It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2005, 06:49 PM   #1

luckyotoole HB User
What is a low blood sugar reading

What is considered low blood sugar. I swear I feel shaky at 80. I have never been diagnosed with either diabetes or hypoglycemia but decided to buy a blood sugar meter to just see what it is when I get that shakey feeling. It's about 80 or 85 and then I eat and it goes to about 105...then slowly goes back down to 85 or 90. I've poked my finger so many times to see what the heck is wrong with me. I hate that shakey feeling but I have never seen my b/s go below 80.

Old 07-15-2005, 07:30 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

almonkey HB User
Re: What is a low blood sugar reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyotoole
What is considered low blood sugar. I swear I feel shaky at 80. I have never been diagnosed with either diabetes or hypoglycemia but decided to buy a blood sugar meter to just see what it is when I get that shakey feeling. It's about 80 or 85 and then I eat and it goes to about 105...then slowly goes back down to 85 or 90. I've poked my finger so many times to see what the heck is wrong with me. I hate that shakey feeling but I have never seen my b/s go below 80.
Goals for diabetics are fasting blood sugars are between 70-110

2 hrs after meals under 140...

Have you checked your blood sugar 2 hrs after a meal? Do you notice if you are shaky after certain meals? Sometimes large carbohydrate meals cause extra insulin production and then lower blood sugars because of the over production. Ive only heard of being shaky at 80 when someone is use to being high...above 150s...Are you on any meds that maybe causing the shakes? I say tell your doc your symptoms and go from there.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2005, 08:19 PM   #3

luckyotoole HB User

Well I do suffer from Panic Attacks. I know that my doctor will just think that is what it is. I've never been diagnosed with diabetes or hypoglycemic. Just hypochondria-ism I feel shakey when I exercise and don't eat or when I'm in the heat it seems. I can't figure it out. My blood sugar has never been higher than 115 (after eating) and never lower than 80.

Old 07-15-2005, 08:22 PM   #4

luckyotoole HB User

okay I just took it again and i haven't eaten in 2 hours and it's 98. why does it keep going down after I don't eat? It's scaring me.

Old 07-15-2005, 08:27 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

almonkey HB User

When you put food in your mouth your pancreas kicks into gear...Insulin is produced to take the "sugar" from you blood stream to the cells. Sounds like your pancreas is working GREAT! Dont stress! 98 is absolutely normal...the numbers I described are for diagnosed diabetics. Try taking 3 slow deep breaths when you feel like that...who knows maybe that will help! good luck.

Old 07-15-2005, 08:58 PM   #6

luckyotoole HB User

Okay one more question though...what about being 80 after not eating? Is that hypoglycemia?

Old 07-15-2005, 08:59 PM   #7

luckyotoole HB User

okay one more question (sorry!!!) ..what about it being 80 after not eating for a couple of hours? Is this normal? Or does that make me a hypglycemic?

Old 07-16-2005, 05:49 AM   #8
(female)

Linda1629 HB User

Eighty is normal. That's a good number to have if you haven't eaten. I agree with the other person who said that you may be eating heavy carbs or too sugary foods. They will make you feel shakey. When you do feel shakey, try having some whole wheat breat with a little peanut butter and sit for a minute. It will pass but be patient. Don't grab a soda or some other sugary thing, it will work for the moment but then you'll get shakey again later. It used to happen to me all the time and I'm not diabetic. I was just overweight with a really bad diet. If I even attempted to exercise, I'd get shakey and have to reach for something sugary. That's why it's so hard for people to lose weight, it really takes a physical toll on you. I don't know if that's your problem but your numbers sound perfectly normal. Just be careful what you reach for when you get shakey. Try to stick to complex carbs and not a lot of them. Something with 20-25 carbs is good, and stay away from the sugars! Hope this helps.

Old 07-16-2005, 07:39 AM   #9

luckyotoole HB User

That really does help me! Thanks. I have always thought there had to be something medically wrong with me.....I guess that's just your body's way of telling you "time to eat and eat right". Thanks very much

Closed Thread