It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2005, 06:42 PM   #1
(female)

schmoo47 HB User
Diuretics And Blood Glucose

Hi:

I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes almost 2 years ago and have kept it under control by losing 50 lbs., exercise and watching what I eat; no meds. Until about 2 months ago, I was on a diuretic (Hyzaar 50/12.5) for high blood pressure. My blood pressure was going too low (I felt dizzy and no energy), so my doctor changed from Hyzaar (which has a diuretic) to Cozaar (no diuretic). Since the change to Cozaar, my fasting and pre-lunch numbers have improved significantly (fasting has gone from 110-118 to 94-105). The problem is, my blood pressure is not as controlled ranging from 145/85 upon awakening (it goes down after I take my blood pressure meds) to 140/87 in the late afternoon. My numbers on the diuretic were much lower. Now I am afraid my blood pressure is going too high, but my blood levels have gone down. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how much an effect taking a diuretic affects your blood levels. I have been really anxious over this, which I know does not help my blood pressure. If I go back on the diuretic, I'm afraid my blood levels will go back up. Any advice on what I should do would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-01-2005, 07:27 PM   #2
(male)

desertdiabetic HB User
Re: Diuretics And Blood Glucose

I don't have an answer to your question, but I do know that blood pressures are a little higher when you first wake in the morning. Just moving around will bring it down. I thought I had a problem because of this only to be told by just about everybody that this happens... I am not saying that the high blood sugars you see in the morning are accepatable - only that it is normal to see a 'higher' pressure in the morning.

Last edited by desertdiabetic; 12-01-2005 at 09:36 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2005, 05:21 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User

I would go to the Dr and find out if there is a blood pressure medication that is not a diuretic you can try. Diuretics have a tendency to dehydrate you. Dehydration will drive blood sugars up. By taking a blood pressure med that only affects your pressure, you can regulate your blood sugars better.

Old 12-03-2005, 02:13 AM   #4
(female)

trekgirl HB User

Have you change eating patterns. Do you eat something before bed? Do you eat the same as before cozaar? Cozaar is a water pill, it will not affect the glucose level, which is the suger in your blood. Another question, when do you take your morning reading? Between 3 and 4 in the morning, is the best time to take a reading, when the glucose is at its lowest. You may have predwn syndrome. Many people have this problem and must get the early morning readings to get a good reading for the morning before eating breakfast. Try an early reading. Good luck.

trekgirl

Old 12-03-2005, 07:37 AM   #5
Inactive

Josie115 HB User

Please get with your doctor about this. I have always had normal to low normal BP readings. I've been dx with diabetes for about 12-15 years. Some time back..maybe 6 yrs. my doc put me on blood pressure meds. With being diabetic, the bar gets lowered as to BP ranges. I've been on 80mgs. diovan for years and it's worked well for me.

I recently asked if a generic diuretic would be possible since the co-pay on the diovan is high. My doctor explained just why a water pill wasn't prescribed for diabetics..it puts too much stress on the kidneys and being diabetic already puts the kidneys at risk. I now don't mind the extra $$ for a good blood pressure med. There are alot of them out there..work with your doc to find the one that works for you.

Closed Thread