It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2005, 11:22 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

almonkey HB User
High Sugar and Suppression of Immune System

I just read an article that said the reason your immune system is suppressed when you have high blood sugars is because Vitamin C and glucose have similiar chemical structures and when you blood sugar goes up the two compete to get into the cell. This article stated that having a blood sugar of just 120 reduces Vitamin C's ability to enter the cell by 75%....thus leaving you open to not be able to fend off even the common cold unlike your non-diabetic counterparts can.

The article further advised that it doesn't matter what disease we are talking about, whether we are talking about a common cold or about cardiovascular disease, or cancer or osteoporosis, the root is always going to be at the cellular and molecular level, and more often than not insulin is going to have its hand in it, if not totally controlling it.

So if you arent convinced that controlling blood sugars should be your number one goal and everything else will fall into place then please do some research.

As Ive said before, it doesnt matter what it is that you are taking. If you are not getting your blood sugar levels down to close to normal, you are doing a serious injustice to yourself and those that love you. Ask to move to the next step and dont let anyone, not even your physician tell you that you are ok if you are above 6.5. Your goal should be to get to 7 then get under it! Good health to you all!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2005, 09:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: High Sugar and Suppression of Immune System

Interesting article, Al. And I could not agree with you more! People need to wake up to the fact that diabetes can affect every single molecule in your entire body, and that tight control will not only prevent the major complications, but will keep you feeling a whole heck of a lot healthier in general.

Ruth

Closed Thread