It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2005, 01:53 PM   #1
(female)

pinkladyka HB User
High Blood Sugar in Evenings

Hi, can anyone suggest anything to help me...I have now been type 1 for about 6 weeks from reading all the other postings it seems that i haven't recieved the information i should of done.
I am on Novomix 30 which is a fast and slow acting insulin 8mm twice a day and have been struggling with my blood sugar levels, they are in the correct levels every morning but every night the levels are high anything between 10 and 17!! which is not good. Everyone elso to me seems to be adjusting their insulin according to the amount of carbs they eat, i have not been told to count my carbs or when to up and down my doses. I have only really had 2 appointments with my diabetic nurse and am not due to go back. How do i get my levels down in the evening?? i am beginning to get really frustrated, there is no reason for them to be so high as i do not eat anything i shouldn't and im eating really well. It seems if i only have a very light lunch the evening levels are where they should be, why is that??

Please can someone help as this is all new to me.

Thanks everyone.

Laura aka pinkladyka.xxxx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2005, 05:27 PM   #2
(female)

Linda1629 HB User
Re: High Blood Sugar in Evenings

You've only been recently diagnosed so try not to worry about the high numbers too much. It'll get better as you go along. It can be very difficult to get those numbers under control and, as you're seeing, certain times of the day can be worse than others. Try not to get discouraged.

What you can try is to exercise at night. Test your blood sugar and if it's high then go on the treadmill or do some other exercise for a little while. It'll bring your sugar up temporarily but then it will bring it down after that. Test about an hour after you've exercised and see if it's helped any.

Another thing you can do is to cut the amount of carbs you are eating at night. Don't cut it by a lot but maybe 15 carbs at a time and see if that helps any. Fifteen carbs would be one piece of bread or about 1/2 cup of potatoes.

With the insulin you're using, I'm really not sure how much room there is for adjustments. I guess it depends on your blood sugar readings at other times of the day. The further you get into this, the easier it will be. Are you able to call your doc with your readings? Maybe he can suggest a change in your insulin amount that will help with those nighttime numbers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2005, 06:31 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

almonkey HB User

Laura,
What times in the evening is high? After dinner or before bedtime? What is your am blood sugar before you eat? The novolog mix 70/30 has a dosing card that shows how many units to add depending on the blood sugar opposite the pre-meal. Keep a good log so you can learn what certain foods do to your sugar levels. With this info you can help yourself and your sugar levels.
The key is to lower blood sugars and figure out what causes your blood sugars to go up. Its more of an art than a science. Just be patient and keep lots of notes.
Like Linda said you may help your levels by limiting your carbs at dinner....keep this in mind...
We need carbs, good carbs, 100% of carbs raise blood sugar but the good ones do it slower and within reason...good carbs are fruits & veggies. Bad carbs turn quickly to sugar and make our blood sugars SPIKE- juice, non grain breads (white), chips, anything that comes in a box...
50% of proteins and 10% of fats are responsible for blood sugars.
If your 2 hr after dinner tends to be high try a dinner of fish or chicken w/ veggies. Having a small salad w/ dressing before or after the meal is great. Use regular dressing as the fat in the dressing helps you feel full. Drink lots of water.
Good health to you!

Old 11-18-2005, 02:20 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

pipermac HB User

It does sound like you may not have had the correct training. you may not even be on the right Insulin for you. This does not mean that your doctor made a mistake. Its just that getting the correct Insulin an dosages is mainly trial and error. 6 weeks is still very early. you say you are not due to go back? That does not seem right. You should be going back on a regular basis. Since this is so new I would expect that you should probably be going at least every three months. I have been TypeI for 25 years and I still go every 6 months. Being that this is so new I would think they would want you back soon so that they can monitor your levels and ajust you insulin if needed.

Knowing how to ajust your insulin and by how much is not something that you can learn over night. It is something the you learn over a long period of time as you get to know yourself.

Personally...I take a Shot of Lantus Insulin every night before bed and a shot of humalog before each meal. To me this allows for the tightest control. It can be a paing to take 4 injections a day...but it allows for the most flexability. If I eat too many carbs at one meal and I am too high after that meal I can easily just give my self an extra small shot of humalog to compensate.

If you feel you can handle 4 shots a day then I would recommend you ask your doctor about this. When I started this regime my Control Quickly got much better then it was.

Closed Thread