It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2005, 08:10 AM   #1
(female)

PhyllisAnn HB User
Best time to check blood sugar?

I was told by the dr. to take my blood sugar...first thing in the morning..(before breakfast)..and then before supper. I also take it before bedtime for myself. Should I take it a 4th time..perhaps before or after lunch? Only thing is...the lancets and especially the strips can get expensive. Even though I have insurance. Since I'm newly diagnosed..I feel better doing it at least three times a day. Just wondering what everyone else does.

Old 09-20-2005, 08:36 AM   #2
(female)

KarenMorris HB User
Re: Best time to check blood sugar?

I take mine fasting and 2 hours after one meal a day. That is all my doctor will allow. I personally would feel better doing it fasting and after every meal. I would be careful doing an extra test yourself.

I had some problems with my blood sugar this month and started testing 4 times a day (fasting and after every meal). Problem is that I'm currently almost out of test strips and Aetna won't allow me to get any more test strips until Sept 27. So now I'm stuck just doing it fasting and hope I can make it to next week.

I have to tell you, it's EXTREMELY frustrating to deal with my insurance company.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2005, 09:14 AM   #3
(male)

Dog House HB User

I test 4 times a day, first thing in the morning and 2 hours after every meal. At least once a week I test before lunch and supper.

I'm lucky with my insurance, we have a mail order program, so I can get a 3 month supply for $35. I would recommend that anyone with insurance check to see if they have a similar program. This saves me ~$160 per year.

Old 09-20-2005, 12:19 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

It is very important to test fasting (before breakfast) and 2 hrs. after meals. A good idea to test before bed also.

Ask your doctor for more strips on a prescription so you will have the choice as to how many times to test. Insurance will pay for the amount the doctor prescri bes.

The only way we can keep check on BS is by testing, testing, etc. We learn what various foods do to our BS and then make corrections as needed.

Old 09-20-2005, 12:31 PM   #5
Inactive

JacquelineL HB User

I checked my fasting blood sugar for a while, but it never varied much--95-105, so I only check it once a week now. I was checking two hours after meals, but my breakfast reading showed little change, so I check it about three times a week. My meal doesn't vary much, either cereal or eggs. I do continue to check after lunch and dinner, since there is quite a variation in foods eaten.

Old 09-22-2005, 08:54 PM   #6
(female)

PhyllisAnn HB User

Yeah..I might ask the dr. to prescribe more test strips and lancets..being that right now..I at least like to check my BS three times a day..instead of two. I have mail order...but the first time always do it through the pharmacy..then do mail order. And I get things for three months at a time too..and it ends up cheaper that way.

Old 09-23-2005, 07:27 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

I think the best time is the first thing in the morning. Then eat properly the rest of the day!!

Old 09-23-2005, 03:02 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

PhyllisAnn,
A good way to test when you're a newbie is every morning fasting, and then scatter some tests throughout the day. Maybe a couple of days test 2 hours after breakfast, a couple of days two hours after lunch, a couple of days two hours after dinner, and then scatter a few tests between pre-meals and bedtime.

Incidentally, you can reuse lancets for several times before they get too dull. I usually change my lancets once a week, and I test 6-8 times a day! Do not use alcohol to wipe off your fingers or the lancets...alcohol makes your skin tougher. Just wash your hands before testing if you haven't recently done so. And keep the lancet in your lancet device, ready to go for the next test.

I would definitely ask your doctor to prescribe enough test strips for 3-4 test per day. If the response is "Oh, you don't need to test that often," you can tell him/her that you're in this for the long haul, and the more information you have, the better you can manage your diabetes and the better off you'll be. Most insurance plans will cover whatever number of strips the doctor feels is necessary, and 4 per day is not an unreasonable amount even if you're not on insulin.

Ruth

Old 09-24-2005, 08:56 PM   #9
(female)

Shania4me HB User

I always check my glucose levels in the morning before breakfast and two hours after I eat a meal such as lunch or dinner. I don't have to do it as often now as I used to as my sugar levels have always been in the normal range.

Anne

Closed Thread