It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2005, 08:26 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Live-Life-to-Love HB User
What tests are a MUST?

What medical tests are a MUST to say one has Type II. And what are the numbers that indicate that you are a diabetic?

Thanks!

Old 12-10-2005, 07:23 PM   #2
(male)

desertdiabetic HB User
Re: What tests are a MUST?

I don't know about a "must", but the typical starting point is the fasting blood tests. Because diabetes shows up in more than one way doctors look at more than one thing.

Fasting blood sugars for normal non-diabetics are 65-99. This is an acceptable range where the norm is something like 85. Being high or low within this range is still acceptable. When you get your test results(always get your lab results) this range will be reflected on that chart. I am not sure where the confirmed numbers start for diabetics as opposed to pre-diabetics. Because there can be reasons for elevated numbers one blood test does not confirm diabetes if it is above the norm range(65-99). Very high numbers will get you diagnosed on the spot, unless the doctor is looking at some other reason for the numbers being so high. I was something like 150 fasting and there was no question about it. My other blood results also were a factor as well as my weight.

If the doctor runs a HbA1c(A1c) the norm range for non-diabetic is 4.2 to 4.7. The diabetic range is 6.0 and above. Pre-diabetes falls below 6.0. Again, being above the 4.2 to 4.7 a little will not spark interest on its own. This test indicates what your blood glucose levels have averaged over the previous 90 days. However, combine an elevated A1c along with elevated fasting blood glucose levels along with other blood test results out of range speaks loudly. Of course, very large fasting bg numbers just yell out at you. Support them with the A1c results and you can make a good determination.

I know this not the 'exact' kind of numbers you are interested in.... I just hope you ge the idea what you can expect to see when you get your results back.

You can do both of these tests(fasting bg and A1c) at home yourself. However, you should consult an MD with the results and get all the test panels done.

Last edited by desertdiabetic; 12-11-2005 at 12:20 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2005, 07:33 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Two fasting blood glucose levels of 126 or greater are usually enough to diagnose type 2. Or a few non-fasting blood glucose levels above 180.

Ruth

Old 12-13-2005, 12:18 PM   #4
(male)

Dog House HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamQKitty
Two fasting blood glucose levels of 126 or greater are usually enough to diagnose type 2. Or a few non-fasting blood glucose levels above 180.

Ruth
or a single above 200. Mine was 3something.

Closed Thread