It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2005, 06:04 AM   #1
(female)

krissy1970 HB User
Fruity taste in mouth

does anyone here, wake up in the mornings, and have an odd weird, almost fruity taste in their mouths? Just wondering, it's been happening for the past few months.

Last edited by krissy1970; 10-19-2005 at 06:04 AM.

Old 10-19-2005, 09:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
Re: Fruity taste in mouth

How have your sugars been? Often that taste (and smell on the breath) is a sign of ketones.

Cora

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2005, 05:29 PM   #3
(female)

krissy1970 HB User

well not sure, but bought some ketone urine test strips, yesterday and today it stayed negative, but tonight it has spiked and it's showing it's in the small range, or moderate, looks in between......is this normal?

Last edited by krissy1970; 10-19-2005 at 07:00 PM.

Old 10-19-2005, 09:49 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Krissy,

If your blood sugar is running over 250 AND you have ketones, you must do something to get your blood sugar down and flush out the ketones. If insulin does not bring your levels down, then you need to go to the ER.

On the other hand, if your blood sugar is okay but you have mild ketosis, you may be able to get rid of it by simply drinking lots of water to flush the ketones out of your system.

Are you also following a low carb diet? That can cause ketones, but wouldn't be very dangerous if it was also keeping your blood sugar levels down. The only problem with ketones is that they cause your kidneys to work harder to flush them, and if you've got any kidney damage, this would not be good.

So, the questions are:

How are your blood sugars running?
Are you on insulin?
Have you had a recent kidney function test? (Creatinine, creatinine clearance, GFR)?

Ruth

Old 10-20-2005, 06:04 AM   #5
(female)

krissy1970 HB User

What I think happened yesterday is when I was at my sons high school waiting for him to come out, I started feeling really bad. I got burning sensation in my stomache and moved up into my chest, my heart was pumping fast and hard and I got very dizzy I got all jittery, I swear I thought I was going to pass out right there. I just about had the shcool call 911 for me, but as I sat there I concentrated on lowering my heart beat. I started feeling slightly better, but still bad, took everything I had to make it home and stay alert enough to do it, thought I was going to lose it when I was about home, I was driving, not good! I got home, pumped sugar into me, laid down and fell asleep for an hour. woke up, starving again, ate a bowl of sugary cereal then laid back down and slept for another hour. woke up hungry again....then it was time to cook dinner. Was still tired and wanted to go back to sleep. But feeling better....I then took my ketone tests and showed a spike, the stick was purple.

I did drink a bottle of water before I went to bed and it has dropped back down to negative again.

I have not yet been tested for diabetes, but I'm going to the ER this morning, along with my used ketone tests and see if they will test me and give me something to stop this dizzyiness. Both grandfathers were insulin dependent. One took 3 shots a day, the other took insulin pills.

I'm not on any low carb diet, I'm not on any diet, actually I have to eat more now than before, if not I will surley passout.

This has all happened within the past week. I was fine except I did have other signs of possible diabetes. Slow healing wounds, constant thirst, constant urination, etc.

now I am on the verge of collasping without sugar it seems.

Old 10-20-2005, 10:26 AM   #6
(female)

Shop HB User

Sounds like diabetes to me . Get to that ER and find out for sure.

Feel better. Stay on this message board also for support and help in the future.
Please take care of yourself and STOP eating the sugary stuff. It's making your blood sugar spike and drop and that is why you feel like crap.

If you are diabetic, you will need to go for diabetes education and learn to count carbohydrates and check your blood sugar and various intervals that are recommended for you. Exercise is a must as well as weight loss if you are overweight.

One more thing... if you do feel weak again, try to eat something that is not a pure carbohydrate. Have a glass of milk... it is a perfect combination of protein and carb.

Old 10-21-2005, 05:55 AM   #7
(female)

krissy1970 HB User

thanks for the advise on the milk, I will remember that when I start to feel bad.

I did go to the ER, I made a new thread for that one.

I'm going to research herbs today, I'm big on herbs and maybe I can help ease some of the symptoms of this somewhat till I can get to a real doctor for blood work.

plus get a glucose monitor and start keeping track of each reading to show the doctors what is happening in my blood.

I know I'm not crazy, I know there is something wrong.

Old 10-21-2005, 11:31 AM   #8
(female)

Shop HB User

You know your own body. You can get a glucose meter practically for free. the strips are pricey, but if you just check your fasting daily and pick 1 more 2 hour check after a meal of your choice, you will see what is happening. You need to be under 100 for a normal fasting and no more than 140 2 hours after a meal.

Write down exactly what you are eating so you will see a pattern for your blood sugar. It will also help a diabetes educator with finding out what is happening.

See how it goes.

Closed Thread