It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2005, 09:16 AM   #1
(female)

Kiyuri07 HB User
Healthy snacks to eat while @ school?

I'll be headed to college again in a week, and since I'm there for atleast 5 or so hours, I need to bring something along to eat. Before, I'd take chips, snack bars, etc. But now, since I may be hypoglycemic - I need something that's NO sugar, high in protein, and low in carbs. Maybe even have a little fiber. Have any ideas??

Old 08-08-2005, 12:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: Healthy snacks to eat while @ school?

There are some "trail mixes" that are mostly nuts with some dried cranberries and raisins added, but no other fruits or chocolate, and I find these to be an excellent snack. In order to avoid eating too much, I pre-measure single servings and pack them in those snack-sized baggies. They don't have to be refrigerated and, because of the fats in the nuts, they keep your blood glucose level for quite a while.

I also use the pre-packaged peanut butter crackers. There's a brand available in supermarkets here called "Austin", and they come in both 4-packs and 6-packs. The 4-pack is just 15 g of carbs, but here again, the peanut butter has enough fat to keep your glucose level for several hours.

Ruth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2005, 04:23 PM   #3
(female)

Kiyuri07 HB User

Oo, sounds great! Thanks alot. =D I'll go buy some right away.

Old 08-09-2005, 05:04 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

almonkey HB User

Carrots & Celery w/ peanut butter, hard boiled eggs, string cheese, apples, even low carb/high protein bars. Watch the trail mix, sometimes the serving size is really small for 15 carbs and the crackers would make havoc on my low feelings because of the crackers....Watch the serving size on those too...15 carbs can be for just 2 of the 4 crackers. Sticking w/ fruits & veggies is WAY better for you!

Old 08-11-2005, 07:08 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Almonkey,
The crackers I recommended are 15g for 4 crackers (actually, 8 crackers, 4 sandwiches), and they have peanut butter, which slows the absorption. The reason I recommended them is that, for me at least, they're filling, stay with me, and don't shoot my sugar levels way up. The trail mix I recommended is only7 15g for 1/4 cup, and that's why I suggested pre-bagging it, measuring out 1/4 C servings.

Another thing that's good is Quaker Q-Smart bars (not their regular breakfast bars). They've only got 9g of carb in each bar, and they also stay with you.

Ruth

Old 08-11-2005, 07:09 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Almonkey,
The crackers I recommended are 15g for 4 crackers (actually, 8 crackers, 4 sandwiches), and they have peanut butter, which slows the absorption. The reason I recommended them is that, for me at least, they're filling, stay with me, and don't shoot my sugar levels way up. The trail mix I recommended is only 15g for 1/4 cup, and that's why I suggested pre-bagging it, measuring out 1/4 C servings.

Another thing that's good is Quaker Q-Smart bars (not their regular breakfast bars). They've only got 9g of carb in each bar, and they also stay with you.

Ruth

Old 08-12-2005, 07:05 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

almonkey HB User

SamKitty I hear you. But wouldnt you agree that fruits and veggies are better for the body than processed foods like crackers and bars. We have so many preservatives in our processed foods......I was simply suggesting she should just becareful. The crackers would wack out my blood sugars, peanut butter or not, so I just wanted to make sure she was careful and if she does see high sugars from that, she will know why. I wasnt saying you are wrong, just giving alternatives and the reasons.

Old 08-12-2005, 07:18 PM   #8
(female)

schmoo47 HB User

I have a question on how peanut butter slows absorption rate. Do you mean it slows down the rate in which your body absorbs the carbs you eat. I love peanut butter and eat peanut butter and toast as a snack. I am prediabetic, no meds, and am wondering if eating the peanut butter helps control my BS.
Thanks.

Old 08-12-2005, 07:27 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

almonkey HB User

Fats and foods containing fatty acids can slow the absorption rate of the carb. For instance, olive oil on bread helps slow the carb absorption, peanut butter helps slow the absorption of the carbs from the crackers. You have to try it. Some people are really sensitive to carbs and nothing slows a refined carb down....but many people have had luck w/ something like peanut butter or olive oil. Its part of slowing the digestion/absorption.

Old 08-14-2005, 08:48 AM   #10
(male)

Man of Iron HB User

I'm with Almonkey here, the veggies, etc sound good. I tend to prefer almonds instead of a trail mix. Apples are an absolute must for me, grapefruits too.

I make my own granola bars that at first seemed fairly awful but I haven't had any in two weeks and kinda miss them.

I strongly recommend Glucerna bars which are made specifically for diabetics. They come as meal bars, snack bars, or bite size. They are fairly expensive (about $1.25 each) but they are better than standard snack bars as they help control blood sugar over several hours. I started off with the meal bars but now just have one or two bite size bars with an apple for a snack. Walmart & Walgreens both sell them.

Tons of water!

The other thing to consider before snacking is a great breakfast. Don't skip it no matter what, I think it's the most important meal of the day.

Old 08-15-2005, 01:56 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Al,
I agree that fruits and veggies would be ideal, but for someone going to college, who is probably running from place to place, class to class, lugging backpacks, notebook computer, etc., fruits and veggies may not work. They may not be enough to sustain her AND she may not have a way to transport them and keep them cool without them getting squished. That's why I recommended the snacks I did.

Of course, fruits and veggies would be great if she can do that, perhaps along with some cheese to keep her bgs stable for a longer period of time.

Ruth

Old 08-15-2005, 01:59 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

MOI,
Okay...here's why there's no "one size fits all" prescription for managing diabetes...Glucerna bars make my blood sugar go way up! Who would've thunk it, lol. The Quaker Qbars work much better for me.

Ruth

Old 08-16-2005, 07:29 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

almonkey HB User

I agree w/ Sam Kitty about the glucerna bars...Although they say they are for diabetics, they are really too high in carbs for most people. Unfortunately food companies can "market" anything almost anyway they want. I'd stay away from them especially if you have a tendency to go high from refined carbs.

Old 08-17-2005, 10:48 AM   #14
(female)

iluveeyore HB User

It is all trail and error, I would recommend the snack crackers with peanut butter because it is simple, protable, and light. As for the granola bars, do not eat those unless you have an afternoon off to eat one and THEN test your blood sugar, those Glucerna bars shot my blood sugar up so fast it was scary, and I only had one

Old 08-17-2005, 07:58 PM   #15
(male)

Man of Iron HB User

Hi Everyone,

I hear what you mean!

I hope it's ok to post some info here about various bars:

Glucerna Meal Bar (Chocolate Chunk)- (58g)
Calories Total 210
Total Fat 6g
Saturated Fat 4.5g
Cholesterol <5 mg
Sodium 85 mg
Potassium 210 mg
Total Carbohydrate 34g
Dietary fiber 2 g
Sugars 10g
Sugar Alcohol 7g
Protein 10 g

Glucerna Snack Bar (Caramel Nut) - (40g)
Calories Total 150
Total Fat 5g
Saturated Fat 3g
Cholesterol <5 mg
Sodium 110 mg
Potassium 180 mg
Total Carbohydrate 23g
Dietary fiber 2 g
Sugars 5 g
Sugar alcohol 7g
Protein 7g

Glucerna Snack Bites (Chocolate Peanut) - (20g)
Calories 80
Total Fat 2.5g
Saturated Fat 1g
Cholesterol <5mg
Sodium 60mg
Potassium 50 mg
Total Carbs 12g
Dietary Fiber <1g
Sugars 4g
Sugar Alcohol 3g
Protein 4g

South Beach Breakfast Bar (High Protein Cereal Bar, Chocolate) 58g
Calories 140
Total Fat 5 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 150 mg
Potassium ?
Total Carbohydrates 15g
Dietary Fiber 3g
Sugars 7g
Sugar Alcohol ?
Protein 10 g

Quaker (Graham Bars, Strawberry & Graham) 54g
Calories 130
Total Fat 3.5 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 110 mg
Total Carbohydrates 23 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 8 g
Sugar Alcohol ?
Protein 1 g

Balance Bar (Almond Brownie) -50g
Calories Total 200
Total Fat 6 g
Saturated Fat 1.5 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 190 mg
Potassium 330 mg
Total Carbohydrate 22 g
Dietary fiber 2 g
Sugars 17 g
Protein 14 g

It's important to note that I mean "snack" bar for a snack and not a meal bar. I pretty much never eat a meal bar, almost never. I started out with the snack bars and have since changed to "snack bites" which for me work great while hiking. If I'm really hunger while hiking and my bs is on the low side, I'll have two. The main thing is with the smaller "bite" size bars, bs control is fairly easy for me. For the last couple of weeks I've only have had apples between meals during the workdays.

I do find that on days when I have over indulged in snack bars that I have no weight loss, so as Al said, veggies & fruits are best.

I only put them out there as an option, cuz like we all know everyones different.

Closed Thread