It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2005, 07:37 AM   #1
(female)

Janni HB User
Insulin costs/prices & Medicare drug law

I've been using Novolog 70/30 pens, which although convenient, are a very expensive delivery system if one doesn't have really good insurance. I've had a good Senior health plan, but now they have to revise it to comply with the new Medicare drug law, and long story short, I'm going to end up having to pay full price for my all my RX for at least 4 months of the year because of that blasted Medicare "donut hole", whereas before I could get the Novolog insulin for a $20 copay for each pack all year. This is going to increase my RX costs anywhere from $500-800 a year if I can't find cheaper alternatives. I'm seriously thinking of asking the DR if there is a less expensive form of insulin I could use that would work for me. Any ideas? Anybody know anything about prices on various forms of insulin?

As an aside, I think that new medicare law absolutely stinks - maybe it will help some folks somewhere, but as far as I'm concerned, it wrecked a really good health plan, and I'll really feel the pinch.

Old 10-27-2005, 10:12 AM   #2
Inactive

JacquelineL HB User
Re: Insulin costs/prices & Medicare drug law

I agree with you on the Medicare drug bill. It only works for low income and and I am afraid that a lot of us are going to lose our prescription coverage when companies decide to save money by dropping their coverage and leaving us with the Medicare plan.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2005, 06:15 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

almonkey HB User
Re: Insulin costs/prices & Medicare drug law

I hear what you are saying however you get what you pay for. The less expensive insulin will give you a greater risk for hypoglycemia, will not give you as good after meal blood sugar control, and does not come in the pen you currently use.

My suggestion is to look for the rebates and free coupons that are on the web, in the waiting rooms, or at the pharmacy. With these you can save hundreds of dollars. If you really cant manage the other month or two, move to the vial of the same insulin and or ask your doc for a sample or two. Thats what they are there for if you really cant afford it.

Keeping your blood sugars in control is extremely important! Since there are rebates & coupons available, use them and stay where you are. Changing to a cheaper insulin could cost you more in the LONG RUN! Also, see if you qualify for the patient assistance program.

Last edited by almonkey; 10-27-2005 at 06:18 PM.

Closed Thread