It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2005, 05:21 PM   #1
Inactive

JacquelineL HB User
Glucose control solution (One Touch Ultra)

I have only used it a few times and it always fell within an acceptable range. I sent a prescription to my mail order supplier asking for 8 ml (2x4 ml pack). I found out that they are sending me six packs rather than one since the prescription said "90 day supply" and I am obliged to pay for them. When I asked for an explanation, they said that the "directive" called for 6 packs for 90 days. I am confused since it seems that one of the 4 ml vials would probably last me 90 days testing 3 times a day and opening one container of 25 strips a week. Am I missing something. Can someone possibly use 48 ml in 90 days?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2005, 06:36 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Printcrafter HB User
Re: Glucose control solution (One Touch Ultra)

I use Freestyle strips and solution, but it too comes in 4ml bottles. I faithfully use it every time I open a new vial of test strips. I've never used up a vial before it goes "bad;" 90 days after opening. My test strips come 50 per pack, but I'm a pump user so I test a lot (10 times per day on average). Seems to me like they are sending you way, way too much. Unopened, the stuff should last pretty well--about two years--but check the date on the bottle. If they won't budge, and if you can order the solution seperate from the strips you at least have a "life-time" supply. ;-)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2005, 07:45 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

blondy2061h HB User

I have never paid for control solution. I've just called customer care and they have sent it to me. This was with Therasense.

Old 04-28-2005, 08:43 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

whackedback HB Userwhackedback HB Userwhackedback HB User

I'm curious as to how much they charged you. I recently has to order a new bottle of the control solution myself for my One Touch Ultra. I ordered from a big on-line bookstore since they carry this stuff now, and got a pack of two 4 ml bottles for 7 bucks.

I agree that one test strip per box bottle should be checked. Those things cost too much to use on verification.

whackedback

Old 04-28-2005, 01:39 PM   #5
Inactive

JacquelineL HB User

I get my supplies through a company plan. Usually I only have a copay and it is shipped free. I paid $6 per box of two vials, which is their cost, so I am not out a lot of money. I checked the "Bookstore's" price and see they want $8 plus $5 for shipping. Unless it is included with other items for free shipping, that is pretty hefty for something that only weighs a few ounces.

Maybe I can find someone who can use my extra control solution.

Old 04-28-2005, 01:57 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

JL -

I also found it at my local Walgreen's Drugstore for a dollar more. But I did order some books at the time I was getting the Control solution, so the shipping was free.

whackedback

Old 05-02-2005, 01:29 AM   #7
(male)

RavenShield HB User

So it is important to use the GCS (glucose control solution dah). For every strip vial you open?

Old 05-02-2005, 10:50 AM   #8
Inactive

JacquelineL HB User

I would be interested in knowing how many users have ever found that strips registered out of range. Since there is a 15-20% innacuracy in the monitor readings anyway, and how do you know that it isn't the monitor itself causing the problem, or even something else. I have not used them for a year and the readings I get seem to be in line with other readings I get for similar meals---remembering that there is a 15-20% accuracy range anyway. I have noticed no difference in vials of strips.

I did decide to check with control solution when my last A1c test seemed higher than it should compared to the readings I was seeing on my monitor. I had used a different lab, so maybe that was the reason. The strips were within the accepted range.

I have my doubts about the control solution.

Old 05-02-2005, 01:07 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

I agree JL -

The control range on my bottle of strips numbered "9" is from 99 to 135. That's quite a range. I've been a good little scout and checked one strip from each bottle as I opened it, and they have been in range.

I bought one of those ChoiceDM home A1C testers and plan to see what it says this weekend.

whackedback

Closed Thread