It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diabetes Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2006, 06:21 AM   #1
(female)

aaronsmom47 HB User
Diabetes with itchy skin

Hello Readers;
I have had type 2 diabetes for about 2 years and I have very itchy skin from it .Would like to know what you take for the itchy skin. I have taken Allegra but now my insurance won't cover it any more. Am taking Claritan D 24 hour at this time but it is raising my blood pressure. Any suggestions?

aaronsmom47

Old 01-07-2006, 09:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: Diabetes with itchy skin

The itchiness in diabetics is usually not due to allergies but, rather, to excessively dry skin.

Simply slathering on a good body cream after every shower can go a long way to relieving the condition. I've used DiabetiDerm, which is available (without prescription) at most drugstores at the pharmacy...it isn't with the regular skin lotions...and sometimes they have to order it. But pretty much any good cream/lotion will do if you use it consistently. When you bathe, just pat yourself dry and immediately use the lotion or cream. Even the scented ones, like those you get at Bath & Body Works, work well if you use them every day.

You'll probably find that the problem gets much worse in the winter and abates somewhat in the summer, when there's more humidity in the air.

Ruth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2006, 01:35 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

lane413 HB User

i am diabetic and I use the Aveeno bath and loation. It is for dry skin. I was diagnosised last yr with diabetes 2, and notice an unbearable itch. The aveeno works great for me. My mom uses olay shea butter bath to avoid the dry skin problems.

As stated any good lotion or cream will do, or you could try what im using. Hope you find the cute, good luck!

Old 01-08-2006, 08:22 PM   #4
(female)

smackliet HB User

I hav the same issue although not just any cream or lotion help me. A pharmasist suggested a gold bond lotio for my hand and i just started using the aveno shower ger. is helps alot i also use neutragena body oil right after showering. My feet itch alot if i dont put heavy lotion on before my socks. I use the gold bond for that too.

Old 01-09-2006, 12:50 PM   #5
(male)

Dog House HB User

Staying well hydrated (drink lots of water) also helps.

Old 01-09-2006, 09:16 PM   #6
(female)

sapphires HB User

I also have this trouble and found that, if I just shower every other day instead of every day and make the water not as hot as I used to, that helped keep my skin from drying out so much and allowed some natural body oils to help out, especially on my scalp. I love that Gold Bond lotion, though. In the winter, it does get worse, and I like the Avon Skin-So-Soft if I bathe and the Gold Bond lotion if I shower, which I alternate.

Old 01-13-2006, 09:26 AM   #7
(female)

scrapitall HB User

Hi. I'm new on here, and found myself itching so badly this morning I had to find some answers, and I found this board. I don't know if it is dry skin though, because it is out of the blue that I get these bouts of itching. (I've had this happen 3 or 4 times in the past couple of years). It feels more like a reaction because it is isolated areas that welt up in hives. There are 2 things I'm wondering...my blood sugar was really high yesterday, so is there any relationship to high bs and itching, or...to get by bs back under control I have been giving myself quite a lot of extra insulin injections so is there a relationship to the extra insulin and the itching? Thanks for any help.
Linda

Closed Thread