It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2005, 05:50 AM   #1
(female)

KatakaNiki HB User
Byetta update

Hello everyone,

Well I went back to my doc after being on Byetta for 1 month. My A1c went down from 6.8 to 6.5 and I lost 4 pounds! I am ecstatic. She increased my dose from the 5 mg twice a day to 10 mg twice a day. I guess 5 mg is a very low dose. So far I am very pleased with this new drug. I hope that it doesn't quit working. As far as the weight goes, I don't feel the constant hunger and sugar cravings as I did from insulin, and I am able to stay on my diet plan now. I am not experiencing any side effects so far.

Kat

Old 07-05-2005, 10:31 AM   #2
(male)

parmerbook HB User
Re: Byetta update

Hi kat,

Does this mean tyhat you're off Insulin? I didn't think that Byetta was a substitute for insulin.

Refards,

Jer
++++++++++++++
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatakaNiki
Hello everyone,

Well I went back to my doc after being on Byetta for 1 month. My A1c went down from 6.8 to 6.5 and I lost 4 pounds! I am ecstatic. She increased my dose from the 5 mg twice a day to 10 mg twice a day. I guess 5 mg is a very low dose. So far I am very pleased with this new drug. I hope that it doesn't quit working. As far as the weight goes, I don't feel the constant hunger and sugar cravings as I did from insulin, and I am able to stay on my diet plan now. I am not experiencing any side effects so far.

Kat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2005, 09:01 PM   #3
(female)

KatakaNiki HB User

Hi Jer,

I am still taking Lantus in the evening. My doc said to be careful and maybe cut back on the Lantus because it might cause me to go low while using the Byetta. So far lows have not been a problem for me, so I am going to continue it. Yes, Byetta is not a substitute for insulin and is not for type 1s.

Kat

Old 07-12-2005, 05:45 AM   #4
(female)

debbie_w_80634 HB User

Kat- QUESTION: Is that Byetta Exenatide? My doctor just suggested this to me and called it 'lizard spit' and he's really excited about it. It's a shot isn't it? My problem is the cost...$200 a month. Does you insurance cover it?

P.S. I'm glad it's working for you so well. Debbie

Old 07-12-2005, 06:29 AM   #5
(female)

jedboy_11 HB User

I have been taking Byetta for about a week, so I don't have informed results to post. My response is to the insurance question.

My MD gave me a Byetta starter kit, consisting of low (5 mg) dose for 30 days, an explanatory booklet, and a video. This was completely free of charge, but I paid for the office visit. I go back in 30 days for evaluation, and if I stay on Byetta I get coupons for 2 more 1-month prescriptions that are free. I guess I am to give these coupons to the pharmacy (I don't have the coupons yet, but I saw them stuck inside my file); maybe I'm supposed to mail them to the drug company for rebate. I don't know yet.

But at any rate, the first 90 days of Byetta are free, so you will know if it is beneficial for you before you have to start paying for it. I expect that my insurance will cover it because it covers other diabetes prescriptions.

Old 01-11-2007, 12:09 PM   #6
(male)

NOTCH9 HB User

Just Spoke With Cigna, Byetta Is Such A New Drug That It Will Cost Me $50/month Until A Generic Is Available.

Old 01-12-2007, 09:14 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

SusanGene HB User

My husband stopped byetta after the second day of severe vomiting.
Nausea at first is a side effect but the dr said vomiting was only in one per cent of users.
His numbers range from 130 to 210 and he's 65.
So he was put on ACTOS and I have never read more negative side effects on any drug in my life. And that worries us. But Glucophage wasn't working.
He refuses to exercise.
We went to a dietician and she asked if he could give up his eight ounces of orange juice. It was often more. She said to buy Orange Sunrise in those little cups instead. To my surprise he is drinking it. He (this will be hard to believe) had been drinking SIX (6) sodas per day forever. I do not know if this made him have diabetes at 59 or if it's because his father had it.
Now he's taking DBcare, a set of glucose lowering herbs from India, the main one being bitter melon. His nighttime urination has gone from 5-6 times a night to one. He also is taking Amaryl but that never affected his urination. He said he's not thirsty anymore and I said soda pop has a lot of salt, and that makes you thirsty.
It is a stressful way to live.

Old 01-12-2007, 09:16 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

SusanGene HB User

My husband stopped byetta after the second day of severe vomiting.
Nausea at first is a side effect but the dr said vomiting was only in one per cent of users.
His numbers range from 130 to 210 and he's 65.
So he was put on ACTOS and I have never read more negative side effects on any drug in my life. And that worries us. But Glucophage wasn't working.
He refuses to exercise.
We went to a dietician and she asked if he could give up his eight ounces of orange juice. It was often more. She said to buy Orange Sunrise in those little cups instead. To my surprise he is drinking it. He (this will be hard to believe) had been drinking SIX (6) sodas per day forever. I do not know if this made him have diabetes at 59 or if it's because his father had it.
Now he's taking DBcare, a set of glucose lowering herbs from India, the main one being bitter melon. His nighttime urination has gone from 5-6 times a night to one. He also is taking Amaryl but that never affected his urination. He said he's not thirsty anymore and I said soda pop has a lot of salt, and that makes you thirsty.
It is a stressful way to live.

Old 01-22-2007, 07:52 PM   #9
(female)

kicknit2 HB User

If he isn't thirsty anymore, it likely means his blood sugar is in better contol. Frequent urination is also a symptom of poorly controlled diabetes, so it appears he's controlling his diabetes much better.

Old 01-22-2007, 08:39 PM   #10
(female)

Lagunasunset HB User

[QUOTE=KatakaNiki;1784622]Hello everyone,

Well I went back to my doc after being on Byetta for 1 month. My A1c went down from 6.8 to 6.5 and I lost 4 pounds! I am ecstatic.

Hi,

I am on Byetta 5 mcgs. I was unable to move to the 10 because it made me so sick to my stomach. I would have vomited but I took phenergan to stop the nausea. I was on the 10 for a little over a month and I thought I was gonna die. My blood sugars were dropping to 60 and 50s. I hope you do better than me! My husband is on the 10 and he is doing great. He too has lost 4 pounds and on his first month of 10.

Anyway, I am doing great on 5. My A1C was 5.7 last week. I have been on the Byetta for like 5 months and I have lost almost 30 pounds. My doc says it's fine to stay on the 5 if it works. I don't take any other diabetic meds. I think it is a miracle drug even if it is lizard spit!

Last edited by Lagunasunset; 01-22-2007 at 08:44 PM. Reason: forgot my text

Closed Thread