It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2005, 06:20 PM   #1
(male)

mattrules HB User
thirsty alot and urinating alot

Hi, I am a 21 year old male and recently for the last couple of months I find that I am extremely thirsty all the time. It seems like I always have too drink something. I mostly drink tomato juice, water and pepsi. I have just been concerned, because I am drinking more than I ever had it seems like. I am also urinating alot. I seem like I used to urinate 4-5 times a day, now I am double that. I am scared, because I have heard and read these are signs of diabetes. I have no family history of diabetes. It is just a constant thing being thirsty. On some days I go through a gallon of tomato juice and about two 20 ounce pepsi's a day. Is it possible I may not have diabetes but am just really thirsty. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks-matt

Old 08-11-2005, 06:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: thirsty alot and urinating alot

Matt,
The symptoms you describe could be from diabetes, but they could also be from the hot, humid weather we've been having lately.

The best way to check this out is to either go to your doctor and have an A1c and a fasting blood glucose test done, or you could borrow a meter from someone and test your own blood sugar levels. If you get two fasting tests of 100-125, then you're in the range called "impaired glucose tolerance" or "insulin resistance" (they mean the same thing). If you get two fastings of 126 or more, then you're diabetic. If you get any non-fasting readings of over 160, then you're probably diabetic or insulin resistant.

For now, I would immediately stop drinking regular soda, which has a TON of sugar in it. The tomato juice isn't bad if you don't drink too much of it. Stick with diet soda and water until you know for sure whether or not you're diabetic.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2005, 09:22 PM   #3
(male)

mattrules HB User

Hi, thanks for the information. I am just becoming more concerned, because I have been having this thirst problem for a couple of months now even before the weather got hot and humid. With whatever I am doing I am always drinking something. I am also peeing about double what I used too. I really don't notice anyother symptoms, but I do get lightheaded sometimes after I drink pop. I am going too tell my doctor about what is going on, because I want too be on the safe side. Thanks for all the help-matt

Old 08-14-2005, 08:27 AM   #4
(male)

Man of Iron HB User

If you are drinking 2X more than normal, then one should expect to urinate 2X as much imo. I think therefore you should zero in on why your thirst has increased. Sports? Dieting?, drinking alcohol, etc.

Are you also sweating a lot? Have your sleep habits changed?

Watch the caffeine from sodas, coffee, etc. They act as diuretics and tend to dehydrate a person. Caffeine affects the kidneys which then increases urine production and therefore increases loss of water from the body. Perhaps your body is just trying to replenish fluid loss. I would switch to caffeine-free diet sodas or switch to just plain water.

Closed Thread