It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2005, 09:45 AM   #1
Inactive

jcorn59483 HB User
Crestor AND Metformin

Hi, I don't have diabetes but am "borderline" (almost diabetic) and I DO have PCOS, which is a condition related to getting diabetes later in life.

In any case, I have been on Crestor and it has brought down my cholesterol. Now my doc wants to add Metformin and I am a bit anxious about adding another drug which is hard on the liver.

However, I am continuing to gain weight and diet and exercise just aren't working like they used to, probably because I am also in menopause - or that is my doc's opinion.

Anyone been on BOTH drugs at the same time? Thanks!

Old 08-13-2005, 06:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

delrae4753 HB User
Re: Crestor AND Metformin

im on both drugs and all i can tell u is that the metformin i take is for the diabetes and it does cause weight gain in some individuals but i would question as to why the metformin if you are not a diabetic

Last edited by delrae4753; 08-13-2005 at 06:49 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2005, 06:53 PM   #3
Inactive

jcorn59483 HB User

Here is why Metformin is prescribed for those who do not have diabetes. Many women with PCOS, even those of normal weight, have insulin resistance and Metformin allows them to have normal insulin levels.

Also, Metformin is used with infertile women (many of whom have PCOS) as it helps increase fertility levels in those who have insulin resistance. I know it is primarily a diabetes drug but it does have other uses.

Interesting that you GAINED weight. They are hoping I will lose weight.

Old 08-14-2005, 05:54 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

almonkey HB User

Actually metformin is not usually related to weight gain. If you restrict the refined carbs and stick w/ fruits & veggies for your carbs it should help with the weight gain. Also, small amts of food more often. 2-3 hrs. You will be surprised on how you start your body's metabolism in gear from the eating every 2-3 hrs and not eating anything like bread, pasta, potatoes, or anything that comes in a box . I have lost almost 25 lbs since May just doing these things.I thought my metabolism was dead from years of skipping meals and bad food choices. By the way, 1 day a week I allow myself the things I wanted all week. I just have 1/2 the amt of what I would normally eat...By doing this Ive actually shrunk my stomach and so my portion sizes reflect this.

Can I assume you have some stubborn belly fat? Limiting the refined carbs will help get rid of that too. In turn, loosing it will do wonders for your resistance. Good luck.

Last edited by almonkey; 08-14-2005 at 05:55 AM.

Old 08-14-2005, 03:18 PM   #5
(male)

strubenuff HB User

If you have PCOS and it looks like you're on your way towards becoming diabetic, the most important changes you can make now are to your diet and exercise regimen. I'd also strongly recommend getting off Crestor immediately and asking your doctor for another 3 months before considering using metformin (see below).

Dramatically reducing or eliminating grains and sugars from your diet is the first step one should take. Sodas, fruit juices, all fast food, cakes, pies, crèmes, cookies, any non-whole wheat cereals, any the vast majority of other foods most Americans eat every day are wreaking havoc on their bodies and setting the stage for insulin-resistant diabetes. You want to make sure you are eating at a bare minimum six fruits and vegetables every day, but try to avoid corn, potatoes, etc. If possible, purchase them organically (locally grown is usually better than corporately marketed organic food) and eat them raw.

What sort of exercise program are you on? A solid aerobic workout 4-5 days every week and at least 1 session of strength training (weight training) is an almost guaranteed way to shed extra pounds.

Increase your consumption of omega-3 fatty acids via a fish oil or cod liver supplement. The American Heart Association has publicly stated that doing so reduces your risk of heart disease. I also recommend taking flax seed oil or coconut oil or a regular basis as a way to improve diabetic conditions and lower your risk of heart disease.

I have so far convinced 2 people to stop taking their statins, including Crestor. The primary reason for this is that if you follow the three guidelines above, your cholesterol will be within a safe range. The second reason is that cholesterol is by and large something you shouldn’t be worrying about, especially in reference to your risk of coronary problems. I recommend reading The Cholesterol Myths, by Uffe Ravnskov for plenty of research on the subject. The final reason is that statins are non-specific inhibitors of many key enzymes in the body, including coenzyme Q-10, which is directly linked to coronary health. This non-specificity is the reason Crestor causes acute kidney failure, muscle pain, rhabdomyolysis-a severe muscle-wasting disease, weakness, cancer, and an increased risk of infection. Furthermore, there are plenty of studies that document statins do not increase overall mortality or mortality rates associated with heart conditions. You can view one here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_u ids=12479764&dopt=Abstract. There is reason to believe statins do not even lower plaque buildup within the arteries: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_u ids=12888149&dopt=Abstract.

As you could probably tell, I feel the same way about Metformin, not only for the dangerous side effects it poses but because simple changes to diet and exercise are almost always more effective and safer. I would suggest reading the articles posted at: http://www.mercola.com/article/diabetes/dietary_secrets.htm for ways diet can influence diabetes. I would also consider taking a diabetic supplement. Yu Xiao San has significant clinical backing of its results and Diabeticine, while looking like a marketing scheme even to me, has a lot of supporters swearing by it.

Good luck.

Old 08-14-2005, 07:26 PM   #6
Inactive

jcorn59483 HB User

Thank you for your reply. I have steadfastly avoided meds for most of my life but with menopause, nothing I do seems to keep off the weight.

Here are some details I did not mention in my first post and which may explain why I am so frustrated:

1. I exercise vigorously 5-7 times a week, at least 1-2 hours a day.
2. I do not eat refined carbs and limit other carbs
3. I do eat vegetable and fruits, although I avoid fruit juices (I prefer to get the fiber from the fruit). I do focus on lower sugar fruits and lower carb fruits.
4. My thyroid level is low, in spite of thyroid meds
5. I do take cod liver oil and/or fish oil
6. I do take a baby aspirin a day.

In spite of all of this, my cholesterol is high and I have had PCOS nearly all my life (it runs in the family). My mother was 26 when she got her first period. I was 24 and I was already showing symptoms of PCOS.

While I try to avoid meds, the weight is really getting excessive. I have gained 50 pounds in one year and yet I eat no more than I ever did and I always watched my diet. I think my metabolism has gone on holiday.

Old 08-16-2005, 12:56 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

djl HB Userdjl HB Userdjl HB User

Hi JCorn
I have a question. I am 39 and had to have a hyst(everything out but my cervix) this past may due to Adenomyosis and very cystic ovaries. My GP is convinced that I had along with the Adenomyosis ,PCOS as well. I
My Trigycerides are high and my HDL are low. Before my surgery I had bloodwork done and my total Cholesteral was 254. I was not put on any meds and did nt change my diet and after the hyst it dropped down to 222. My sugar level on a fast was 100 was put on Metformin, but never realy took it. Now it is 102 on a fast. I am back on Metformin. I take 1 pill 2x a day. They are 500mg pills. Is 102 on a fast realy that bad?? My Endocrinologist felt it was boarderline. Is it realy something I should be concerned about??

Also, I tend to get ringing or buzzing in my ears alot. Mainly in my right ear. Does that have anything to do with Insulin Resistance.

Thanks for any insight you can give me.

Old 08-16-2005, 04:02 PM   #8
(female)

trekgirl HB User

I am on metformin and no problems with the liver. All you have to do is to keep it monitored regularly. Diabetes is already doing a number on the liver, meds only play a small part, disease plays a bigger role. Just keep monitoring the liver with regular blood work every so often. Good luck.

Old 08-17-2005, 07:22 AM   #9
Inactive

jcorn59483 HB User

DJL

Hi

I too had a hysterectomy within a year of the birth of my son, due to uncontrollable bleeding. I kept my ovaries. I would strongly suggest that you keep an eye on your sugar, even though it may not seem to be bad yet. Control carb consumption and when you eat carbs, focus on whole-grain, unrefined carbs, preferably with as much fiber as possible. Aim to keep your blood sugar even, with no major peaks or lows.

Every person with PCOS is different but at your age I can say my cholesterol was borderline high and my good cholesterol was very good. Now, at 50, my cholesterol was very, very bed before going on Crestor. I am terrified of Crestor but it has helped.

My experience with this disease is that it worsens with age and the symptoms do need to be addressed as soon as possible because a woman with PCOS may very well be at INCREASED risk for diabetes, heart disease, obesity, infertility and a host of other problems. I had infertility and only got pregant with a regular exercise program, strict monitoring and some Clomid (infertility med).

PCOS wasn't even on the radar screen when I was young so I had no idea that gettng my first period at age 26 was any big deal - although I knew it was unusual.

The theory about PCOS is that it is tied to insulin resistance and, therefore, Metformin can be a big help in keeping the insulin levels balanced, placing less stress on the pancreas/liver (compared to no treatment), etc.

Without meds, I have gained weight like crazy (in spite of eating a balanced diet and running 2 hours day (!), have acne now and then, etc.
The hysterectomy took away my symptoms of bleeding but, in a way, allowed the condition to go "underground" until I got new symptoms that could not be ignored.

I am desperate enough now to try some meds and see what happens.

Old 08-17-2005, 09:06 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

djl HB Userdjl HB Userdjl HB User

Hi JCorn

thanks for the reply. I am trying to stay away from carbs as much as possible. Sometimes though I get such a carb withdral like a drug addict. All I want is carbs !!
I do have to go for a follow up with the Endocrinologist in Oct and this week I have to go for another Lipid Panel test because my GP said some oth the tests came back a little funny with my Liver for some reason.
I also have dealt with Acne problems. I had it bad when I was a teen. I haVE ALWAYS HAD IRREGULAR PERIODS TOO. I don't miss them now !! I have 2 kids I had them young. My son is 19 and my daughter is 18. I had problems with my pregnancies and they think I had Pregnancy Diabeties with my daughter. When they sent me for the Gluocose test it came back a little high so they sent me for more gluocose testing and I could not keep that stuff you drink down. It made me very sick !! It all came right back up so they put me on a special diet.

My aunt has type 2 diabeties. I want to try to avoid getting to that point.

Old 08-17-2005, 10:39 AM   #11
Inactive

jcorn59483 HB User

Just a suggestion about the carb withdrawal -

Try a bit of protein before you go for the carbs. I have found that low-carb peanut butter on whole grain bread or even on just plain celery sticks can allow my body to lose the craving to eat every carb in sight. Also, it isn't an "all or nothing" thing. If you want to eat some potato chips once in awhile, go for it or you'll feel deprived.

I have found, though, that giving into the craving results in blood sugar swings that make me crave MORE carbs. So if I want potato chips, I'll eat a baked potato instead.

Crazy as it seems, getting enough water reduces carb cravings. Sometimes thirst makes one crave carbs - I have NO idea why.

Also, there is low carb chocolate out there. It isn't as great as the "real" stuff but I happen to love the mint versions.

Even though it is low carb, candy bars or low carb ice cream is still closer to junk food (although the ice cream does have some calcium) and I tend to try and get my food in the most natural form - eating veggies instead of drinking vegetable juice, etc.

I know it can be hard to stick to a diet like this but the low carb fudge bars (ice cream) are yummy too and help with chocolate cravings.

Closed Thread