It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2005, 12:23 PM   #1

msrosie HB User
Reaction to Insulin?

This has happened twice now, the first time was about 3 weeks ago, the second time was last night. Within a minute or two of injecting NPH insulin, I got a hot flush all over my body, starting in my toes and working up. Last night, it also included a *****ling feeling in my upper legs and upper arms, but not the first time. Next was a feeling that my head was going to explode, then shortness of breath and rapid breathing. This lasted for about 2 minutes then began to subside. Finally, I got shooting pains all across my lower back and my collarbone. The total time for the episode last night was about 5 to 6 mins. I didn't time the first one. I didn't notice the first time, but last night when I did the injection, there was blood at the site, which I find happens frequently. I inject in the abdomen. Could I be developing an allergy to the insulin? I've been on it for almost 6 years, and the only trouble I've had is sometimes I get swelling at the injection site with the NPH only, not the Regular. There was no such swelling last night. Any ideas? I have a doctor's appt. Friday but am almost terrified to take it in the meantime because last night's reaction was more severe than the first one. TIA,

Rosie

Old 07-23-2005, 01:07 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

almonkey HB User
Re: Reaction to Insulin?

You take NPH 2 xs a day for 6 years and twice in 3 weeks you have had some weird things going on? Is it the same vial of NPH? Do you have any other symptoms? Is there any pain at the site? Im not sure that the NPH is causing these symptoms. I would definitely report them but 2 xs out of 42 (NPH 2xs a day x 3 weeks) I think its probably something else. Do you have any other health issues this might be related to?

NPH insulin is an insulin with an intermediate duration of action. It has an onset of action starting about 2 hours following injection. It has a peak effect 4-12 hours after injection, and a duration of action of 18-26 hours.

I would think an allergy would show up w/ a rash and other things...not a 5-6 minute incident. sorry but I dont think its your insulin.

Last edited by almonkey; 07-23-2005 at 01:12 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2005, 03:09 PM   #3
(female)

Roxx HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by almonkey
I would think an allergy would show up w/ a rash and other things...not a 5-6 minute incident. sorry but I dont think its your insulin.
With all due respect, don't be so sure. Allergies can flare at any time for anyone, no matter if they've previously had NO ALLERGIC REACTION to a substance, be it natural or synthetic. I ate strawberries all my life, no problem, then one day I ate some strawberries and nearly died from severe allergic reaction. Since then I can't even be around that fruit without having symptoms.

Get checked out to see if you could be allergic to your insulin. It could be a potentially serious situation and may be worsening with time and exposure to the offending substance.

Roxanne

Old 07-23-2005, 03:22 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

almonkey HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxx
With all due respect, don't be so sure. Allergies can flare at any time for anyone, no matter if they've previously had NO ALLERGIC REACTION to a substance, be it natural or synthetic. I ate strawberries all my life, no problem, then one day I ate some strawberries and nearly died from severe allergic reaction. Since then I can't even be around that fruit without having symptoms.

Get checked out to see if you could be allergic to your insulin. It could be a potentially serious situation and may be worsening with time and exposure to the offending substance.

Roxanne
I know exactly what you are saying Roxanne, but do you eat strawberries every day, twice a day and 1 out of 42 times have a 5-6 min incident that has no lasting effects? Once you became allergic you are now always allergic right? Im not saying absolutely positively its not an allergy, Im just saying it would surprise me that an injection of insulin that lasts in the system for over 12hrs....and takes 2 hrs to start working/start be absorbed...would cause an immediate reaction as she described 2 xs in 3 weeks of injecting...

Old 07-23-2005, 03:31 PM   #5

msrosie HB User

How else would you explain the reactions ONLY happening IMMEDIATELY after injecting insulin? I'm sorry, but I find your response insulting and potentially dangerous.

Last edited by msrosie; 07-23-2005 at 03:31 PM.

Old 07-23-2005, 11:09 PM   #6
(female)

Roxx HB User

[QUOTE=almonkey]I know exactly what you are saying Roxanne, but do you eat strawberries every day, twice a day and 1 out of 42 times have a 5-6 min incident that has no lasting effects? Once you became allergic you are now always allergic right? QUOTE]

I tried to post this earlier and had a "server problem" so please forgive if this shows up as a double post.

No, I did not eat strawberries twice a day or every day, for that matter. As I think back now on the "strawberry incident," I believe I was in error saying that I had eaten them previously with no problems. I do recall a couple times when I ate them, I had a rash and swelling around my mouth and eyes before the big allergic reaction. I believe I was slowly becoming sensitized to the berries and my body reacted finally with an extreme allergy. Yes, MOST of the time when you become allergic to something, you are indeed allergic always. I say MOST of the time because I am also allergic to cats but I love them and had one for over twenty years. When I first got my cat I was extremely allergic but over time I built up an immunity to him, thank goodness, so I was able to be with him and not suffer with allergy symptoms. However, if I was away from him for even a few days, I had to get my immunity built back up when I returned home.

Rosie, I don't mean to make you any more fearful than you are but I would be concerned about what happened, too. It would scare me as well. Does your doctor have an on-call or answering service that you could contact over the weekend? A hot flush all over your body can certainly be indicative of an allergic reaction as can shortness of breath and rapid breathing. Also swelling at the injection site sounds suspicious. I won't even pretend to know much about insulin because I don't take it (as of yet and I hope not for a verrrry long time but I do have a neighbor who is insulin dependent and she had sensitivity issues to some brands/types of insulin so I guess it can happen. She is now on a completely different treatment regime and doing wonderfully. Good luck to you.....Roxanne

Old 07-26-2005, 03:43 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

almonkey HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrosie
How else would you explain the reactions ONLY happening IMMEDIATELY after injecting insulin? I'm sorry, but I find your response insulting and potentially dangerous.
I had to confirm something before I posted again since you wrote the above... and since I didnt want to be insulting or potentially dangerous I re-confirmed what I already thought regarding recombinant insulin- and so I wanted to clarify another reason why I dont think it is your insulin that is causing that reaction....

IF your R and NPH are the same brand- meaning both are Novolin or both are Humilin than they are made the exact same way and have the same ingredients. (Both insulins of the same brand are made from either an ecoli cell-Humilin or a bakers yeast cell- Novolin...they change the protein chain by a molecule or 2 and that makes insulin) The only difference in the two are that NPH has a protomine suspension- so it is absorbed slower! In essence what this means that if you had the reaction to NPH than you should also have a reaction to the R since they contain the same ingredients...if they are the same brand...
Are they the same brand? What has your doc said? Please keep us posted.

Last edited by almonkey; 07-26-2005 at 04:09 PM.

Closed Thread