It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2005, 01:40 AM   #1
(female)

helenlo HB User
Does insulin make you feel sick?

Hi all,

I've got another question sorry

I started on insulin Monday for the gestastional diabetes. I'm only on tiny amounts at the moment and have to ring on Friday to see if i need to have it upped.

I'm on Novorapid 3 times a day, 4 units at breakfast, 2 at lunch and 2 at dinner. My lunch and dinner sugars have never been that high anyway. My breakfast ones are still a bit high at 173 so will probably need more.

The thing is, i have started to feel sick after i have eaten. Could this be the insulin, and will it subside? or is it something i will just get used to?

Thanks
Helen

The Following User Says Thank You to helenlo For This Useful Post:
albabitt3 (02-18-2012)
Old 07-27-2005, 04:36 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

almonkey HB User
Re: Does insulin make you feel sick?

NovoRapid which is Novolog in the US does not list nauseasness as a side effect. I would mention it to your doc but understand that the insulin you are taking is made recombinantly from a baker's yeast cell. They change 1 amino acid at the B28 and it makes this insulin to be the exact form you make in your body. If you have any allergy to baker's yeast then you could have some type of allergy which is usually seen as a rash, pain at injection site, swelling etc. Humalog is also made recombinantly starting with a cell of e-coli. They change 2 amino acids and make insulin. Neither lists stomach upset/feeling sick etc. as a side effect however it would be wise to mention this to your doc. When you are feeling sick, have you tested your blood sugar? Sometimes feeling sick can be a sign of low blood sugar. Are you taking your insulin with the meal? Since its a rapid acting insulin it begins working w/in 15 minutes.

Because treating diabetes is more of an art than a science, you typically need to ask a ton of questions, check blood sugars, compare things and be willing to be flexible....Good health to you and a happy healthy baby!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2005, 01:43 AM   #3
(female)

helenlo HB User
Re: Does insulin make you feel sick?

Thanks

You're right, it's a real learning curve...

Helen x

Closed Thread