 05:34 PM   #6
(female)

Pinay1229 HB User

I use the glucose test solution each time I use a new box of test strips. I'm wondering if it might be contaminated? I haven't lost weight according to the scale but everyone tells me I look like I've lost a lot. (I don't exercise, unfortunately although I know I should.)

Old 04-27-2005, 06:50 PM   #7
(male)

midlife05 HB User

A few variables apply. If you look at the bottle of test strips they have a accuaracey range. Its a pretty wide range. Venous blood versus cappilary blood also measures differnet by as much as 20% less I believe. My meter read 96 had my blood draw and it was 88. A1C's are based on the life cycle of red blood cells. The a1c measures the amount of glucose that basically sticks to the blood cell. Its by far a exact science. If you were running high eating a bunch or High carb food/drinks from Halloween till December like 90 percent of people do then the a1c would be high. The you start eating sensible and your a1c's get in the normal range.

Last edited by midlife05; 04-27-2005 at 07:00 PM.

Old 04-28-2005, 03:47 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

Pinay, I do not find your results all that confusing. In your case, your glucose levels are rising in response to your meals but not necessarily in response to fasting. Your HA1C clearly indicates that you are experiencing VERY high glucose levels at some point, but not necessarily first thing in the morning. Your Glucose Tolerance Test further indicates that your glucose levels are extremely elevated 2 hours after consumption of glucose, indicating that your body is not producing insulin or efficiently using insulin to burn the glucose.

I recommend that you start monitoring your glucose more often - , every morning, before every meal, 2 hours after the start every meal (post-prandial), and at bedtime. Try this for 1 week - it will paint a much clearer picture for you.

Old 04-30-2005, 10:58 PM   #9
(female)

Pinay1229 HB User

Thanks for the input! I thought the prost-prandial is taken 2 hours AFTER last intake. I'll try what you suggested and will keep a log. I really appreciate everyone's help.

Old 05-01-2005, 05:47 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinay1229
I thought the prost-prandial is taken 2 hours AFTER last intake.
That is correct - I was recommending 4 separate testing times.

1. Fasting
2. Before every meal
3. Post Prandial
4. Bedtime

I have issue with GTT tests for several reasons. While a GTT indicates the body's response to a very high level of administered glucose, it does not really indicate the body's response to normal, every day circumstances. Also, unless a 5-hr GTT is done, you really never see the body's full cycle, which can means you really never know how your body is responding. It would be very telling to know what your glucose levels were in hours 3, 4, and 5. This would show how far your glucose plummets and if you have hypoglycemic tendencies.

My recommendation to you is that you focus on balancing your glucose levels. Aim to keep your glucose levels steady throughout the day so you can avoid the highs and the lows. There are several strategies that can help you accomplish this.

1. Eat the exact same amount of carbs with every meal. I would need to know your age, height, and weight before I could make a recommendation.
2. Document everything you eat. As you test, keep track of the specific foods that seem to make your glucose levels rise, and avoid those foods.
3. East 5 or 6 equal meals spaced out evenly throughout the day.
4. ALWAYS eat protein with your carbs. In otherwords, never eat an all-carb snack, like an apple or crackers, without also having protein with it.
5. Avoid the obvious problematic carbs - refined sugar and flour and anything made with them (cake, cookies, store-bought bread, most crackers, pasta). Stick with natural carbs like beans, potatoes, brown rice, veggies, and low-sugar fruit (apples, strawberries, blueberries are best). Even so, refer to #2 with these foods.
5. Excercise in small amounts throughout the day rather than one long workout. Better to take three 15-minute walks than one long one (at least early on). This is just for purposes of maintaining a steady glucose level.
6. Avoid drinking your calories (milk, juice, etc). Stick with water wherever possible.

This strategy is a temporary one, just so you can gain control and balance. This will strengthen your metabolism and restore liver health, which will ultimately lead to better glucose control.

Closed Thread