It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2005, 06:49 PM   #1
(female)

CynAnn HB User
Hubby's AM numbers high....eating apples?

Hi!!!

Well, my husband's BS reading has went from 175 first thing in the morning to 148. <much better> but we are trying to get it down to at least 110. Does anyone know if eating apples can rise your blood sugar??? I'm curious and checking all avenues. Thanks!!!!

Last edited by CynAnn; 07-22-2005 at 06:54 PM.

Old 07-22-2005, 07:01 PM   #2
(male)

Man of Iron HB User
Re: Hubby's AM numbers high....eating apples?

The GI Diet by Rick Gallop highly recommends them as "a real staple", I eat about two to three a day @ snacktime and lunch. If I'm eating one past 9PM I'll slice it up and sprinkle it with cinnamon which tends to lower BS readings.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2005, 07:02 PM   #3
(female)

Kiyuri07 HB User

I believe apples do have a little sugar in them. You may check out a health food website though, to make sure =)

Old 07-22-2005, 07:09 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

almonkey HB User

Apples are a carb but a good one. The absorption of the carb is slower than things like bread, crackers, etc. I would say have him cut out all bread pasta and potatoes from dinner and see if that doesnt bring it down! If he is taking insulin than have him cut them in half first.

Old 07-22-2005, 07:18 PM   #5
(female)

CynAnn HB User

GOOD ADVICE!!!! I have read about the cinnamon bringing BS down and never thought to have him sprinkle some on the apples. He LOVES them, always has and eats 2-3 a day!

He isnt on insulin, hes T2 and we have totally cut out white rice, bread and pasta.

Got a diabetic newsletter stating keep meals 1/4 meat, 1/4 carb and 1/2 veggies so we are doing that.

Hes been on meds for a month now and goes back to the Doc next Tuesday and I would love to see his morning number lower before he sees the Doc again.

Thanks again!!!

Old 07-22-2005, 07:37 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

almonkey HB User

Is he exercising at all? Even a 20 minute walk after dinner will really help! Do you know what his pre-dinner blood sugars are? If he tests at random times (sometimes before a meal, sometimes 2 hrs after you will be able to see how his food and his medicine works. You and your doc will also know whether or not his issues are being addressed. What I mean is sometimes people only test fastings and are doing great but when you look at a1c it is higher than it should be...thats because the ppgs (after meal) sugars are high. In fact, T2s usually loose their 1st phase insulin response and hence after meals, numbers are higher than they should be...they should be under 140 at 2hrs...people w/out diabetes are usually under 120.

Old 07-23-2005, 05:04 AM   #7
(female)

CynAnn HB User

Yes, he exercises daily, hes a foremen for huge construction sites such as Walmarts, Belks, Condos, etc. He has to walk and walk all day and also hard labor, so, he gets plenty of exercise.

Hes lost about 5 pounds since we started the diabetic life style.

Hes morning number is high, mid-day before dinner is ususally 110, 105, etc, (always under 120)

His reading after dinner (2 hours after eating) is usually around 128, 132, (always under 140)

And at bedtime it's about the same. 120-132

BUT! in the mornings it runs 188, 175.

For a few days it was 148, 145 and this morning it was 182!!!! eek!!!!!

His A1C was 8.9 a while back and at his last appt. it was 7.8.

Thank you for all your help!
--Cyn

Last edited by CynAnn; 07-23-2005 at 05:07 AM.

Old 07-23-2005, 06:12 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

almonkey HB User

Unfortunately that does not constitue the exercise I'm talking about. He lives a very active lifestyle which is great but exercise needs to break a threshhold...Something the body doesnt normally do. A 20 minute fast walk, a fast bicycle ride, something that gets his juices flowing. Im not doubting his job is demanding physically but because he always does it, the body gets used to it. For the same reason that athletes must "cross train" he needs to do something different...Dont get me wrong, I think its fabulous that he is so active, probably in good shape, and strong but to really get his juices flowing and make everything in the body work better he needs something to challenge him a little. Sedantary people can just start walking and it makes a difference, he has to go a step farther because he is already active. Even lifting weights for 1/2 an hr...Something that makes his heart rate rise for 20 minutes.

His a1c dropping to 7.8 is great but he still needs to get to under 7...Im sure he will get there being determined and having your help!

It could be the night hormones that are not helping w/ the high morning numbers. Does he eat a evening snack? Sometimes eating a snack can help so the liver doesnt feel the need to produce sugar in the middle of the night. He should try a evening/bedtime snack to see if that helps w/ the am numbers and let us know.

The evening snack could be sliced apples (some suggest sprinkle w/ cinnamon), celery w/ peanut butter, or even some cheese. Just something so the liver wont kick in some extra glugagon- which is sugar. Good luck. Its really awesome you both are taking this disease seriously and willing to make modifications so you can get it and keep it in control!

Old 07-23-2005, 11:31 AM   #9
(female)

CynAnn HB User

You are so right! I recall -a few years back- my Doc telling me the same thing in regards to exercise.... when she asked if I was exercising, I told her yes! housework, baby-sitting a 4 year old, planting flowers, etc. and she laughed and said the same thing you explained. I had forgotten about that until now. That makes perfect sense!

We love to walk and will add that to our daily routine as an added bonus, also starting tonight I will suggest the evening snack, he will like that, he has a hardy appitite as do I! and celery with peanut butter is one of our favorites. Also apples!!!!

Thank you so much for sheding some light on the issues. This forum and the support from wonderful people is great!

Old 07-23-2005, 09:36 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

WannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB User

Hi CynAnn,

Make sure that the carbs he eats are complex carbs. Like 100% whole wheat (with a fiber or 2 mg or more) or whole grain. Oatmeal is really good. You need to get a book - if you do not already have one - that lists the vitamins, calories, and all the other things that food is made up of. My husband has one and we can look up any food and find out what is better to eat for what kind of illness or condition.

Hope he gets his levels down more. That will also make him feel better.

Take care. Wannabe

Old 07-23-2005, 10:47 PM   #11
(male)

Man of Iron HB User

Hi CynAnn,

I too work in construction & get different levels of exercise depending on each project that I work on. Last week my wife bought me a Omron pedometer for about $10. I clip it on in the AM before leaving the house and it records every step I take and calculates regular steps vs aerobic steps, kcals burned, miles walked, etc. It stores info for seven days & resets itself to zero @ midnight so each morning it's ready to go. All you got to do is clip it on your belt.

They recommend leaving it on all day until bedtime but I take it off around 4PM and put it back on if I take an evening walk. I kinda feel between 4PM & bedtime is my down time anyways & not "real" exercise and chose not to record then.

I record all my glucose readings & now my pedometer data on software from my OneTouch Ultra. There's a 10,000 steps / day program recommended by some national group (American Heart Association?) so I adopted that as my initial goal.

Here's my record to date:

Saturday = 14,955 steps, 40 min aerobic, 783 kcals, 7.08 total miles. (This from an evening out walking with my wife on the town - no daytime readings before 6PM).

Friday, oops I forgot to clip it on until noon so I decided not to record a partial day.

Thursday = 13,751 steps, 0 minutes aerobic, 664 kcals, 6.51 total miles.

Wednesday = 27,874 steps, 89 minutes aerobic, 1427 kcals, 13.19 total miles.

Tuesday = 17,368 steps, 0 minutes aerobic, 844 kcals, 8.22 total miles.

Monday = purchased meter for $10.00.

So it looks like I'll usually make the 10,000 steps / day goal @ work but as others pointed out my body (& no doubt your husband's too) doesn't even sense that as exercise. My goal therefore is to spend 60 minutes walking fast enough & constant enough to be recorded as aerobic type walking.

Closed Thread