It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2005, 01:17 PM   #1

depaul HB User
Carbs to blood sugar to insulin ratios?

What is your carb to blood sugar to insulin ratios?

I know my blood sugar to insulin ratio (currently 1 unit insulin to 3 points of blood suger) but that means I'm always dosing to correct high blood sugar. I would prefer to dose with a meal or just before and keep my blood suger in a normal range. To do so I have to guess how the carb amount of my meal will effect my blood sugar.

I can't get a handel on the ratio. It's all over the board. If several of you would reply to this post (if you know your carb to blood sugar ratio) that would help a lot.

What I mean is - 1 gram of complex carbs raises your blood sugar how many points? How many points per 10 grams of complex carbs? What about simple carbs like pasta, bread, beans, fruit? How many grams of simple carbs does it take to raise your blood sugar 10 points?

I'll post my results after I receive your answers.
Thanks.
DePaul

Last edited by depaul; 11-03-2005 at 01:28 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2005, 05:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sharon1030 HB User
Smile Re: Carbs to blood sugar to insulin ratios?

Hi,

I don't know how many points my BG goes up for 1 g of carb because there are so many factors besides food that enter into the equation. I do know that I have several insulin to carb ratios. For breakfast I take 1 unit per 12 grams of carbs; lunch it's 1:15g; dinner it's 1:10g and snack before bed it's 1:15g. My insulin sensitivity is 45 meaning that it takes 1 unit of insulin to get me down 45 points. So, if I'm at 145 and I want to be at 100, I'll take 1 unit. Hope this helps.

Sharon

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2005, 10:11 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: Carbs to blood sugar to insulin ratios?

Wow, Sharon, I had no idea you had such a complicated carb/insulin regimen. How does that work with the bolus wizard?

DePaul...If you can stand it, try to eat the same thing at each meal for several days (or at least pick one or two meals you can do this at...like maybe breakfast?) Weigh and measure everything, then figure out the carb content. Start off with 1 unit to every 15 grams of carbs (do this for a couple of days) and test 2 hours after eating. If your blood sugar is okay, then your ratio is correct. If not okay, then try upping it to 1 unit for every 12 grams. My own personal ratio is 1 unit for every 10 grams of carbs, and I know many people are on 1:8.

The carb to blood sugar ratio is entirely different and does not correlate to the carb to insulin ratio. For most people, 1 gram of carb will raise the blood sugar around 3-5 points. The best thing to do when treating a low is to take something that you know to be around 15 grams of carbs, then wait 15 minutes and test...if the bg is coming up, do not treat again, but test again in another 15 minutes. Usually by that time you'll be fine. If the bg is NOT coming up after 15 minutes, then treat with another 15g of carbs.

How to treat a low also depends on a variety of factors. For example, if I'm in the 60's, and I know I'll be eating within a half hour, I might just take 5g carbs. On the other hand, if I'm in the 60's and I won't be eating a meal for more than an hour, I'll definitely take the entire 15g of carbs, maybe even more if I'm exercising.

Even if planning to eat within a half hour, if I'm in the low 50's or below, I'd take 15g of carbs.

Ruth

Old 11-04-2005, 10:25 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User

Hi. I have only 2 insulin to carb ratios. between 7 am and 11 am I take 1 unit for 25 grams of carb and the rest of the day I take 1 unit for 20 g. It's a bit hard to keep control of what I'm eating because I fall into the habit of thinking of 1 unit as one of the old "Bread exchanges"

For high blood sugar if I take 1 unit it drop 4 points (that's Canadian - for those in the US that's about 72 points) Thank goodness the pump allows me to bolus as little as 0.1 units and change my basal by as little as 0.05.

Figuring out your own insulin:carb and insulin drop amounts is a lot of trial and error. Try picking one portion of the day and work on that until things are settled and then move on. I don't mean don't test and try to keep good control, just concentrate on one area first. You won't feel so overwhelmed.

Take care everyone.

Cora

Old 11-04-2005, 06:49 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sharon1030 HB User

Hi Ruth,

I've only figured out my insulin:carb ratios since going on the pump and a lot of trial and error. In the bolus wizard setup, there's room to put many different ratios so it's not more complicated than using one for the whole day. Hope you're doing okay.

Have a nice weekend, everyone.

Sharon

Old 11-07-2005, 03:07 PM   #6

depaul HB User

Sharon1030

Thanks for the reply. This is the first time I've asked others about their treatments. Just so I know we are on the same page I use a 1cc syringe marked for 100 units. I currently take 7 units per 15 grams of simple carbs. That's about seven times your dosage, right?

Because you don't take as much insulini as I do that suggests that your pancrease either produces more insulin than mine or you are more sensitive to insulin than I am, right? My pancrease must be shot to all hell. If I'm not understanding this correctly please let me know.

Thanks for sharing.

Old 11-07-2005, 03:20 PM   #7

depaul HB User

Ruth
Thanks for the reply. You write that your ratio is 10 grams of carbs requires 1 unit of insulin. I require 4.6 units of insulin (Humalog) for 10 grams of simple carbs. So I'm more than 4 times more sensitive than you, is that right?

You suggest starting out with 1 unit of insulin for every 15 grams of carbs consumed. Right now I'm at about 7 units for 15 grams but as Sharon wrote, there are many factors that affect Blood Sugar (quantity, type of carb - complex/simple, what else was eaten with the meal, how much cardio exercise was done pre meal/post meal). I'm just wondering if I have a handle on this. Four times your ratios seems high but then again maybe not.

Depaul

Old 11-07-2005, 07:30 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Actually DePaul, you're 4 times LESS sensitive to insulin than I. And that does, indeed, seem high, but perhaps there are other factors. For example, the more overweight a person is, the less insulin sensitive their tissues are and the more insulin they will have to take.

Regardless of what you take now, test your ratios the way I suggested in the previous post. If the numbers are not where they should be, you can tweak your ratio. For example, if you eat a breakast of 45g carbs, for which you would currently take 21 units, and your blood sugar at the 2-hour mark after eating is not over 160, then your ratio is probably okay (or, if you want a bit tighter control, you may have to add just 1 unit per 15g carbs, and then retest). If, on the other hand, your numbers are still way too high (like over 180), then you definitely need to up your insulin/carb ratio. I would do it by one unit/15g, then test (several times), see where you're at, and if neccessary add another unit/15g. If you only make small changes, you shouldn't get into too much trouble!

And yes, all those other factors can effect the blood sugar, but for the most part, once you get your ratios right, they should be okay for most occasions. The one thing us pump users have a major advantage in is that if we eat high-fat meals, we can divide our meal bolus in half, with half going in immediately and half going in over a period of a few hours to compensate for the slower absorption of carbs due to the fat content. But you only need to do this if the meal is really high-fat (like pizza, for example).

Ruth

Old 11-07-2005, 07:46 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

sharon1030 HB User

Hi Depaul,

Ruth explained some of the reasons why people may take different amounts of insulin under similar circumstances (weight, insulin sensitivity). I have Type 1 diabetes (I forget if you have 1 or 2) and because of that, my pancreas produces NO insulin. As Ruth, I'm on a pump.

Sharon

Closed Thread